Linux auto update

byakuya32

byakuya32

You should allow us to auto update and setup an update schedule in an updates tab in emby on Linux so we don't need to use the terminal for updates.

sydlexius
25 minutes ago, byakuya32 said:

You should allow us to auto update and setup an update schedule in an updates tab in emby on Linux so we don't need to use the terminal for updates.

The problem with this is handling the updates to the dependencies as well (ex: .NET 6.x).  To me, this is best handled by the operating system's update mechanism.

byakuya32
1 minute ago, sydlexius said:

The problem with this is handling the updates to the dependencies as well (ex: .NET 6.x).  To me, this is best handled by the operating system's update mechanism.

It could be just a script that is issued by emby to run the commands in the os.

sydlexius
6 hours ago, byakuya32 said:

It could be just a script that is issued by emby to run the commands in the os.

The challenge with this approach is that it usually takes and admin account or an account in the sudo group to perform commands such as yum, apt, etc.; sudoers also requires a password reprompt. It is risky to grant a service this level of privilege. 

• Agree 1

byakuya32
9 hours ago, sydlexius said:

The challenge with this approach is that it usually takes and admin account or an account in the sudo group to perform commands such as yum, apt, etc.; sudoers also requires a password reprompt. It is risky to grant a service this level of privilege. 

A service account should have the rights to update the application that it is running and its dependacies or else it is not a true service account and just a standard user account.

Junglejim

Yep I agree with @sydlexius, this is hard to do in Linux because of the security involved. Even with a admin account with root privilege's you still need the password. You could login as root but that's crazy shit.. 🙂

As for adding users to sudo group, that's also a little crazy in my opinion. Linux is a solid, secure, stable OS because it lets no one into that area (without a password) but it's up to you of course how you proceed. 😆 Good luck!

Edited by Junglejim

byakuya32
48 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

Yep I agree with @sydlexius, this is hard to do in Linux because of the security involved. Even with a admin account with root privilege's you still need the password. You could login as root but that's crazy shit.. 🙂

Sounds like maybee the solution may be to add emby to the app repository so it will update on the apt upgrade and then the apt upgrade command can run on a schedule easily.

• Agree 1

sydlexius
8 hours ago, byakuya32 said:

Sounds like maybee the solution may be to add emby to the app repository so it will update on the apt upgrade and then the apt upgrade command can run on a schedule easily.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Sounds like an admin/feature request is in order! 

Junglejim
On 12/03/2022 at 18:05, byakuya32 said:

Yep that could work, or run Emby via a docker and have Watchtower auto update your containers.

I personally run Emby via a docker container but I update the container manually when I see a update is available.

byakuya32
6 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Yep that could work, or run Emby via a docker and have Watchtower auto update your containers.

I personally run Emby via a docker container but I update the container manually when I see a update is available.

Docker is not an option as gpu passthrough does not work on debian 11 as the nvidia dicker dies not support cgroups v2 yet.

• 1 year later...
byakuya32

@Lukewhat would be the change of publishing emby in a repository so apt and dnf can handle in stalling Emby and keeping it up to date or when new updates come out just run DNF update or DNF update and both dnf and apt can be configured for automatic updates

16 hours ago, byakuya32 said:

@Lukewhat would be the change of publishing emby in a repository so apt and dnf can handle in stalling Emby and keeping it up to date or when new updates come out just run DNF update or DNF update and both dnf and apt can be configured for automatic updates

Hi, yes it's something we've talked about. It's certainly possible for future updates. Thanks.