Could Emby Server offer a setting - may be by addon - to delete media

chrissi55

chrissi55

Would be very pleased if emby server can offer a setting e.g. tagging media content by "prepared for deleting" in a specific period after tagging the content.

e.g. i tag a video by "prepared for deleting" and wish to give a user the last chance to watch the video, after 2 weeks after setting this tag emby server deletes this content by cron job.

So i can set content for a specific period of time available and don't have to delete manually. Content will be deleted by system in dependancy of tag and elapsed time the tag was set.

If there is already an addon doing this i would be very pleased to get the link for this.

Hi, there is currently no automated way of doing it, but you could still do it manually. In other words, tag the content, then delete it later.

chrissi55

OK emby server "at the moment" is not able to do so - that why i posted this into the "Feature request" Forum.

Or is it foreclosed that emby can have such a feature?

trifleneurotic
5 hours ago, chrissi55 said:

OK emby server "at the moment" is not able to do so - that why i posted this into the "Feature request" Forum.

Or is it foreclosed that emby can have such a feature?

I can't speak for @Luke of course, but I wouldn't say "foreclosed". However, it wouldn't be trivial.

The easiest way to do this I assume would be via a native Emby Scheduled Task, but from what I can tell, there is no way to add a "custom" one.

That said, It would be possible to create an API plugin triggered by an external cron, but the KEY issue (I would think) is the answer to the following question:

Is there any Emby API service that can return a field detailing when a tag was applied, in addition to just media with the tag applied?

If the answer to the above question is yes, it would be a little easier, although you'd need to create an API extension plugin that is hit by an external cron job.

If the answer to the above question is no, then you'd have to apply the tag and remove the media manually as Luke said, although you'd have to remember when you applied the tag.

Now, if you have the programming background, you could write a program to do it. As long as the program runs often enough via external cron, it could "remember" the media that has that tag, along with the first time it saw the tag for that piece of media, and then hit the Emby API to delete media, comparing the "first seen" time with the time at that moment. In other words, if the difference between the "first seen" time and the current time is more than, say, two weeks, delete the media.

So I think the answer is generally, Emby doesn't have that feature. It may have it in future, but at this time you'd need to roll your own program running outside of Emby to do what you are asking. If I wasn't already working on another plugin, I'd take a stab at it ;)

Edited by landgazr
Edited for clarity

ginjaninja

maybe

admin applies some 'delete' tags such as delete1week, delete2week etc

a frequently scheduled task which looks for these 'delete' tags, converts to a 'deleteon_dateddmmyy' tag (as per the intention eg +1week, + 2week)

a frequently scheduled task which acts on 'deleteon_dateddmmyy' tags.

as long as users dont have right to manage the server they cant create tags (and risk initiating deletes)

maybe a tag 'ecosystem' is the feature request, to more naturally support such requirements.

• applied tags have custom properties { date applied, applied by userX, customprop1..3}
  • tags have {can be read byusers/groupsY, can by applied byusers/groupsY}
  • tags are {systemtags (selectable/not freetext) vs usercreated (freetext?)}.

image.thumb.png.faa0e0ff4a8d213b739127bfb54abe9d.png

Edited by ginjaninja