Refresh view after watching or other changes not automatic

jasonb1

jasonb1

After watching an item and then going back to the list, the check mark is added but if you're filtered to show only unplayed, the item should disappear as it does with "native" apps such as AndroidTV, Roku. Also, I've noticed that when changing metadata such as re-identifying a movie, it's fixed up in the movie page immediately, but back to the list, it's still the old data.

This problem exists seemingly for all web based apps such as Emby Theater, Android, etc. In a web browser, I can F5 refresh to fix but in the apps packaging up the web UI there isn't a convenient refresh button.

Note that using F5 refresh isn't ideal since you lose your place in the list, so if this incremental update is fixed or a special refresh button is added, hopefully code behind can be added to remember where I was or close to it for the cases where arbitrary items get removed from the list.

Speaking of remembering where you were in the list it would be nice to try and persistently remember where you were in a list and always try to remember that and keep users pinned to where they last were (I've been used to this for years in the SageTV UI). I understand there would be complications with that right now since controls for navigation/filtering are stuck at the top and scrolled away, so there would need to be a way to get to those controls from the side now, etc.

Hi there, can you please show a complete example of what screen you started on, what you played, and then what it looked like when you returned? Thanks.

jasonb1

First example (Sample1.webp): Go to an item, edit the title, go back, title didn't update in the list.

Second example (Sample2.webp): Set unplayed filter, go to an item where there's only one, set played, go back, item still visible in the list (but the "1" icon did disappear immediately and if you hover, the check box is now red).

In my original post, I mentioned this isn't limited to narrow examples like this, and is seemingly a global problem when making changes to individual items (happens similarly in the metadata manager with titles and in movies lists with titles, images and filtering as well.

I realize that if this is fixed, there could be issues with the refresh depending on what changed. Some suggestions to consider: If selected on an item and the data the sort criteria depends on changed, probably keep selected on that item and scroll the list to where the item now ends up. If an item should disappear due to now being filtered out, select the next closest remaining item so that the relative position within the list is preserved.

Sample1.webp Sample2.webp

Edited by jasonb1
Added additional info

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2022 at 8:51 PM, jasonb1 said:

First example (Sample1.webp): Go to an item, edit the title, go back, title didn't update in the list.

Second example (Sample2.webp): Set unplayed filter, go to an item where there's only one, set played, go back, item still visible in the list (but the "1" icon did disappear immediately and if you hover, the check box is now red).

In my original post, I mentioned this isn't limited to narrow examples like this, and is seemingly a global problem when making changes to individual items (happens similarly in the metadata manager with titles and in movies lists with titles, images and filtering as well.

I realize that if this is fixed, there could be issues with the refresh depending on what changed. Some suggestions to consider: If selected on an item and the data the sort criteria depends on changed, probably keep selected on that item and scroll the list to where the item now ends up. If an item should disappear due to now being filtered out, select the next closest remaining item so that the relative position within the list is preserved.

Sample1.webp 6.79 MB · 3 downloads Sample2.webp 5.93 MB · 2 downloads

Hi, we'll look at improving this. Thanks for reporting.