Subtitle Upload

romainsi

romainsi

Hello,

I have been using Emby for a few years now and I must say that it works great ! Thanks to all the team.

However, using it every day, I am regularly confronted with a problem of subtitles not being available on the OpenSubtitles or Addic7ed platforms with Emby, often I find them on small French sites (I think the problem must be present for other languages too :)).

I'm using Emby on a remote server and there are several of us accessing it, everything is done through the web browser (reverse nginx). I decided to set up a "web file browser" (github\filebrowser) to be able to manually copy the subtitle to the location of the video, rename it with the: 'name of the video.fr.srt' then in Emby on the desired video use the option "Update metadata" then F5 so that the subtitle is available but it's tedious.

Would it be possible to have a button to upload a subtitle manually from a file available locally on the PC ?

Sincerely,

Romain.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
MacGyver27

+1

• Separate upload button - definitely accessible on mobile devices
  • Configurable per User/Library (there are libraries where you can never use subtitles)
  • Hen adding subtitles have a button to specify language - so users dont have to add suffix before upload

Thnaks

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, MacGyver27 said:

Separate upload button - definitely accessible on mobile devices

Just curious - in what situation would there be a subtitle file on your phone that you would be uploading into the system?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 8:38 AM, ebr said:

Just curious - in what situation would there be a subtitle file on your phone that you would be uploading into the system?

There can be various reasons for this.

First, the subtitle you're looking for might not be available on the Opensubtitle website. (Only available on Subscene)

Second, you might be sharing with family members who don't have direct access to media files, allowing them to upload the subtitles themselves.

In other situations, you might be away from home and want to add a subtitle. In such cases, it would be beneficial to add the subtitle through the client app.

This is one of the major drawbacks of moving/migrating from Plex to Emby, and it'd be super helpful to have this added as soon as possible.

jaycedk

Tbh this feature is one i would not want.

How are you sure the subtitle is correct ?

Does it have the right timing, or is it worse that the last uploaded.

Are you sure it is a subtitle ?

And not some bad script, using some zero-day exploit.

Letting your users do this is an security risk.

1 hour ago, jaycedk said:

Tbh this feature is one i would not want.

How are you sure the subtitle is correct ?

Does it have the right timing, or is it worse that the last uploaded.

Are you sure it is a subtitle ?

And not some bad script, using some zero-day exploit.

Letting your users do this is an security risk.

Just because you don't see value in this particular feature doesn't mean others won't. Many have requested this particular feature to be added.

You question its accuracy and security. Have you tried Plex to see how the feature works? Plex supports only .srt files to mitigate security risks. If that's your concern, Plex would've had security risk for this feature since they've implemented back in 2017, 6 years ago. But nothing related to that happened in term of security.

When users download a subtitle, the movie's runtime is visible under note and by the sub that's downloaded which subtitles are ranked by quality as well. By comparing the sub with the actual file version, it's easy to determine accuracy as they would match or not.

Now what they do, is just simply uploading that .Srt file to the movie they want to watch and that's it.

Khalixi
On 3/2/2022 at 4:17 PM, Luke said:

Hi, yes I agree this would be a good idea. Thanks.

The feature were requested on march 2022 and still not implemented 

i know the time isn’t the matter on making the feature happen 

but this is an important feature for foreign users and we r not a minority especially Arabic users

i seen before that u guys do feature depending on how many likes or reactions 

this isn’t fair , not all users have access to this forum or know about or at least they don’t that the likes is crucial for the request , but believe me it’s highly requested 

at least make it as only for admin to upload and preferably for all users 

u might think why don’t u just upload it on ur files ? For appbox users that paying for it and they don’t really have access to files 

that what the feature is for basically

i hope it’s done as soon as possible 

17 hours ago, Khalixi said:

u might think why don’t u just upload it on ur files ? For appbox users that paying for it and they don’t really have access to files 

Hi.  How do you upload the media?

Khalixi
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  How do you upload the media?

It’s all done by the provider, I can’t explain the details im not expert on how it’s done 

but appbox is like that u get the media and ur responsible only for managing the server from the app end 

in plex u can upload the sub from a remote device and it’s uploaded somehow on the server

jaycedk

So its not you server, your just managing it.

And its not you purchased movies / tv shows / music ?

You do know Emby is for your media ?

To be used in your home, and Imediat family.

Edited by jaycedk

Khalixi
3 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

You aren’t with the team of emby so why are u answering ? And also ur not interested on the feature so please contribute on something else

• Facepalm 1

sydlexius
5 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

To be used in your home, and Imediat family.

Can we stick to the merits of the request itself?  For example, a scenario using your criteria would be for Anime that lacked subs in a given language, or had dodgy translation work.  There are sites that do provide high quality fan subs.

• Agree 1

Khalixi
1 minute ago, sydlexius said:

Can we stick to the merits of the request itself?  For example, a scenario using your criteria would be for Anime that lacked subs in a given language, or had dodgy translation work.  There are sites that do provide high quality fan subs.

Exactly, for a foreign language the subs is not always correct or syncing right 

so the plugin is not good for foreigns languages , hence we’re requesting this feature 

as a lot of subs need editing or shifting or getting it from websites that aren’t supported by plugins as subscene.com and others for other languages 

crusher11

But if you're doing that, you're doing it on a machine with access to the file system, so you can just drop the subtitle file in the appropriate folder.

I manually download and tweak subtitles all the time, I've never needed this sort of feature. 

Khalixi
1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

But if you're doing that, you're doing it on a machine with access to the file system, so you can just drop the subtitle file in the appropriate folder.

I manually download and tweak subtitles all the time, I've never needed this sort of feature. 

If u have access ur fine but not everyone has access in some cases 

especially if ur abroad not near ur device or the users linked to your acc they as well don’t have access to the files

and even if u have access the upload button is much simpler than moving to file manually to the corresponding movie or tv show 

if it’s not needed why did plex have it for years ? There’s a lot using it 

I just noticed this , if a subtitle downloaded from opensubtitle it’s stored on the server , since this already done why can’t this also be done on uploading my own subtitles outside the opensub site as SRT,ASS files only .. 

IMG_7497.jpeg.30afa8f7a438da8224b191bea312b1b7.jpeg

I don’t think it’s that complicated that it won’t be on the next update @ebr @Luke😉

It’s has a huge positive impact on user experience of arab users and other foreigns🙏

note: I'm a emby premiere user but I’m logged here from another acc.

I just noticed this , if a subtitle downloaded from opensubtitle it’s stored on the server , since this already done why can’t this also be done on uploading my own subtitles outside the opensub site as SRT,ASS files only .. 

Hi, yes it can be. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes it can be. 

Thanks u so much for everything , just saw the beta release features fantastic work of you guys 👏

• Thanks 1