Optimize Emby for music

D1sk

Hello How can I optimize Emby so that the system can handle many music albums?

I have about 340GB of music. That means Emby must display 7450 folders and 92047 music files as mp3.

However, Emby does not cope with this amount and hangs, or can not play the music or crashes when scanning, etc.

An idea would be Emby only for music on another vm to set up, because in this instance are also all the movies and series with it where I never had problems.

Thx for help

Hi there, large libraries should not be a problem. Can we please look at an example of when you're seeing slowdowns?

Thanks.

Happy2Play

What server versions?

What are your system.xml database options?

<VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>false</VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>

<DatabaseCacheSizeMB>256</DatabaseCacheSizeMB>
  <EnableSqLiteMmio>true</EnableSqLiteMmio>

<OptimizeDatabaseOnShutdown>true</OptimizeDatabaseOnShutdown>
  <DatabaseAnalysisLimit>1000</DatabaseAnalysisLimit>

4.7 has a UI

image.png.7d710e40b787e1faa8bfaf10130ee1b2.png

Hello Thx for Help

Its is on DSM nas Version 6

Itz the news Emby version for that relase. 4.6.7

I make a video as you can see after i have past the compled Musik folder.

Emby stucks. is slow and can not load anymore , even so restart not brings a solution.

After I do delete the Albums in Emby all work again fine.

How i come to this Menü?

10 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

What server versions?

What are your system.xml database options?

<VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>false</VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>

<DatabaseCacheSizeMB>256</DatabaseCacheSizeMB>
  <EnableSqLiteMmio>true</EnableSqLiteMmio>

<OptimizeDatabaseOnShutdown>true</OptimizeDatabaseOnShutdown>
  <DatabaseAnalysisLimit>1000</DatabaseAnalysisLimit>

4.7 has a UI

image.png.7d710e40b787e1faa8bfaf10130ee1b2.png

How i do this with dsm Nas?

On the How to report a problem descript site is only recommendet how to make with windows.

Because emby crash in few minutes after reboot. wenn i klick someting.

Only solution is to change Folder path.

If i rename the main folder on the nas an emby dont find this is bring back to normal

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Please post a server log.

Edited by D1sk

Kachelkaiser

I am facing the same issue more and more. Sometimes it takes only seconds until i can see the startscreen or the admn pnale. sometime it takes up to 10 minutes or many reloads.

Recently i chaged the HDR .Compression to Ahrdwar only and since i idd this it sems to be working.

I will have an eye on that.

8 hours ago, Kachelkaiser said:

I am facing the same issue more and more. Sometimes it takes only seconds until i can see the startscreen or the admn pnale. sometime it takes up to 10 minutes or many reloads.

Recently i chaged the HDR .Compression to Ahrdwar only and since i idd this it sems to be working.

I will have an eye on that.

Hi there @Kachelkaiser 

Hi there, large libraries should not be a problem. Can we please look at an example of when you're seeing slowdowns?

Thanks.

Almost guarantee it's what @Happy2Play pointed out.
Add that many records is going to fragment the database and it needs a bit of TLC.

Running a vacuum on it will help reorder the database and make it a lot quicker.  That the last option on the screen shoot Happy2Play uploaded.
Depending on how much RAM you have installed in your NAS or how much is free you will gain a lot by increasing this as well.

96Mb is all that it uses by default but with lots of rows you will likely want to bump that up to 256, 384 or 512.  Even if you set it to 2048 or something crazy large like that does not mean it would be used.  The database will only use as much as makes sense up to the limit set. 256 to 386 will probably be a good number to try assuming you have it free.

• Like 1

I need bit help i am not able to bring the  emby server to run normal.

I think if i change the folder Name of the music and emby can find theme  it goes back to normal run. But emby still hangs when i start. and i can`t managed something or delet the librarie with the music. I stuck

On 2/28/2022 at 10:33 AM, Happy2Play said:

Edited by D1sk

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, D1sk said:

How do you get these settings? @Happy2Play do not see them anywhere

As mentioned earlier it you are on 4.6 you need to look in the system.xml.

They will be in the UI in 4.7.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, D1sk said:

I need bit help i am not able to bring the  emby server to run normal.

I think if i change the folder Name of the music and emby can find theme  it goes back to normal run. But emby still hangs when i start. and i can`t managed something or delet the librarie with the music. I stuck

Hi, Before you start making drastic changes would you like to do a remote support session and let us take a look and give you a hand with proper configuration?

If so hover over my avatar to get the message link.  Use it to send me a private message and we can arrange this.

Carlo

On 2/28/2022 at 10:33 AM, Happy2Play said:

embyserver-63781638088.txthardware_detection-63781637666.txt

15 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Before you start making drastic changes would you like to do a remote support session and let us take a look and give you a hand with proper configuration?

If so hover over my avatar to get the message link.  Use it to send me a private message and we can arrange this.

Carlo

Thanks for your help, I was able to solve it. I logged into the root of the nas via winscp and was able to take it out in the Emby Data structure.
Now everything runs normally again, but the problem with the music remains of course. Currently I have no more music inside.

Happy2Play

You also need to adjust inotify if you haven't already.

The configured user limit (8192) on the number of inotify watches has been reached, or the operating system failed to allocate a required resource.

Fix for RTM not working caused by limited inotify instances/watches - Tutorials and Guides - Emby Community

On 3/3/2022 at 4:33 PM, cayars said:

What exactly did you change using winscp?

Change Volume Path

On 3/3/2022 at 6:08 PM, Happy2Play said:

You also need to adjust inotify if you haven't already.

The configured user limit (8192) on the number of inotify watches has been reached, or the operating system failed to allocate a required resource.

Fix for RTM not working caused by limited inotify instances/watches - Tutorials and Guides - Emby Community

Thx for sharing

What do you think it might be even better to set up the whole thing on a VM with Docker compose? And then just mount the data volume from the synlog with cfis share folder?

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, D1sk said:

Thx for sharing

What do you think it might be even better to set up the whole thing on a VM with Docker compose? And then just mount the data volume from the synlog with cfis share folder?

Sorry I honestly cannot say.  @FrostByte @cayarsmay have an answer for you.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:55 PM, D1sk said:

Change Volume Path

Thx for sharing

No way as that will just really complicate things as you'll be adding additional layers that need checking and adjustment.  Plus the version of docker that runs on Synology is a little hard to manage compared to typical Linux systems.

On Synology NAS you really want to keep things simple by running the Synology Packaged version of Emby.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay maybe i should try an other system

I am thinking about trying the whole thing on nividia shield. Because I'm interested if the problem really has to do with synlog.
How does shield vs synology emby compare in general?
 I saw that Shield supports VA API, which is very nice.
How can I bring all the data from synology emby to shield i.e. user and db etc? Is that possible or do I have to completely rebuild?

• 3 weeks later...

@D1sk I didn't want to discourage you from trying it but I'm wondering how this venture went?
Do you try switching Emby Server over to the Shield TV?
Did you ever try installing Emby from the package center on Synology instead of using Docker?
It's so much easier that way as docker gets in the way on Synology.