Jump to content

Add page jump points


SmileFlower
 Share

Recommended Posts

SmileFlower

Since there are too many items in a single media library, can you use the paging style of version 4.3.1.0 and add a page jump function

QQ截图20220227195801.png

C`}KT]UC9{H@BXC_Q6QTLX7.png

QQ截图20220227195801.png

Edited by SmileFlower
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SmileFlower

When the number of single media library items exceeds 1000, this function is very useful. I hope it can be adopted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GrimReaper

Considering how much Virtual scrolling (pageless) has been asked for, I highly doubt it'll go back to pagination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SmileFlower
4 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Considering how much Virtual scrolling (pageless) has been asked for, I highly doubt it'll go back to pagination.

In 4.3.1.0, only 100 items can be paged, but I don't think it's perfect. If this function can be returned in the current version after 4.7.0.26 and page Jump is added, it will be easier to use (for a single media library with thousands of items)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Considering how much Virtual scrolling (pageless) has been asked for, I highly doubt it'll go back to pagination.

Theoretically, we could have both.  The page could still scroll virtually but you could have some sort of jump points similar to what we do now with the letter jump.  So a way to do the same thing when sorted by something other than title.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SmileFlower
51 minutes ago, ebr said:

Theoretically, we could have both.  The page could still scroll virtually but you could have some sort of jump points similar to what we do now with the letter jump.  So a way to do the same thing when sorted by something other than title.

If you sort by subtitles, you can only have 26 characters for Chinese, which will be incomplete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SmileFlower
53 minutes ago, ebr said:

Theoretically, we could have both.  The page could still scroll virtually but you could have some sort of jump points similar to what we do now with the letter jump.  So a way to do the same thing when sorted by something other than title.

It can be paged or displayed in full, so that the coexistence of the two will be perfect

Link to comment
Share on other sites

visproduction

Commerical media providers online, solve this by creating different categories (libraries).  I think the reason they do that is to make it more user friendly.  The Emby genres sorting function inside each library works like this.  But, the user has to know about genres and has to click three times, The library, then 'Genres' in the top navigation and then one of the Genres to make a sort.

Netflix, Hulu, Prime and other make abitrary categories up front on the main navigation page.  The user can pick with scroll and one click to get to a smaller group of a particular type of media.  You can see Netflix categories here, without being a member. https://netflix-category-lookup.netlify.app/category/action-&-adventure
You need to be a member to view the results.

If you created so many libraries, then the genres sort would not be that useful because clicking a genre only searches within that one library.  Interestingly, if you search for genre name and click it, you search all libraries.  This also happens if you click on a genre name link on a media page.

Maybe a nice option would be to let the user decide which Nav heading the user goes to when they click on a library.  As admin, it would be nice to be able to set a default new user setup to maybe go first to Genres.  Both these functions are not yet available.  Then the user can have a nice experience to find media with two clicks: library name, genre type and then a scroll on a shorter list and third click to pick media.

This seems to me to be more powerful than clicking page 25 in a list of 2000 videos.  How would you know what you are getting on that page?  The user would probably need to click several more times to find anything.
 

Edited by visproduction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, visproduction said:

Maybe a nice option would be to let the user decide which Nav heading the user goes to when they click on a library

Hi.  Each user can already set a default landing page on each library.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BaiGanJia
11 hours ago, ebr said:

Theoretically, we could have both.  The page could still scroll virtually but you could have some sort of jump points similar to what we do now with the letter jump.  So a way to do the same thing when sorted by something other than title.

Chinese letter jump   very  very  very  very  very  very  very bad ,very very very very very very very useless

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SmileFlower
On 2/28/2022 at 4:27 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  Each user can already set a default landing page on each library.

Do you have any plans to join?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SmileFlower said:

Do you have any plans to join?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SmileFlower
11 hours ago, ebr said:

Sorry, I don't know what you mean...

It is to make a paging function in the media library to enable the number of media. You can set how many items can be paged. When the number of media is large, it is convenient for friends to find the TV or movie they want to watch through the poster wall

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, okay, you meant do we have plans to implement this request.

We will monitor it for feedback from other users.  We do not have immediate plans to implement it at this time.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SmileFlower
12 hours ago, ebr said:

Oh, okay, you meant do we have plans to implement this request.

We will monitor it for feedback from other users.  We do not have immediate plans to implement it at this time.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

jasonb1

Pagination isn't totally required in my opinion, but jumping is when you have a long list (I have one with 30000+ videos in it). In a title/name sort view, you can sort of jump quickly by picking a letter, but that is removed in non-sorted by name because it doesn't make sense of course. Instead, a single button could be added to all views that lets me specify which item to jump to in the list via number input. Seems like it would be trivial to add this.

 - Jason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2022 at 7:14 AM, SmileFlower said:

Since there are too many items in a single media library, can you use the paging style of version 4.3.1.0 and add a page jump function

QQ截图20220227195801.png

C`}KT]UC9{H@BXC_Q6QTLX7.png

 

The problem with this is you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to it. Does that actually save you time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jasonb1 said:

Pagination isn't totally required in my opinion, but jumping is when you have a long list (I have one with 30000+ videos in it). In a title/name sort view, you can sort of jump quickly by picking a letter, but that is removed in non-sorted by name because it doesn't make sense of course. Instead, a single button could be added to all views that lets me specify which item to jump to in the list via number input. Seems like it would be trivial to add this.

 - Jason

I've always thought it would be neat to use a-z picker and allow it to change contents for different sort orders.

So for example, if you sort by community rating, then instead of A-Z you might see 0-10 numbers. Or if you sort by date or year, then maybe we'd put decades there.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SmileFlower
1 hour ago, Luke said:

The problem with this is you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to it. Does that actually save you time?

In fact, I don't think it's necessary to delete this function. It can be kept and made into a switch for people who need it

 

Because if I sort by title, a ~ Z do not apply to languages other than 26 letters, such as Japanese, Korean and Chinese

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SmileFlower said:

a ~ Z do not apply to languages other than 26 letters, such as Japanese, Korean and Chinese

Well for now, but the idea is that this will be improved at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SmileFlower
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Well for now, but the idea is that this will be improved at some point.

If you want to improve this sorting function by A-Z, first take Chinese as an example. You need to distinguish it according to Chinese Pinyin, so that A-Z can work

QQ截图20220304134844.png

 

Edited by SmileFlower
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Luke said:

I've always thought it would be neat to use a-z picker and allow it to change contents for different sort orders.

I agree, that's the best solution.  In fact MB 2 did that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sydlexius
10 hours ago, Luke said:

I've always thought it would be neat to use a-z picker and allow it to change contents for different sort orders.

So for example, if you sort by community rating, then instead of A-Z you might see 0-10 numbers. Or if you sort by date or year, then maybe we'd put decades there.

I'd really like to see a dynamic jump list like this. Maybe other graphemes could be provided via a sorted list that can be used based upon the localized culture? 

Additionally, if you could add a floating "jump to the top" button, that would be handy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

visproduction
23 hours ago, sydlexius said:

I'd really like to see a dynamic jump list like this. Maybe other graphemes could be provided via a sorted list that can be used based upon the localized culture? 

Additionally, if you could add a floating "jump to the top" button, that would be handy. 

There are also these shortcut keys that are handy, especially the Home key:

page-up: scroll up in list

page-down: scroll down in list

end: scroll to end of list

home: return to app home screen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sydlexius
36 minutes ago, visproduction said:

There are also these shortcut keys that are handy, especially the Home key:

page-up: scroll up in list

page-down: scroll down in list

end: scroll to end of list

home: return to app home screen

I actually think the home key is a regression. When I press it to go to the top of the page (say, in the admin dashboard), it takes me to my home screen.  I'd rather the web client didn't trap for the home key, as most other web pages don't. 

Also, my suggestion on the floating jump to top button, that was for other clients. Emby's own forum has this, and it's handy here too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...