Folder Sync: Synced episodes appear in version list

MBSki

MBSki

I'm moving this from another thread. @Luke Can you please fix this? Episodes that are synced TO a different server should NOT appear as an option on the server that they were synced FROM. I've pasted screen shots of my configuration below. 

On 2/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, Luke said:

Most likely because you used the same folder sync locations as another server, or pointed folder sync to a library on another server.

Sorry @Luke, I don't understand. I only have 1 synced location and that's the other server. Regardless, it's on the OTHER server, and it's NOT part of my library. It shouldn't be available as a version if it isn't in the library. 

Here's my setup though. I don't see how this configuration would cause a file on another server to show up on main server. Can you explain?

Folder sync:

image.png.3185c232a44a806e69c16fb4b31bd677.png

Library on main server (Sync from location)

image.png.159005284f87b69e1f8b1b6f6d71eea5.png

Library on OTHER server (Sync to location)

image.png.b963d8ee79a507f55aa1cd436ed7be15.png

Regardless, it's on the OTHER server, and it's NOT part of my library. It shouldn't be available as a version if it isn't in the library. 

It is based purely on what is in the folders, not any record of what was synced before. This allows for easy uninstalls/reinstalls without having to do resyncs all over again.

MBSki
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

It is based purely on what is in the folders, not any record of what was synced before. This allows for easy uninstalls/reinstalls without having to do resyncs all over again.

Then it's a bug, because the synced files that are showing up are NOT in the folders.

Folder sync does not add library content. The only way that could happen is if you have an emby library pointing to it, or some parent of it. There is nothing to fix. I think you are just not understanding how this feature was designed.

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Folder sync does not add library content. The only way that could happen is if you have an emby library pointing to it, or some parent of it. There is nothing to fix. I think you are just not understanding how this feature was designed.

I don't have an Emby library pointing to it. 

I may not understand how it was designed, and frankly I'm not sure that matters. What matters is that it doesn't break something else. At the moment, the synced version is showing up in my version list and I can play that synced version even though it is on a different server and not in my library.

That seems broken to me and it seemed broken to ebr too. 

So, can you please look at the code with my specific use case in mind and then explain to me why that version is showing up AND playable?

At the moment, the synced version is showing up in my version list and I can play that synced version even though it is on a different server and not in my library.

That's intended behavior. Remove the folder from the folder sync plugin configuration if you don't want this.

MBSki
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's intended behavior. Remove the folder from the folder sync plugin configuration if you don't want this.

Remove the folder that references the other server? How exactly would I sync to that server if I don't have the folder to the other server specified? 

So intended behavior is, "show synced versions on other servers and allow play back even if the synced versions are not included in the library". Did I understand that correctly?

The point of the plugin is to create copies of video files in alternative qualities and have them show up in the versions list. And that is without having to add the synced folder to emby library setup, this way they only show up as alternative versions and nowhere else.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

The point of the plugin is to create copies of video files in alternative qualities and have them show up in the versions list. And that is without having to add the synced folder to emby library setup, this way they only show up as alternative versions and nowhere else.

This is getting confusing. I didn't add the synced folder to the Emby library setup. I added it to the folder sync configuration. 

Having the different versions show up makes sense IF those versions are in the library. If they aren't in the library though, they shouldn't show up. Even ebr agreed. You seem to be saying they should show up even if they aren't in the library, but then you tell me to remove the folder from the library if I don't want them to show up. Those are completely opposite ideas, so which is it? 

Bottom line IMO, if the folder with synced files is not in my library then those versions should NOT show up as an option to play. Do you agree?

They're not in the library, they're just alternative versions, right? If that's correct then that's what it was intended to do.

MBSki
27 minutes ago, Luke said:

They're not in the library, they're just alternative versions, right? If that's correct then that's what it was intended to do.

And you wanted users to be able to play back those versions even though they're on another server? That's silly IMO. If you want to see the versions, the should be in your library.

So do I need to submit a feature request to get this changed? 

@ebr You haven't implemented this as Luke described. Can I assume you also don't think a version should show if it isn't in the library?

I really don't know why the TV implementation would be any different than the others.  If the item has multiple versions at the server, it should also have them in the TV app.  I just think this is a fairly odd either usage or implementation.

MBSki
34 minutes ago, ebr said:

I really don't know why the TV implementation would be any different than the others.  If the item has multiple versions at the server, it should also have them in the TV app.  I just think this is a fairly odd either usage or implementation.

Agreed. I believe it's because the Android TV app is ONLY looking at the library on the server. For some reason, the standard app was designed to ALSO grab ANY version that was created with folder sync whether it's actually in the library on the server or not. Luke says it's supposed to do that. I say it shouldn't. It makes no sense to me why the app would show versions that don't actually exist on the server.

@Luke Is there some reason that you're against changing this design? At a bare minimum the apps should be consistent and with the current folder sync design, the 2 apps are not consistent.