Version Grouping and Collections

Matman18895

Matman18895

Hi All,

I have tried searching for a solution but have not had success.

If there has already been a thread for this please let me know.

Context:

I have both 4K and HD versions of both Movies and Shows, and these are kept in different folders, but in the same library. In other words, 4K movies and HD Movies are in the same library, and another library for 4K and HD TV Shows.

I've kept the 4K and HD content in different folders because I have two instances each of Radarr and Sonarr configured. For example one instance of Radarr for 4K content, and another for HD content. Another reason they are in separate folders is because of space, as 4K content are on its own drive.

Also I have put the 4K and HD content in the same library to allow version grouping. TV Shows are set up to do automatic version grouping. Movies I am still doing manually as I have not managed to get the plugin working yet.

Problem:

I have noticed that whether its a Movie or TV show when there are two versions grouped together and you add it to a collection, it only seems to add one of the versions to the collection. Therefore sometimes when you search for a movie and open it, it may show the version not added to the collection. 

I know its the different version as the covers are different on both.

Changing the version in the drop down does not change this.

I have taken a video to best show what I mean.

I can manually resolve this by splitting the versions and adding both to collections, then merging again. This is easy to do for Movies but is time consuming and easy to miss one. For TV shows you need to disable Automatic Show Merging, add to collections, then enable it again. This is also very time consuming.

Does anyone have any advice on a better way to do this? Is the problem the way I've set it up,  or is this perhaps something that could be addressed in a future version?

Happy2Play

Since Emby does not write to all versioned items, I am guess that version that does not shows Included in does not have the <set> node written to it.  Until Emby can write information for each version quirks like this will exist.

Current option is click the Split apart button near Media Info and ensure both versions are part of the the Collection and regroup then.  Or if you write nfo files with media ensure each version nfo has the <set> node.

Matman18895
15 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Since Emby does not write to all versioned items, I am guess that version that does not shows Included in does not have the <set> node written to it.  Until Emby can write information for each version quirks like this will exist.

Current option is click the Split apart button near Media Info and ensure both versions are part of the the Collection and regroup then.  Or if you write nfo files with media ensure each version nfo has the <set> node.

@Happy2Play 

Agreed, at the moment for my Movie content, I am splitting the versions, adding them to collections, then Merging again.

However it would be good to have a less manual way of doing this.