Emby Theater Remote Misbehaving

Gobaan

Today, after restarting Emby Theater for Windows, I noticed some peculiar behavior when using my remote. I observed the following:

• When playing a video, 'skip forward/backward' will work once, but misbehave when the remote button is pressed repeatedly. There is a response that resembles a skip, but the interval seems to be small or zero.
  • Outside of 'play mode' the remote seems to function correctly
  • Holding the skip button on the remote works as expected
  • If I wait for what seems like about 8 or 9 seconds, the skip action will work again. (I have not really dwelt on replicating and timing this aspect)
  • Multiple clicks on the GUI work as expected
  • When the 'multiple remote skips' situation is created, pressing the back/exit button does not exit the video. Only after pressing the back/exit button twice (or sometimes more than twice) will the video exit. If a video is started and there are no 'multiple remote skips' applied, pressing back/exit works as expected (the video exits).

I will add more details if I notice anything.

Same issue started today with emby theater, although I use a keyboard. Whenever I forward/rewind the on-screen display appears preventing any further forward/rewind until the display disappears (or unless I force it to disappear with Esc). Works fine viewing in a web browser.

Was working as intended last night.

I would note that one of my observations, "Holding the skip button on the remote works as expected" is not true. I was misled in that holding the skip button simply repeats the tiny forward/backward jumps continuously. This does produce a fast forward/backward effect, but at a much slower rate than when the buttons function properly.

16 minutes ago, Gobaan said:

There is still an issue here. When the remote or keyboard skip buttons are pushed rapidly (not held) the timeline does not move

Hi, yes I can reproduce that. Thanks, we'll take a look.

Gobaan

The problem described in my last post has been fixed. However, now the "live video" fast forward no longer works in both "held" and "multiple press" modes. The video only updates after the button has been released for a while

• 3 weeks later...
Gobaan

I've been a long-time user of Emby and I love it. I depend on it. I don't mean to be harsh, but this 'play controller widget' update (for lack of a better description) has been a terrible experience for me.

• Many of the bugs described above still occur intermittently, but also regularly. Skipping backwards is really annoying. Skipping in general is not entirely predictable
  • There is a pause after pressing the skip before the video actually updates to the new position. This pause was never noticeable before this update. The pause is also very annoying. Incidentally, the pause is so long that i can skip both backwards and forwards again without getting any visual feedback resulting in me having no idea where I am in the video.
  • The lost feature that I called "live video fast forward/backward" (above) is sorely missed. This is a fundamental feature of any video viewing tool.

17 hours ago, Gobaan said:

I've been a long-time user of Emby and I love it. I depend on it. I don't mean to be harsh, but this 'play controller widget' update (for lack of a better description) has been a terrible experience for me.

• Many of the bugs described above still occur intermittently, but also regularly. Skipping backwards is really annoying. Skipping in general is not entirely predictable
  • There is a pause after pressing the skip before the video actually updates to the new position. This pause was never noticeable before this update. The pause is also very annoying. Incidentally, the pause is so long that i can skip both backwards and forwards again without getting any visual feedback resulting in me having no idea where I am in the video.
  • The lost feature that I called "live video fast forward/backward" (above) is sorely missed. This is a fundamental feature of any video viewing tool.

hi @Gobaan can you please try restarting the app and let us know how it compares now? Thanks.

Gobaan

I tried a couple of different video formats to try to be thorough. My following observations are for "single skip" activities, by which I mean pressing the button once and waiting for at least a second. Multiple presses of the skip button within a very short amount of time and holding the skip button are not limited in the same way as single skips.

There are still spots in every stream where the skip backwards does not skip the proper amount, but instead skips very small amounts, seemingly getting "stuck" on some arbitrary point. When I skip, the stream seems to skip to an absolute position, not relative. Without proper debugging tools, I know this sounds a bit subjective, but I am currently convinced that it is skipping to a particular time rather than the offset time, and that time is always closer than the skip time offset. This doesn't happen all the time but it does happen enough to become annoying. A typical use case is when something is said and I don't quite catch it, so I skip backwards, expecting 5 seconds but only get 1 second. Then I try the same thing a couple of times and the video makes the same small skip. Then I do a "multiple click" and it moves past the sticking point, but now it's gone too far, and without the live video preview, it gets confusing. There is also a weird behavior at the end of some videos where skipping *forward* does not end the video, but instead creates a similar looping behavior where the skip action places the video position *backwards* to the same point, as long as you keep doing single presses. I've tried to determine if there is anything I can do on my end. I don't think I've installed anything lately (no codecs or anything like that).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So after 6 months of waiting for a fix, not only has no fix been made, but in a recent update, you've managed to make things worse. PC remote control functionality is so screwed up that a remote can't really be used in the video player interface

2 hours ago, Gobaan said:

So after 6 months of waiting for a fix, not only has no fix been made, but in a recent update, you've managed to make things worse. PC remote control functionality is so screwed up that a remote can't really be used in the video player interface

Hi, why can't a remote be used in the video player?

See numerous posts above attempting to explain the problem. The forward and back controls do not work properly. I'm not talking about the GUI buttons, I'm talking about the physical buttons on the remote that are mapped to skip forward and backward. They behave completely differently than the GUI buttons. And recently, the up/down buttons are not always in the correct state, causing the info pane to pop up without ever showing the controls GUI. If you've got a remote and you try to use the player without using the GUI, it's terribly obvious

mitch2471

I have the same issues as gobaan.  I think they only started in the past week. Rewind & forward not working as described by gobaan. Also the down button on a remote causes the info pane to pop up rather than the gui.

this has started for me too. i used to skip intros by going fwd in 30 sec intervals now the timeline opens up and it seems to skip to wherever it wants on the second button press.

After testing the interface for a few days, the worst behaviors appear to be corrected. There is still a bit of a hiccup that occurs arbitrarily, but often, when using a remote to skip backwards. With the skip backward time set to 5 seconds, the progress bar skips less than 5 seconds and then continues playing as normal. Skipping back again results in the same behavior and appears to skip back to the exact same shortfall point. By pressing the skip back button multiple consecutive times, the progress bar goes past the "sticking" point, but this takes the progress bar bar farther than desirable. Minor but annoying.

Another issue with skipping forward/backward is the rate of continuous skipping when the remote button is held. For TV episodes it is acceptable, but for movies,, it just takes too long. This would seem to be a different setting from the 5/20 second skip times, as it applies to repeating the skip. Previous incarnations of the player were not so slow.

• Thanks 1