DSM 7.1 beta compatibility

Cadkey

Tremas

For size, I would go with Cayars' recommendation of 1TB. I'm running 512mb, because I had one available and have no issues. But if I was starting fresh there is little reason not to go 1TB. As for what gen, that is probably limited by your Synology model. There's plenty of information in the thread from Cayars' testing, but it's not worth paying for newer tech if your box can't take advantage of it. I've also seen no need for a heatsink in my box, but I'm the primary user out of 4 and I'm hardly taxing the read/writes.

• Like 1

If I were doing this again right now I'd purchase 1 TB NVMe that's fast.  Doesn't have to be a speed deamon or top of line but keep the write speed over 2 Gb.
I would use that drive for everything except Transcoding, with one possible exception I'd test.

I would take the money spent for the 1st stick and spend it this way. Purchase a 16GB Memory Stick and upgrade your memory. If you have an 8Gb stick already call it good.  If you have a 4Gb stick installed for a total of 8 pull it and replace with 16Gb stick.

Now search Amazon for the cheapest 256MB-500MB NVMe drive. Yep I said that.  You want a drive to pound and not care if you kill  it.  Including shipping purchase the cheapest NVMe that writes at 2Gb+ and 1/4 to 1/2 GB in size.  Use this as a separate pool all it's own and put Emby's Transcode files here, same as the first, we need a test.

Record 2 or 3 shows.  Now start playing1 of them.  Does it work? If not, do the test again with 2 recordings, while playing back 1.  Does it work? For it to transcode.
How fast does it transcode?

Now round two of test.  Change the DVR path. It was on the bigger drive but move it to the small beater drive.  Do the same test as before.  It probably worked a little better one of these way.  Change it if needed to the faster DVR recording path.

• Like 1

Tremas

@cayars, not sure I follow you here. Have you tried adding the 16Gb stick of RAM, or are you suggesting someone test that? I have a DS1520+, and I've read that it can be done but with the disclaimer that the Intel Celeron J series is only specified/tested up to 8GB. Conflicting information if the system will actually utilize the RAM above 8GB. Have you seen that  it actually works (outside of the NVMe testing)?

I've had 4 & 16 in mine using it for VMs so I know it uses it on a 920+

I've read in forums other results as well.  I think it's less a problem on the + and newer models as they see to use 4 & 16s.

I had to reset the box so I first moved all the VMs and docker to another machine, pulled the 16 and put a 4 back in it then put the 16 in another laptop.
I've also taken both NVMe out of it.  So it's stock + 4GB memory right now for testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

iJoMun
On 5/24/2022 at 4:13 PM, Tremas said:

For size, I would go with Cayars' recommendation of 1TB. I'm running 512mb, because I had one available and have no issues. But if I was starting fresh there is little reason not to go 1TB. As for what gen, that is probably limited by your Synology model. There's plenty of information in the thread from Cayars' testing, but it's not worth paying for newer tech if your box can't take advantage of it. I've also seen no need for a heatsink in my box, but I'm the primary user out of 4 and I'm hardly taxing the read/writes.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:41 AM, cayars said:

If I were doing this again right now I'd purchase 1 TB NVMe that's fast.  Doesn't have to be a speed deamon or top of line but keep the write speed over 2 Gb.
I would use that drive for everything except Transcoding, with one possible exception I'd test.

I would take the money spent for the 1st stick and spend it this way. Purchase a 16GB Memory Stick and upgrade your memory. If you have an 8Gb stick already call it good.  If you have a 4Gb stick installed for a total of 8 pull it and replace with 16Gb stick.

Now search Amazon for the cheapest 256MB-500MB NVMe drive. Yep I said that.  You want a drive to pound and not care if you kill  it.  Including shipping purchase the cheapest NVMe that writes at 2Gb+ and 1/4 to 1/2 GB in size.  Use this as a separate pool all it's own and put Emby's Transcode files here, same as the first, we need a test.

Record 2 or 3 shows.  Now start playing1 of them.  Does it work? If not, do the test again with 2 recordings, while playing back 1.  Does it work? For it to transcode.
How fast does it transcode?

Now round two of test.  Change the DVR path. It was on the bigger drive but move it to the small beater drive.  Do the same test as before.  It probably worked a little better one of these way.  Change it if needed to the faster DVR recording path.

Thank you @cayars  and @Tremas. The unit (DS1621+) came with a 4GB stick, so upgrading to 16GB will be a real shot in the arm. Also, it looks like my NAS is PCIe 3.0 so that helps with the price of a NVMe :) I'm thinking of the following items (with some help from Synoforum and NAS Compares). They should be compatible and certainly much less expensive than buying Synology-branded accessories. What brand RAM/NVMe are you guys using? Just curious. 

RAM:

https://www.newegg.com/Crucial-16GB-260-Pin-DDR4-SO-DIMM/p/0RN-0005-000Z4?cm_sp=SH-_-942031-_-8-_-2-_-9SIAKD3B5T0930-_-16GB+DDR4+sodimm-_-ddr4|sodimm-_-1&Item=9SIAKD3B5T0930 -OR-

https://www.newegg.com/micron-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/1X5-003U-000G5?Description=MTA18ASF2G72HZ&cm_re=MTA18ASF2G72HZ-_-1X5-003U-000G5-_-Product&quicklink=true

NVMe:

https://www.amazon.com/addlink-Gen3x4-3000MB-Internal-Solid/dp/B07K7LRB2T?th=1

Edited by iJoMun

Tremas

I bought 2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus (512mb) in a flash sale on Amazon expecting to use them as standard disk cache for my Synology before I started following Cayars' testing threads. I'm currently using one of them as a dedicated drive for Emby. The other one I'm still deciding if I will make it standard Synology cache or a dedicated Emby transcoding drive. So far it is working with no issues.

My DS1520+ came with 8GB of RAM (4 soldered + 4 removable), and I haven't tried to upgrade that yet.

• Like 1

iJoMun
15 hours ago, cayars said:

Oh, that's good. Thank you. I just realized the Crucial stick is non-ECC, so that wouldn't have worked anyway. The Micron is ECC but twice as expensive, as you pointed out. 

• 8 months later...

Hello I am searching for an linux command in the NAS TaskManager to delete the File "space-preserve" in the system Partition. I wont to delete by taske every day to get enough space for other programms.

Hello I am searching for an linux command in the NAS TaskManager to delete the File "space-preserve" in the system Partition. I wont to delete by taske every day to get enough space for other programms.

I have solved the Problem with not enough space.

Put following code in the taskmanager from Synology and select user "root". Select daily on 0:00

sudo rm -r /usr/syno/synoinstall/space-preserve

Now you have 500 MB more Space 

• Thanks 1