Server Config Backup - Restoring on new server

tman

I'm planning to move my entire Emby setup to a new Windows host server (currently running on old Windows host server). I have my Emby premiere key ready!

I use the Server Config Backup plugin to create daily backups, and once I've re-installed Emby on the new server, I want to restore the exsiting config. As this will initially be a new server setup though, I need to know the process to restore the config. I assume I install the SCB plugin again on the fresh install, then would I just point it to the original backup location and it should find existing backups to restore from, or is there anything else I need to do? I really hope this is going to be an easy restore process, but I thought I'd check first.

Thanks

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, tman said:

I assume I install the SCB plugin again on the fresh install, then would I just point it to the original backup location and it should find existing backups to restore from

Yep.

3 minutes ago, tman said:

or is there anything else I need to do?

Have a read here:

Emby Backup : Emby

Note that Server Configuration Backup Plugin will not backup your metadata/artwork/content, only library definitions.

Excellent. Sounds like it should hopefully be straightforward then. That link is really useful too.

I keep all my metadata in the movie folders as suggested (I learnt the hard way after a previous problem), so that should just all re-populate after the restore.

ttgapers
On 2/19/2022 at 11:41 AM, tman said:

Excellent. Sounds like it should hopefully be straightforward then. That link is really useful too.

I keep all my metadata in the movie folders as suggested (I learnt the hard way after a previous problem), so that should just all re-populate after the restore.

Might want to have a look at the section in the link above labeled "How to Backup Manually". It gives a good step by step for exactly what you are want to do (move to new server). It's a bit cleaner than SCB route. I use SCB primarily for Backup/Restore. I used manual methods for server migrations.

• 1 year later...
bcm00re
On 2/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, ttgapers said:

Might want to have a look at the section in the link above labeled "How to Backup Manually". It gives a good step by step for exactly what you are want to do (move to new server). It's a bit cleaner than SCB route. I use SCB primarily for Backup/Restore. I used manual methods for server migrations.

Before find this thread I had already used SCB for my server migration, but it didn't copy any of my series recordings -- should it have?

ttgapers
8 minutes ago, bcm00re said:

but it didn't copy any of my series recordings -- should it have

Nope, just checked the link again and it notes: "The plug-in also does not backup live TV recording settings or series at this time."

bcm00re
7 minutes ago, ttgapers said:

Nope, just checked the link again and it notes: "The plug-in also does not backup live TV recording settings or series at this time."

Totally missed that -- thanks!  Does the manual method get that?

10 minutes ago, bcm00re said:

Totally missed that -- thanks!  Does the manual method get that?

Yes it does.

• 3 months later...
Geeked

Sorry for bumping this but does the Backup & Restore plugin replace the Server Configuration Backup Plugin because I cannot find any plugin called "Server Configuration Backup Plugin". I am a premier user and have been for a few years now. I'm using version 4.8.1.0.

If yes, how can it be used to "restore" a backup. All I see is a place to enter a backup folder.

image.png.6ef304bc1d3339fe9f5a160875870413.png

Edited by Geeked

9 hours ago, Geeked said:

Sorry for bumping this but does the Backup & Restore plugin replace the Server Configuration Backup Plugin because I cannot find any plugin called "Server Configuration Backup Plugin". I am a premier user and have been for a few years now. I'm using version 4.8.1.0.

If yes, how can it be used to "restore" a backup. All I see is a place to enter a backup folder.

image.png.6ef304bc1d3339fe9f5a160875870413.png

HI, yes it does. The new name of the plugin is Backup & Restore. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Geeked

Ok. How do we do a restore now? Am I missing something or do I just have to do that part manually? Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Geeked said:

Ok. How do we do a restore now? Am I missing something or do I just have to do that part manually? Thanks!

Nothing new in that regard. Please take a look at our guide and let us know if it helps:

Configuration Backup

Geeked

So I figured out there has to be a backup in the backup folder for the restore button to show up. Might want to add that to the guide just to clarify. Thank you!

image.png.595dd15172f8df44d9a5941b84d8496a.png

• Thanks 1