LG TV app for newest WEBOS have issues with 4K videos.

requa3r0
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

requa3r0

Hi

I have a brand new LG OLED TV

LG 55" 4K OLED TV OLED55B16LA running latest WEBOS and Latest EMBY app

I am having problems playing  4K video content

I'm streaming from the IPTV provider. https://rapidtvswiss.com/

If I use the EMBY DLNA  on the TV the video is just fine - Buts I cant set subs and its a horrid interface.

If I run EMBY off a webpage on the TV, its also fine.

If I copy the video to a USB device, and play on the LG TV app for local content its fine.

If I run the video in VLC, KODI etc on a PC/MAC, its also fine, and the content provider says the file is fine.

But on the EMBY TV app its pixelated and impossible to watch.

Se provided screens shots and a 20 sec sample (EDIT: It does not scan to library...so here is a 100s sample that will scan https://we.tl/t-oN4vbGbahh )

I can provide a M3U link and a filder with strm files to the 4K content , but it will only last for 24h.

So Let me know in the comments if anyone would like a sample to access to all the 4K content for test.

Its not all 4K movies, that gives an issue  but most. The very high bitrate ones i guess.

IMG_20220207_203413.jpg

IMG_20220207_203425.jpg

the-predator-sample-20s.mkv

Edited by requa3r0
issue with file

requa3r0

As a second issue.

I am having huge issues, getting the sample into the video library to test.

No matter what I do, it cant get it into the lib on the Emby server?

I have even made a test folder with Mixed content, just for this one file, and asked Emby to rescan the content, but nothing happens?

It scans for a few sec, and no content is displayed.

I have had this issue may times before, where adding a new file the the media folder.

It just does not what to scan the content, and it sometimes takes emby server resets, hardware reboot etc. before a file is finally scanned to the lib.

Its chowned to user/group and chmod 777, so permissions are fine --- The server just does not find it?

I made a 120s sample and after some time, it found the sample and it was the same display issue, but the 20s sample i have provided is untested at this time.

Its not possible for me to add it the lib ??? ;O/

Edit: I have tried with 10 and 20 and 60 sec samples..and none can be scanned to the lib.

But If I make a 100sec sample, then its 3-400MB and it scans just fine. But this can not be attached here due the size.

So here is a we transfer link

https://we.tl/t-oN4vbGbahh

Can someone explain this ?

Edited by requa3r0

HI, I think the TV just can't handle that high of a bitrate over a network connection. I would suggest lowering the in-app quality setting and having the server transcode it down to something lower, assuming your server performs well enough to do that.

requa3r0

Hi Luke..Prompt as ever ;O)

Thanks for the quick response.

Well...the TV does handle the bitrate just fine ..

Either on USB HD or in a TV app browser running Emby web app...so...I think its an issue with the EMBY TV app player!

Its true..if i let it transcode when running emby on my phone it runs like butter...but transcoding down...High bit rate VOD data ...that is not really the point whit a brand new 4K TV..is it ;O)

The content is also available as 1080P 5-10M/MBits so l could always choose that instead..but since its available as 4K...I think I should be able to play it rightl

I have a gigabit internet connection - flat rate -  and a brand new telly that runs the content just fine offline.

If the TV can run the content offline, so should the EMBY app right ;O)

It seems to do be an issue with the EMBY player alone, and not the TV.

Can you investigate it a bit with the 100s sample I have provided.

NB: And..since we are talking about VOD - ;O)

Could you comment on my topic on git-hub -- IPTV and VOD is really the next ting....I believe Emby is just the right thing for it.

But it needs a bit of help to make et easy for everybody ;o)

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/3718

Edited by requa3r0

The issue with the tv is high bitrate over the network, so that makes the USB test irrelevant unfortunately.

If it's playing better with the web app on the TV then let's look at log file examples of both so that we can compare and see the differences. Thanks.

• Solution

The issue with the pixelation is a common one and is caused when the existing HEVC video stream is broken up to serve the file via DirectSteam. Reducing the bitrate will force it to transcode the stream which should fix the problem, but it isn’t your next option 

Playing the TrueHD track is your problem as it’s not supported in apps on your TV, resulting in the DirectStream approach. There  are a lot of threads on this forum about the issue, including why it appears to work via USB

I suspect the file has an AC3 audio track. Try selecting it before playback and see if it fixes the issue. 

• Like 1

requa3r0

Thanks SamES for giving this information.

Forcing AC3 actually works on the EMBY TV APP - And I can paly direct play ;O)

FORCED_AC3_WORKS_IMG_20220220_120835.thumb.jpg.0a6c99f4fcb8281e43c906e1c050e98d.jpg

When Forcing transcode it also works on the EMBY TV APP

EMBY-TV-APP-FORCED-TRANSCODING_IMG_20220220_114443.thumb.jpg.434850b6f7adb4f4f906ca1dbb47e7d8.jpg

I Dont know if there is a perment fix to be done

But Luke requested the log fils

I have made 3:

1: one playing from the webapp transcoding

WHen playin in the TV browser webapp, it transcode quite hard, but i can not se the detials.

I observed that the loading circle was spinning endlessly while playpack. I did not have any menus. I could not stop the movie, but had to X out the web browser.

2: one playing TV app forced transcoding

3: and one giving the pixelated feed.

NB:

Playing with the AC3 audio track did not produce a log ?

I hope it may help improve the TV APP 4K playback ;O)

EMBY-TV-APP-FORCED-TRANSCODING-ALL-GOOD-LOG_ffmpeg-transcode-b1076f1b-2be6-4d18-9d33-a7eaa7efefc3_1.txt Playing-from_Browser-on-LGTV-EMBY-webapp_LOG_ffmpeg-transcode-e7687a35-d5cd-4194-840e-96873c94f584_1.txt EMBY-TV-APP-DIRECT-STREAM-HEAVY-PIXELATED-LOG_ffmpeg-remux-76b6e286-1f95-4747-ad10-6d2ef5a53098_1.txt

requa3r0
10 hours ago, SamES said:

I suspect the file has an AC3 audio track. Try selecting it before playback and see if it fixes the issue. 

@SamES

Can you explain why this works?

We have not changed the video feed, and its still direct stream, so why does selecting a different audio track fix the pixelation ?

Would it be possible to make some kind of fix for the EMBY server, where you are simulating a transcode, without actually transcoding the video, but just sort of cashing the stream, to somehow repair the video stream.

Or is this in fact what is happening server side, when selecting the AC3 audio.

Just an a thought.

Thanks for you answer.

It fixed my issue. 

Much appreciated

;O)

Edited by requa3r0
typhos

In general....

When all the streams selected for  playback (video, audio and subs) are supported by the TV (including codec, bitrate and a few other specifications) the file is sent directly to the TV without any modification for playback.  This is the DirectPlay method.

When the video is supported, but the audio is not, then only the audio stream is converted to a compatible format.  However, to deliver the file to the TV the video and audio streams are broken up into segments and the TV requests each segment based on the segment list file.  This eliminates the need to convert the whole file before playback can begin.    This is the DirectStream method.

When the video is not supported, the video (and if necessary the audio streams) are both converted.  This also includes when the bitrate is higher than requested, in which case the video is converted to a lower bitrate.  Again, it is broken up and sent in segments to the TV.  This is the Transcode playback method.

Now, your main problem is that TrueHD is not supported by the TV, so DirectStream becomes the playback method.  The problem is that splitting the 4K/HEVC stream into segments can cause issues, particularly for high bitrate files.  This is the problem you are observing with the pixelation and breakup.  

When you drop the video bitrate this causes Transcoding, which has the added benefit of converting the video to another format, usually H.264 which does not have this same problem when breaking into segments. However, there can be a lot of server overhead to transcode, and there may be a reduction in video quality

Alternatively, when you select the AC3 track for playback, you now have a combination of tracks that is fully supported by the TV and you get DirectPlay.  

As a side note, there is no benefit in trying to play the TrueHD track.  It's not supported by the TV and will be converted by the server to AC3 anyway, so you might as well just select the existing AC3 track.  

usnscpo

Offered for consideration:  Sorry if this was mentioned.  Are you using wi-fi or Ethernet?  The Ethernet ports on practically all TVs are limited to 100Mbs, where wi-fi can do 300-400Mbs with newish wi-fi routers.  You could be bumping into the limits of the Ethernet port?  I solved one of my issues by using a Cable Matters Ethernet to USB dongle on my year old Sony.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, usnscpo said:

Offered for consideration:  Sorry if this was mentioned.  Are you using wi-fi or Ethernet?  The Ethernet ports on practically all TVs are limited to 100Mbs, where wi-fi can do 300-400Mbs with newish wi-fi routers.  You could be bumping into the limits of the Ethernet port?  I solved one of my issues by using a Cable Matters Ethernet to USB dongle on my year old Sony.

That will definitely help some playback issues with high bitrate files.  The issue that the op is seeing is different in my experience, but the limitations of the lan port are worth keeping in mind as well.  Thanks.

• Thanks 2

requa3r0
On 21/02/2022 at 11:36, SamES said:

Alternatively, when you select the AC3 track for playback, you now have a combination of tracks that is fully supported by the TV and you get DirectPlay.  

As a side note, there is no benefit in trying to play the TrueHD track.  It's not supported by the TV and will be converted by the server to AC3 anyway, so you might as well just select the existing AC3 track.  

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

So..to conclude on the matter...would it not be better if the EMBY TV app automatically selected the AC3 audio track and saved everyone from a lot of hassle in the first place

What is making it select the TRUEHD track anyway?..Is it just the first available track, the "best" track..or what?

If its already well known that it will transcode to AC3 anyway..Making a smart choice of audio track would make it better for everyone I believe.

Thanks ...ill select AC3 manually for now ;O)

NB: The telly is connected to a 1000/60 mbits line via LAN..I'm not going to mess around with wify for streaming.

Not a chance ;O)

Edited by requa3r0

The first track (or alternatively if there is a track marked as default) is assumed to be the audio track for the video.  Any other additional tracks could be directors commentaries, other languages, etc so selecting the first AC3 track may not be the right option.

With regards to the LAN port,  you need to consider the maximum speed of the port on the TV, not just the network it is connected to.  Most LG TV's only have 100 Mbit ports, although recent models might now finally have 1000 Mbit ports

Q. If your TV has an eARC HDMI port, cant you use an external AMP or Sound bar yo output TrueHD audio tracks? Would this not resolve the issue? I discovered the exact same problem the OP had, and also discovered that it was the fact my LG doesn't natively output TrueHD audio.                                                                 

2 hours ago, Damouav said:

Q. If your TV has an eARC HDMI port, cant you use an external AMP or Sound bar yo output TrueHD audio tracks? Would this not resolve the issue? I discovered the exact same problem the OP had, and also discovered that it was the fact my LG doesn't natively output TrueHD audio.                                                                 

Check this article.  The short answer is no, as Apps don't appear to have the ability to pass HD audio via eArc

Why does the Emby App for my LG TV not play the Dolby Atmos TrueHD Audio without Transcoding? : Emby

requa3r0

As reply to all

I have a brand new LG , sadly only with a 100MB network card.

But...since the high-bit 4k Movies are only max 50MB/s I'm still only half way maxed out. So bandwidth should not be an issue.

I also have  the LG soundbar that I believe is TRUEHD compatible, but as mentions the pass-through on the LG is sadly full of bugs or strangely configured.

1: The LG EMBY app does not seem to pass-through the audio, although I have specifically set the TV to PASS-THROUGH ;o/

2: The pass-through does not work properly. in any case.

If I connect a Mac mini to any of the TV HDMI ports, The TV only accepts stereo, and does not pass-through the Hi-def audio to the soundbar. No surround pass-through!

If connected whit a laptop running windows, I  can see on the nvidia card properties, that only 2.0 is available.

I have 5.1 connected when to on the soundbar? No surround pass-through on the TV HDMI ports..only the soundbar HDMI port!

Only solution is to connect the  Mini directly to the soundbar, and then select the soundbar HDMI for the video feed..but since it default set to eArc, I then have to manually select HDMI on the soundbar remote, a few times even because it just default back to eArc, and this is driving me quite crazy.

But i get full HD audio and surround sound, so I'm sort of ok. Although its a pain in the a** to sit at toggle with 2 remote for no reason..beside LG being stupid.

There is not vidoe feed on the soundbar..so why is there a need to toggle the sondbar from eArc to HDMI..it shold to this automatically when the soundbar is selected as source.. Seriously ;o/

LG ...please pull you-self together ;O)

Edited by requa3r0