HEVC on LG lagging

jlj1950
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I installed and tried Emby on my laptop a couple of days ago. Lots of problems. Installed the LG EMby app and most went away.

Microsoft has Emby in their app store but I haven't tried that yet.

However, while the 4K HEVC movies will play now, they usually stop occasionally and then start back up.

I'm guessing the transcoding is draging. Is ther anything I can do to speed things up?

I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 (Intel Core Duo processor, 2ghz, circa 2008) as a server, with a hub and seven drives connected.

Edited by jlj1950

Happy2Play

Please provide server and ffmpeg log for specific example if it exists.

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Please provide server and ffmpeg log for specific example if it exists.

The video example is Cruella.

filename:

Cruella (2021).2160p.DSNP.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.HDR.HEVC.mkv
MediInfo:

===================== General =====================
Unique ID                   : 220177450529104484224624005004094621689 (0xA5A4A26EF034983794A8685D6D2047F9)
Complete name               : L:\4K\Cruella (2021).2160p.DSNP.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.HDR.HEVC.mkv
Format                      : Matroska
Formatversion               : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                   : 16.1 GB
Duration (ms)               : 2h 13mn
Overall bit rate            : 17.2 Mbps
Encoded date                : UTC 2021-05-28 07:18:36
Writing application         : mkvmerge v45.0.0 ('Heaven in Pennies') 64-bit
Writing library             : libebml v1.3.10 + libmatroska v1.5.2

===================== Video =====================
Id                          : 1
Format                      : HEVC
Format info                 : High Efficiency Video Coding
Formatprofile               : Main 10@L5@High
Codec Id                    : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration (ms)               : 2h 13mn
Bit rate                    : 16.4 Mbps
Width                       : 3 840 pixels
Height                      : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.082
Stream size                 : 15.3 GB (96%)
Default                     : Yes
Forced                      : No
Color range                 : Limited
Color primaries             : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics    : SMPTE ST 2084
Matrix coefficients         : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color pri : R: x=0.680000 y=0.320000, G: x=0.265000 y=0.690000, B: x=0.150000 y=0.060000, White point: x=0.312700 y=0.329000
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000.0000 cd/m2

Stats For Nerds.jpg

ffmpeg-transcode-9c2c055a-c04b-46e5-8742-f6267afedc0e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e87945c8-fb5f-4842-9124-e1c1515ef0cd_1.txt embyserver-63780828749.txt

Edited by jlj1950

Those log files don't seem to match the screenshot.  They aren't files with HEVC tracks.

If it is DirectPlaying (which it appears to be) then there won't be an ffmpeg log.

Is it a wifi or LAN connection to the TV?

5 hours ago, SamES said:

Those log files don't seem to match the screenshot.  They aren't files with HEVC tracks.

If it is DirectPlaying (which it appears to be) then there won't be an ffmpeg log.

Is it a wifi or LAN connection to the TV?

I'm using wifi now. I've wondered if using LAN would improve performance.

I examined the logs and could find a 'Cruella' reference, only in the server log.

The drive activity indicator light blips every 1-4 seconds, but will then remain active for several seconds, I think this may correspond with the screen freeze.

The thought just occurred to me that 'lag' may have been premature. I assumed the temporary screen freezes were due to a data transfer lag.

I'm going to use Windows' Task monitor to see if any processes become active during the freezes.

I'm using wifi, but the problem also occurs on LAN.

Some interesting results from running Windows Task Manager occurred. In the first third of the movie,
ffmpeg does run intermittantly. The process appears at low, goes to moderate and frequently to high, and occasionally very high power use, and 67% Disk and Memory use. 
The ffprobe app shows up intermittantly as a blip.
From then on, only ffprobe shows up. 
During a halt, the ffmpeg causes the drive activity light to go from bliping to a constant on, for several seconds. 
The screen freezes for as much as twenty seconds, then picks up where the movie left off.
This can be caused by Windows Antimalware, but I monitor that setting and keep turning Real Time Protection off.

Also, I presumed screen frezes were indicative of a lag in data transfer, hence the 'lag' reference in the title.

Edited by jlj1950

I may have solved this problem, but only time will tell.

Microsoft's Windows Antimalware service has caused problems, constantly, on the 2008 Thinkpad T61. While using the computer, especially on Emby, I keep the security setings panel open to watch for Windows to turn the RealTime monitoring back on. Another Windows  nasty habit.

Even after I turn the service off, the Task Manager shows the service is still resident in memory and running on a resource low level.  Seems Windows doesn't take no for an answer.

Anyway, currently, Windows has turned the service back on. However, the drive is not constantly active, as before. So far, I've had only one instance of screen freeze, and that, early in the viewing session.

I suspect that the service has come to recognize Emby is not a threat and that previously, even though the service was 'off', the service was still active, at least periodically.

I think one should choose between laptop or TV operation of Emby. Switching back and forth may expose issues or otherwise complicate operation. An update to Windows may have been responsible, but I have the updates on  pause for a week, so that is not probable

Again, time will tell, but I am no longer having problems with 4K HEVC videos freezing. I will post later to post whether there are still freezes.

It is possible that my continous monitoring and shutting off of the service has alerted the operating system to the problem of the service continually thrashing my drive no matter what was running. A possibility.

Stats for Nerds:

OPSYS: Windows 10 Pro x64 / COMPUTER: Lenovo Thinkpad T61 x64, 2ghz, 2gb RAM with Docking Station / ROUTER: TP-Link , wifi 5ghz band and/or ethernet LAN, model:AD7200 / SOFTWARE: Emby downloadable zip package installed as well as LG Store Emby app. / EXTERNAL DRIVES and hub: Amazon Basics 7-port hub w/ (5) 1tb external drives,  (laptop 2.5")

Edited by jlj1950
Spelling/grammar/composition

There have been no unexpected halts after a viewing session lasting several hours.

I consider the issue resolved and am closing.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update. 

As you only installed the server recently, I wonder if library scans, metadata and image processing and downloading was still occurring in the background?

Where are all the media files stored? Are they in the internal drive, the external USB drive or on another machine/file share on the network?

The halts have resumed. 

The task manager shows no significant activity, although Emby server frequenty runs to 'Moderate', sometimes 'High' and on rare occasions 'Very High' in power usage. The Memory and CPU sttats remain low.

This leaves me with no apparent way to trace the problem. I include the most recent logs for the Game of Thrones season eight episode. All image related problems were resolved with time. I don't know why the halts have resumed.

My system is as follows:

Lenovo Thinkpad T61, 2gb RAM, 2gHz, with docking station.

Emby downloaded zip file installation. Installed 2/18/2022

Amazon Basics 7-port USB Hub.

Seven 1TB 2.5" hard drives.

TP-LINK AD7200 gigabit router, 5GHz band.

Spectrum 100Mbs internet connection.

LG oled55c8pua 4K Television. (1018)

Pioneer AVR with HDMI (ARC). (2014)

All drives' directories follow the same format, except for 'Series,serials and Artists':

----------------------------------------------

___(drive name)___

1900s-1920s

1930s-1940s

19950s-1960s

50s

60s

1970s-1980s

1990s

2000s

2000-2009

2020-2019

2020-2029

Series,serials and Artists

--------------------------------------

hardware_detection-63780975172.txt embyserver-63780975126.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-72a2da16-0d19-4bd3-970c-77333c55fab4_1.txt

Edited by jlj1950
Update

Check on the Emby server, are any Scheduled task running (or recently completed)?

image.png.cc9a6c8278632f49af7fad82881598f5.png

On 20/02/2022 at 15:34, SamES said:

Where are all the media files stored? Are they in the internal drive, the external USB drive or on another machine/file share on the network?

• Solution

As a test, can you remove the dlna and port mapper plugins, then restart the server and see how that compares? Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Luke said:

As a test, can you remove the dlna and port mapper plugins, then restart the server and see how that compares? Thanks.

I'd forgotten them. Seems to be working fully now. Thank you.

• Thanks 1