LG 1.0.33 Broken DirectStream, enforces transcode

gacopl

LG WEBOS TV Emby app, now instead of DirectStream and on the fly transcode only DTS or TRUEHD to AC3, it forces to transcode whole file also video. I have 2 LG OLEDs and the one i did not update with 1.0.32 works fine ie does DirectStream on files with TrueHD Audio.

1.0.33 in my case on the same file triggers full transocode on Dolby Vision mp4, resulting in full transcode with tonemap i cannot downgrade to 1.0.32 :( :( :(

Now it is only DirectPlay or Transcode no DirectStream on 4.0.7.19 beta

@Luke considering how long it takes to publish new versions in webos, can you engage Dev team to fix this ASAP?

Thanks

Hi gacopl, hi Luke,

I tested this with my 3 LG TVs (OLED65C7D, 55UJ6309 & 43UK6300LLB) all running with the new Emby App Version 1.0.33... with strange results.
I tested with a 4K HDR UHD Remux (mkv) with TRUEHD Audio (no Subs activated).

On my OLED everything looks like before (video direkt stream and audio encoding from TrueHD to AC3) -> see attachement (OLED.jpg)
On the two other TVs the "Nerd Info" shows that the video is transcoding -> see attachement (NON-OLED.jpg)
BUT indeed the Emby Server isn't encoding any of the 3... it only shows transcoding on 2 of the TVs in the "Nerd Info" Screen but isn't really encoding.

All three TVs are showing a non transcoded video (HDR) only the Infos are different.

Maybe it's just a display prob?

NON_OLED.jpg

OLED.jpg

emby_logs.zip

Edited by nanuk

Hi, there is no video transcoding occurring in any of these examples. It is stream copying the original video and only converting the audio.

44 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, there is no video transcoding occurring in any of these examples. It is stream copying the original video and only converting the audio.

That's exactly what I told!
"All three TVs are showing a non transcoded video (HDR) only the Infos are different."

Only the Information shown in the OSD shows "transcode" although the video isn't being really transcoded.

Maybe the stats feature is saying the wrong thing. We'll look into that, but I don't see any video transcoding in the examples you provided.

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Maybe the stats feature is saying the wrong thing. We'll look into that, but I don't see any video transcoding in the examples you provided.

Yes that's correct! I've never told anything else 😉

• Thanks 1

I can tell its transcoding as the tonemapping kicks in. The file i have is ST-DL DV/HDR10 mkv. Normally it plays in HDR with AC3, when i select TRUEHD, it goes from directplay to transcode. I immediately see tonemapping is kicking in as resolutions changes to fullhd only and see usage on my server so it's definately not status info.

This happens on CX, previously there were issues with DTS,  but on .22 everything was ok TRUEHD or DTS was transcoded to ac3 because its not supported to play TRUEHD on CXes from APPs only from HDMI inputs. on .23 version on CX it enforces the transcode, while on other CX with .22 it plays fine its directstream transcoding only ac3 in background.

It happens to all my HDR mkvs with TRUEHD, what logs i should provide and where to find them (the ffmpeg log)

19 minutes ago, gacopl said:

I can tell its transcoding as the tonemapping kicks in. The file i have is ST-DL DV/HDR10 mkv. Normally it plays in HDR with AC3, when i select TRUEHD, it goes from directplay to transcode. I immediately see tonemapping is kicking in as resolutions changes to fullhd only and see usage on my server so it's definately not status info.

This happens on CX, previously there were issues with DTS,  but on .22 everything was ok TRUEHD or DTS was transcoded to ac3 because its not supported to play TRUEHD on CXes from APPs only from HDMI inputs. on .23 version on CX it enforces the transcode, while on other CX with .22 it plays fine its directstream transcoding only ac3 in background.

It happens to all my HDR mkvs with TRUEHD, what logs i should provide and where to find them (the ffmpeg log)

Hi, the log files requested here:

Thanks.