ArcSoft TMT Discontinued

ebr

no surprise. only reason to use tmt has been folder rips. as that market dies off so too will products that depend on them.

Spaceboy

Support for wmc has been dead for years. It's still my preferred choice though because it's so good for live and recorded tv

• Like 2

Support for wmc has been dead for years. It's still my preferred choice though because it's so good for live and recorded tv

It's been dead to the mainstream and to development and support but it has still been available.  I expect that to change with Windows 9.

• Like 1

newfiend

As an alternative there is still PowerDVD 14 that works within WMC.. not quite as nice UI wise IMO but it does work still. I think the guys at Arcsoft could have handled the "dropping of support" in a much more professional manner... But I guess it is what it is... <_<

newfiend~

All you ISO and folder rip guys - time to really start looking into converting your media to a more future-friendly format :).

I never used ISOs because I never saw the point of adding that extra layer but I do have a fair amount of old content in folder rip format.  Luckily, the combination of MBC and LAV will play these properly in the internal player but I should probably still look to convert them for the future.

since wmc is a separate download, you never know. it's possible it may still work with 9 just because the os cores are not that different. but i doubt MS will spend much time testing it.

• Like 1

ah, I really liked TMT, it worked as external player bluray rip for mb classic & mbt very well, as well in the mb 2 days.

All you ISO and folder rip guys - time to really start looking into converting your media to a more future-friendly format :).

I only have few ISO's now days (well that only the one I use on my test server).

But sure to start looking for better solution for external player.

• Like 1

newfiend

I only have few ISO's now days (well that only the one I use on my test server).

But sure to start looking for better solution for external player.

Yeah I don't have many .ISO's anymore but I do own a few Blu-Rays I may want to play at some point. I do have a stand alone BR player as well but it stinks when "Media Center" is turning into "Media 2nd".. The all in one box solution I guess just isn't meant to be... (at least for much longer).

balkerman

Always used mpc-hc for my blu-ray folder rips.

What would be the preferred file type to convert to and keep video, audio and subs untouched?

Pete Mazz

What are you guys using for 3D? I only have a couple but TMT has, so far, been the only player that supports them.

And why mkv over just folder rips? Any advantage?

There are a few guys that I know that use MB3 as a front end to a hardware player. Instead of going to a software player like TMT they have custom scripts and executions that will pass the parameters to the hardware player like a Dune with full BD Menu support.

However the choices are slim but the Russian & Chinese hacked firm ware will allow players like Oppo & Pioneer to connect via SMB to the servers, they just have an ugly navigation front end.

Why do we go through the hassle with this here is a picture that will explain why.

image001.jpg

• Like 9

Disappointing, but not the end of the world.. I still intend to use my copy of TMT 5.3.1.144. (No Cinavia) for my 3D movie playback. It has been working well and should continue to do so with or without the ArcSoft support. Having said that, I am catching myself using DLNA playback of movies (Play-To)more and more.

As to why they would do this: With MBS getting more powerful by the day and the global wave of DLNA support, Freeware Blu-ray /ISO Players and TV's with build in players capable to playback a large variety of Movie Formats who really needs a Licensed Player. Licensed Players are no longer needed.

After all that, I still maintain that today the best Media Player (for playback on TV's) on the market today is the MCE/MBS/MBC combo. MCE's handling of music and picture playback is un-matched and so is MBC for movies and TV shows. The way I see it is that MCE will be supported till into the 2020's and unless something better comes along I will just keep a back-up of a full system and I can keep using it until I trip over my own feet from old age!

• Like 1

fantaxp7

I always found I'd run into a problem on the few occasions I had to launch TMT...honestly given up on blu ray disks on my HTPC until a better option is available or they are just gone all together. Very few movies do I feel the need to keep a large image/folder anymore.

Deihmos

Never heard of this before. It looks like a media player but I am having trouble understanding what's the big deal about it.

swhitmore

Never heard of this before. It looks like a media player but I am having trouble understanding what's the big deal about it.

It's one of the only ways to play 3D movies.

Deihmos

It's one of the only ways to play 3D movies.

I played a 3D mkv in WMC fine. Maybe you are referring to a blu-ray which isn't somethign that I use.

swhitmore

I played a 3D mkv in WMC fine. Maybe you are referring to a blu-ray which isn't somethign that I use.

Which player did you use? I never got the native one to work. Did it play in 3D?

I also use TMT6 for bluray playback.