Live TV - Streaming directly to the client ?

Gecko

Hi guys,

I tried the Live TV module (from m3u8) this morning and I noticed that the live stream was going through Emby Server instead of being streamed directly from the iptv source to the client.

Any chance the latter could be achieved so that any live tv streaming would not use any server bandwith ?

Thanks!

Hi.  We cannot do this in any of the apps because we cannot guarantee the streams are from a source that one of the store owners wouldn't object to - and that would blow back on our app, not you.

BillOatman

Additionally, the way it is now if you have multiple clients watching the same stream, Emby can send that stream to all of the clients while using only 1 connection to the IPTV source.

• Like 1

Thanks both of you for you reply.

Maybe it's because I'm not a native English speaker and I miss something here but I don't get the logic behind what you are saying @ebr. Do you have an example of something that could blow back ? What I was referencing is simply Emby Server send the url contained in the m3u8 to the client which then get directly the stream, like a regular iptv stream app. But OK, I get that it is not the way Emby was designed anyway.

@BillOatman That's a nice advantage indeed I did not know about that, especially during football night, but it is not my use case since I have a very limited upload anyway but for other people, that's good to know.

6 hours ago, nSGecko said:

Do you have an example of something that could blow back ?

When you use an app from one of the major app stores (Apple, Google, Amazon, etc.) those providers have the ability to see what urls you are accessing through the app.  If they  determine an app is providing access to what they consider an illegal source, they can remove and ban that app.

The stream sharing is a major advantage of our approach as well, however.