my setting:

series - 3dots menu - "Edit Metadata" - "Display order" : "Aired"

When S00E03 has earlier "Release date" in metadata than S00E02,

How they are displayed is:

S00E01

S00E02

S00E03

S05E01 ~ S05E12

(Unfortunately, the order of episode numbers and aired dates provided by tvdb does not match. Not natural.)

The 3 special episodes have same "Special Episode Info" in their metadata setting which is "Airs during season" : 5, "Airs before episode": 1

When I manually changed "Episode number" in metadata of S00E02 from 2 to 4,

it displayed:

S00E01

S00E03

S00E02

S05E01 ~ S05E12

So, it seems to follow the episode number instead of the release date it was supposed to follow.

(There is no "Aired date" in metadata, I assumed "Release date" is the "Aired date")

In my opinion, for sure it is most natural to follow the order of the episode numbers If it is the same season. Specials will also follow the episode number in their special library.

But, how about making sure that special episodes follow the aired date order only when they appear in other seasons?

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, cavalist said:

my setting:

series - 3dots menu - "Edit Metadata" - "Display order" : "Aired"

When S00E03 has earlier "Release date" in metadata than S00E02,

How they are displayed is:

S00E01

S00E02

S00E03

S05E01 ~ S05E12

(Unfortunately, the order of episode numbers and aired dates provided by tvdb does not match. Not natural.)

The 3 special episodes have same "Special Episode Info" in their metadata setting which is "Airs during season" : 5, "Airs before episode": 1

When I manually changed "Episode number" in metadata of S00E02 from 2 to 4,

it displayed:

S00E01

S00E03

S00E02

S05E01 ~ S05E12

So, it seems to follow the episode number instead of the release date it was supposed to follow.

(There is no "Aired date" in metadata, I assumed "Release date" is the "Aired date")

In my opinion, for sure it is most natural to follow the order of the episode numbers If it is the same season. Specials will also follow the episode number in their special library.

But, how about making sure that special episodes follow the aired date order only when they appear in other seasons?

AFAIK placement of Specials within Season is controlled only by Airs during season/Airs before episode (following S/E), just as regular episodes are controlled by S/E indicators, not Air dates (which can - and mostly is available from providers - but doesn't have to be present at all). 

Edited by GrimReaper

• Solution
2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

AFAIK placement of Specials within Season is controlled only by Airs during season/Airs before episode (following S/E), just as regular episodes are controlled by S/E indicators, not Air dates (which can - and mostly is available from providers - but doesn't have to be present at all). 

Yes this is correct, and the reason is that not all specials should be blended into the episode list, which is what would happen if it was based on air date.

• Like 1