Will Emby eventually sunset OS3 server versions?

explor202

explor202

I haven't "upgraded" from OS3 to OS5 yet on either of my WD devices yet, as I've read a lot of stories about others having issues (mostly related to extensive indexing time). I also haven't upgraded yet because they deprecated Logitech Media Server, which I use 24/7 to stream music to 3 different PC's at home and 2 different Android devices when traveling. I could however run LMS on my EX4100 and not upgrade that to OS5, but if Emby continues support of OS3 I would prefer to leave both my EX4100 and PR4100 as is (and I've never enabled remote access anyway).

Does anyone at Emby have a plan yet on how long versions for OS3 will continue?

Edited by explor202

explor202
58 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, please see similar question here: 

Thanks.

@LukeI did read that a while ago, but your response was fairly vague. I was hoping for a clearer answer about the expected lifespan of Emby for OS3 🙂

As long as it is feasible. There is no specificity there because over time things can happen out of our control that will make it more difficult to support older hardware. The more those difficulties start to accumulate, that's when you have to look at how many people are still using it and make decisions about whether or not it's worth it to keep on supporting. Right now nothing has come up to make supporting OS 3 more difficult than OS 5 but given enough time it is inevitable that one day something will.

explor202
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

As long as it is feasible. There is no specificity there because over time things can happen out of our control that will make it more difficult to support older hardware. The more those difficulties start to accumulate, that's when you have to look at how many people are still using it and make decisions about whether or not it's worth it to keep on supporting. Right now nothing has come up to make supporting OS 3 more difficult than OS 5 but given enough time it is inevitable that one day something will.

Understood and I appreciate the clarity.