Metadata Editor Tool

VicMoore

VicMoore

SOMETHING NEW !

I decided to try and make a metadata editor like the one in Emby but capable of bulk editing.  The attached code is my first attempt.  Some of the ideas are old but the code is new.  This is not a replacement for the tag tool, but an adventure into building a tool similar to the metadata editor in Emby.  I would like comments on how to improve the GUI.  

Vic

emby_new_tool_23.html

Edited by VicMoore
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, VicMoore said:

SOMETHING NEW !

I decided to try and make a metadata editor like the one in Emby but capable of bulk editing.  The attached code is my first attempt.  Some of the ideas are old but the code is new.  This is not a replacement for the tag tool, but an adventure into building a tool similar to the metadata editor in Emby.  I would like comments on how to improve the GUI.  For now, I have disabled saving so as not to destroy your data if something is wrong.  I will enable it in a couple of days, after I have done some testing.

Vic

emby_new_tool.html 69.91 kB · 2 downloads

Hey up, Vic, gave a quick spin, few observations:

1) Number of tags are bleeding off on item windows

363633671_Screenshot2022-02-04181025.thumb.png.10869c25b40415ed5528712bc6728e8a.png

2) On the same view, RED as selected color might not be the most obvious solution as it gets kinda lost between other colors; maybe something more prominent (or invert all fields or shade) so selection is more clearly visible? 

3) Title, Original Title and Sort Title fields are unnecessary wide there; btw Original Title has a typo

1247536910_Screenshot2022-02-04181157.thumb.png.9b2f2fa3c765e8855effc4471e38252a.png

4) (Relating to 3) as well) There should be some left-padding in Metadata window there (or center-aligned) so everything is more centered, it would make it a bit easier on the eyes, left -aligning makes it feel somewhat unproportionate.

1592798230_Screenshot2022-02-04181241.thumb.png.2925006ccdbeaf6a40b6bb93e7861446.png

Overall, nice concept, do continue. 🙂

Cheers

• Agree 1

VicMoore

Thanks GrimReaper, I will make the corrections you suggested. I will try to get a code update out later today.

Vic

VicMoore

GrimReaper, in the new tool, I cleaned up the GUI, and added "select All" and a few other things. The GUI and navigation are starting to solidify.

Vic

edit:  I corrected a few bugs and I turned on saving.  I have left global saving disabled until I do more testing.

emby_new_tool_3.html

Edited by VicMoore
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
4 hours ago, VicMoore said:

GrimReaper, in the new tool, I cleaned up the GUI, and added "select All" and a few other things. The GUI and navigation are starting to solidify.

Vic

edit:  I corrected a few bugs and I turned on saving.  I have left global saving disabled until I do more testing.

emby_new_tool_3.html 75.74 kB · 4 downloads

Shaping up nicely, Vic. 👍

Edit: Another idea:

When multi-selecting number of items - which can be positioned all around the library - it would require a lot of scrolling up/down or clicking Prev/Next to check/reconfirm which items actually are selected; maybe an additional row with only mini-posters (no tags or genres, just identifying artwork) of selected items could be placed between main window and Metadata editor? Crude mockup attached.

1879543918_Screenshot2022-02-05193210-Copy.thumb.png.555307fb9ce9ebb00ade9b5ddb5ae8df.png

Edited by GrimReaper
Append
  • Like 1

VicMoore

GrimReaper...   Your idea is implemented in the code below.  I like it.

Vic

Edited by VicMoore

VicMoore

Last code drop for today.  I added filters and did some more testing.  The only metadata element missing now is "watched" and "unwatched."  I will add those tomorrow.  

Vic

emby_new_tool_5.html

VicMoore

The code below is for the new tool.  I added setting "watched" and "unwatched."   I also fixed several bugs and made a few small changes to the GUI.  The global save is also working.  I am considering allowing items to be selected across folder boundaries.  Let me know if you think this is a good idea.

Vic

emby_new_tool_6.html

Edited by VicMoore

Great tool. Any way to filter on empty tags with the new? The old tool had a feature for it, but it was unusable using a Mac keyboard. Can't select files using the CTRL key.

I am however able to use the new tool, but one at time takes a little effort after the first few hundred or so files trying to find the ones you have not tagged yet.

Yerky

VicMoore

Yes Yerky, I will add it today.  I will post a big update to the New Tool later today.

Vic

• Like 1

VicMoore

Yerky.  the new tool is attached below.  It has your request and many others in it.  I also changed the GUI a little.  I think it's more powerful because you can save tags, genres, people, and studios simultaneously across selections with one click.  Let me know if the GUI is intuitive or if you have ideas for improvements.

Vic

Problem fixed. I forgot to take out some debug code. The code below is OK.

emby_new_tool_7.html

Edited by VicMoore

Tangsgod

Hi there!

I really want to try this tool! Only thing, I can't connect myself.
I downloaded emby_new_too_7.html then open in in Chrome, sign in but each time it fails.
Is there something I'm doing wrong?

tags.JPG

Charles Bosquet

@VicMoore

Good evening,
First of all my admiration for this work. I work in France for a television service and I know what metadata management means!
On the personal side, I manage the Emby accounts for a good number of friends, and I want the metadata to be perfect and well informed (because these are generally programs they have made, dedicated as actors or even produced) .
After a note posted this morning, I was referred to this channel and what a job. A big congratulations.
My current problem is to empty the "Community Rating" and "Parental Rating" fields.
Many have been deleted but I have to go to each program sheet to check, because I can't see if the fields are filled in on the thumbnails (I'm attaching a screenshot)

This manipulation is valid for movies and episodes.
But is it possible to clean the database in one go?
Thank you for your answer, and once again, all my respect for the work done.

Charles.

Image sans titre.png

VicMoore

Charles, I am happy to help.

What fields would you like to change in bulk?

Vic

VicMoore

I corrected a number of bugs.  The latest code is below.

1) I added scroll restore. When you return to a previous page the scroll position is restored.

2) I added a global save/delete option for Parental Rating

Vic

I corrected a small problem with the global saving of parental ratings.

it's 7EST and this is my last code drop for the day. I tested almost everything and found no bugs. I am sure some subtle bugs still exist. I will work on it tomorrow and I will do more testing.

Soon I will put this code in a separate thread (from this one), to separate it from the Tag Tool.

today I corrected a few cosmetic and navigation bugs

emby_new_tool_8.html

Edited by VicMoore