HDHomeRun ATSC3 audio

skinny1962

On 12/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, sgarfinkle said:

@Luke Have you or anyone else had a chance to look at the provided info?  Thanks!

Hi, we are looking into it. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
darrenkdean

Good AM,

Checking in on this topic.  We don't use the HD HomeRun Flex Quatro often, but decided to test this AM.

Noticing that there is no audio in ATSC 3.0 channels, takes 15+ seconds to tune, & some channels cause local Emby app to lock up when you try to back out of the feed.

Has support for Dolby AC-4 been added to Beta?  If so, I can add the xTeVe tuner to the beta docker & test.  Appreciate you guys!

Best-

Darren

rdhardi
4 hours ago, darrenkdean said:

Good AM,

Checking in on this topic.  We don't use the HD HomeRun Flex Quatro often, but decided to test this AM.

Noticing that there is no audio in ATSC 3.0 channels, takes 15+ seconds to tune, & some channels cause local Emby app to lock up when you try to back out of the feed.

Has support for Dolby AC-4 been added to Beta?  If so, I can add the xTeVe tuner to the beta docker & test.  Appreciate you guys!

Best-

Darren

Just some feedback to share my experience.

I'm running a test Emby 4.8.0.21 beta server. I have the HD HomeRun Flex Quatro too and I am getting audio on the ATSC3 channels. On my HTPCs with Emby Theater it direct plays AC4 audio. On my Apple TV & Android Shields it transcodes AC4 to AC3, but it still plays with clear video and sound.

And, yes, it does take about 15-20 seconds to tune into an ATSC3 channel, but once it's tuned it plays well.

Edited by rdhardi
spelling

rdhardi
1 hour ago, rdhardi said:

Just some feedback to share my experience.

I'm running a test Emby 4.8.0.21 beta server. I have the HD HomeRun Flex Quatro too and I am getting audio on the ATSC3 channels. On my HTPCs with Emby Theater it direct plays AC4 audio. On my Apple TV & Android Shields it transcodes AC4 to AC3, but it still plays with clear video and sound.

And, yes, it does take about 15-20 seconds to tune into an ATSC3 channel, but once it's tuned it plays well.

Editing to add: my Emby servers and HTPCs are on Linux. Ubuntu 20.04 & 22.04. I don't really "do" Windows since I left the working world. But, at some point, I will test on one of my husbands Windows machines.

emveepee

On my HTPCs with Emby Theater it direct plays AC4 audio.

How do you manage this?  With Roku and Android maybe but I don't know any HTPC that can direct play AC-4.

sgarfinkle
1 minute ago, emveepee said:

How do you manage this?  With Roku and Android maybe but I don't know any HTPC that can direct play AC-4.

if you are running windows like me, you can pay micro$oft $0.99 for the hevc decoder. but, as I documented last month, it does not much help ffmpeg not suck. 

rdhardi
1 hour ago, emveepee said:

Your question is very advanced for me 🙂. I didn't "manage" to do anything, I simply installed the server, connected with Emby Theater/HTPC, Apple TV, and Android Shield, and reported what I saw in the Dashboard.

I've been a member on the forum since 2019, but I only made my first post last month regarding Apple TV here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/114693-why-is-apple-tv-converting-transcoding-and-deinterlacing-live-tv/#comment-1209478

As I stated, I'm technically experienced in IT sysadmin, except when it comes to multimedia/streaming - I am a noob, still learning all the terminology. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what the Dashboard is reporting?

I do understand that "HEVC is one thing, direct play of AC-4 is quite different", but again just reporting what I saw when playing on HTPC:

Stream:  Direct Play
Video:   1080p HEVC
               Direct Play
Audio:   English AC4 5.1
              Direct Play

When playing from Apple TV or Android Shield, the Audio line states that it's transcoding from AC4 to AC3. Can't do screenshots at this time, so my wording my not be accurate, but just reporting what I saw.

rdhardi

ATSC3 screenshots from Emby beta server 4.8.0.21.

Left image from Emby Theater on HTPC.

Right image from Android Shield.

1493653256_Screenshotfrom2023-01-2218-29-24.png.1fc766acd1b82b4663d41b58a7441b34.png

More info on MY ATSC3 experience on beta 4.8.0.21...

Watching the transcoding folder, there is no transcoding when playing HTPC, except for the one ts file, which to be honest, I've never understood if it's not transcoding, what is it? But it's always there on all my stable versions too even when playing direct.  On the beta, when playing on Android Shield & Apple TV, there is a new folder and lots of transcoding files in it.

sgarfinkle
5 hours ago, emveepee said:

Direct play of HEVC is one thing, direct play of AC-4 is quite different.

Thx, learned something new. Now if I could just get emby to work on my windows box and. my flex.   in the meantime, I've installed a new AM4 cpu and motherboard and moved to windows 11 and the problem is the same. Maybe I should just give up and jump to fedora. 

rdhardi

Sorry, I can't remember the mods names. @Luke@ebr should my replies to this thread be moved to Testing Area/Emby Server? I was replying to @darrenkdean about no audio on atsc3 channels & support for Dolby AC-4 on Beta. I was simply sharing MY experience that I DO get ac4 audio on 4.8.0.21 beta when using htpc (not on apple tv & android shield). It seems like this might veer into discussions way above my understanding, and I just wanted to share feedback, as requested on beta dashboard, from MY experience. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2023 at 9:35 PM, rdhardi said:

Sorry, I can't remember the mods names. @Luke@ebr should my replies to this thread be moved to Testing Area/Emby Server? I was replying to @darrenkdean about no audio on atsc3 channels & support for Dolby AC-4 on Beta. I was simply sharing MY experience that I DO get ac4 audio on 4.8.0.21 beta when using htpc (not on apple tv & android shield). It seems like this might veer into discussions way above my understanding, and I just wanted to share feedback, as requested on beta dashboard, from MY experience. Thanks!

Hi, yes, ideally beta discussion should be in the Testing Area. Thanks !

• Thanks 1