HDHomeRun ATSC3 audio

skinny1962

StLDreiling
22 hours ago, skinny1962 said:

Anybody know the time frame for Emby working with HDHomeRun ATSC3 audio?

ATSC 3.0 uses Dolby AC-4 as its audio standard. According to the changelogs for the recent dev and beta builds, AC-4 support should be part of the next major Emby update. I'm not exactly sure how they're implementing it, since ffmpeg still doesn't decode AC-4, so I'm curious as to how "wide" support will be (ie. will it only be for live TV streams, but not AC-4 encoded audio streams in media files throughout the rest of our libraries?). I'm trying to watch this space closely as Google is shutting down its Fiber TV service, negating my Colossus and IR blaster, so I've consoled myself w/ an HDHR Flex 4K (lol) and am anxious to stream the 4K OTA content already available in KC.

skinny1962
On 2/12/2022 at 9:27 AM, StLDreiling said:

ATSC 3.0 uses Dolby AC-4 as its audio standard. According to the changelogs for the recent dev and beta builds, AC-4 support should be part of the next major Emby update. I'm not exactly sure how they're implementing it, since ffmpeg still doesn't decode AC-4, so I'm curious as to how "wide" support will be (ie. will it only be for live TV streams, but not AC-4 encoded audio streams in media files throughout the rest of our libraries?). I'm trying to watch this space closely as Google is shutting down its Fiber TV service, negating my Colossus and IR blaster, so I've consoled myself w/ an HDHR Flex 4K (lol) and am anxious to stream the 4K OTA content already available in KC.

I see you are from Kanas City. I am in Lawence, KS. I was wondering how many ATSC.3 channels you were receiving? I am getting 8 out of KC and two others that don't pick up anything 5000 and 5001.

StLDreiling
On 2/14/2022 at 12:26 PM, skinny1962 said:

I see you are from Kanas City. I am in Lawence, KS. I was wondering how many ATSC.3 channels you were receiving? I am getting 8 out of KC and two others that don't pick up anything 5000 and 5001.

I'm getting the KC-area 8, as well, but nothing else. I'm in south KC w/ the amped antenna for my Flex 4K facing north, where all the broadcast towers are, If there are other ATSC 3.0 broadcasts in range, I'm not surprised they don't come up. EMAW :)

104.1    WDAF    
105.1    KCTV    
109.1    KMBC    
119.1    KCPT    
129.1    KCWE    
138.1    KMCI    
141.1    KSHB    
162.1    KSMO

• 2 weeks later...

You guys could try installing the beta to test with.

You can do this just for testing without having to overwrite your existing setup and have 2 versions of Emby on the same machine.

This would entail installing the beta as a portable version and set to use a different set of ports.

If you would like specific instruction to set this up just say the word.
Of course the easiest thing to do for testing Live TV without a local PCI tuner is to install the beta on another machine around the house and only setup TV so very little space is needed.
The space requirement will basically be just for transcoding and any DVR material but you could save DVR to a network share if you wanted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
gwbaker

Glad to hear this is being worked on, thanks Luke.   Just installed antenna and SD HD HomeRun and came to figure why there was no audio on ATSC 3.0 channels.

Eagerly awaiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, skinny1962 said:

how do you install emby beta pak file?

Hi, what platform are you running Emby Server on?

skinny1962
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what platform are you running Emby Server on?

Windows 11.

• 2 weeks later...
emveepee

Will it really matter?  I read that broadcasters are going to start using DRM with ATSC 3.0 this summer  https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/tablo-will-delay-the-release-of-its-atsc-3-0-quad-ota-dvr/  which means ffmpeg won't be able to open the files anyway.

I suspect Emby will need to support DRM and license AC-4 to compete with the SiliconDust or Tablo DVR solutions.

Martin

jasonmcroy

I don't suspect this is going to be an issue on local networks like NBC, FOX, CBS, etc. In what I have been reading it looks like they could use DRM to deliver pay-per-view content via this signal or maybe even premium content as they like to call it.

The other downside to ATSC 3.0 is the ability of the broadcasters to detect what you're watching for the stated purpose of targeted advertising. On one side it is possible this is a plus for the local networks in that they may keep their signal DRM free because they could make more money from the advertising side.  I guess we'll have to see what the future holds when they figure out how to use all this to make more money.

Either way, all broadcasters have to keep the current 1.0 signal you're already getting for 5 years and other than sports it seems like any high-definition content will not be coming too soon.

Additionally, I never put too much stock in cordcutternews information. They are very well known for jumping the gun on stories with alarming data that they later have to retract or change. 

• 7 months later...
sgarfinkle

Not sure whether I should start a new thread?  I have the latest beta (4.8.x) installed on my Windows 10 box, but still no ATSC 3.0 channels working.  I actually have the Microsoft HEVC codec installed, so the Silicondust HDHomehrun app does play the ATSC 3.0 channels ok.   This makes emby not very useful for me, since my main use case is recording the local CBS station (KHOU) which works great for me on 111.1 (atsc 3.0) but not at all on the legacy 11.1 channel.

31 minutes ago, sgarfinkle said:

Not sure whether I should start a new thread?  I have the latest beta (4.8.x) installed on my Windows 10 box, but still no ATSC 3.0 channels working.  I actually have the Microsoft HEVC codec installed, so the Silicondust HDHomehrun app does play the ATSC 3.0 channels ok.   This makes emby not very useful for me, since my main use case is recording the local CBS station (KHOU) which works great for me on 111.1 (atsc 3.0) but not at all on the legacy 11.1 channel.

I asked about why ATSC 3.0 was not working back in March.  Not sure if it was an Emby update, or my Samsung TV software being updated, but now ATSC 3.0 is workioung just fine with Emby.  Must be another variable in your setup.

sgarfinkle
31 minutes ago, gwbaker said:

I asked about why ATSC 3.0 was not working back in March.  Not sure if it was an Emby update, or my Samsung TV software being updated, but now ATSC 3.0 is workioung just fine with Emby.  Must be another variable in your setup.

What version of the server are you using and on what OS?

4 hours ago, sgarfinkle said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

sgarfinkle
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Thank you! I'm technically experienced; but, brand new to emby, so I appreciate the pointer.  In the meantime, I now have HEVC audio going mostly; except, for some reason there's no right channel on the one station I care about (of course, lol).  I will go look at the provided link.

On 11/25/2022 at 2:39 PM, sgarfinkle said:

Thank you! I'm technically experienced; but, brand new to emby, so I appreciate the pointer.  In the meantime, I now have HEVC audio going mostly; except, for some reason there's no right channel on the one station I care about (of course, lol).  I will go look at the provided link.

@sgarfinkle

Hi, yes, please provide that info so we can take a closer look at the issue. Thanks !

sgarfinkle

OK, so a bit more detail and logs. I started a session and, from the guide screen, looked at three stations (all served by my HDHR Flex-4k).  Client and server are running on the same system.  Hardware highlights: I7-3770 cpu with 24gb DDR3, GTX-1660ti, Intel 82579 NIC @1gbps. Latest Win10 x64 release, nvidia driver 516.94.

1. 111.1  (KHOU, ATSC-3) -- this never even started video.  Note that a second pass (ffmpeg-transcode-311f630c-630d-431b-a593-f22be0fbf796_1.txt) after (more or less) successfully running step 2,  it started video with audio only from the Left channel. This is a repeatable behavior
  2. 108.1 (KUHT, ATSC-3)  - audio and video start, though it is very choppy and pixelated
  3.  2.1 (KPRC, ATSC) - works ok, though still choppy and pixelated

Note that all three channels work completely fine if I use the native HDHomeRun app.

ffmpeg-transcode-f303e8d1-a688-4d58-91a2-67a074e916ed_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-4cbcc54e-9485-41ed-88cc-ff85b43d37bd_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-9cf3ed77-fad3-4749-b0fd-36701c715df7_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-218ce687-be6d-4230-8dc5-7b6d5d2540cf_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-9b3eecf7-5b15-47c3-98ee-ea9490331423_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-746572a4-1d95-4f52-9f9f-63cf64c3d7d5_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-b409e5e9-d7d1-4cf1-b3c9-9beb41a3c78e_1.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-311f630c-630d-431b-a593-f22be0fbf796_1.txt

• 2 weeks later...
sgarfinkle

Also, I've never dived into ffmpeg, so I'm wondering: The log shows that ffmpeg recognizes that my gtx1660ti has hardware hvec decoding; however, it's not clear whether that's turned on in your embuy build. I won't even attempt to understand the plethora of errors logged, lol.