Forced to update server version?

explor202

explor202

Tonight I tried to use Emby on my Roku, but was displayed a message that I needed to update my version of the server. The version number displayed on the Roku was 4.0.44, however when I check my PR4100 (3.0), I see 4.5.3.0. I was able to watch on my PC though, so I'm wondering why I can't on the Roku. What's the oldest version that can still be run? Based on previous GUI changes that I don't like I'm very hesitant to update to anything newer, but it seems I have no choice if I want to continue using the Roku.

Happy2Play

The beta app updates has superseded the old server install 4.5.30 (Dec 03, 2020)

Current stable server version is 4.6.7.0 (Nov 21, 2021)

Have a look here as I am guessing the 3.0 is OS3

Emby Server for Western Digital NAS - Emby

As the other link on Download pages appears to be OS5.

Note the official Roku Channel 4.0.31 may still work but will stop eventually also.

explor202
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The beta app updates has superseded the old server install 4.5.30 (Dec 03, 2020)

Current stable server version is 4.6.7.0 (Nov 21, 2021)

Have a look here as I am guessing the 3.0 is OS3

Emby Server for Western Digital NAS - Emby

As the other link on Download pages appears to be OS5.

Note the official Roku Channel 4.0.31 may still work but will stop eventually also.

Thanks for the info and yes, meant that I'm still on OS3. So based on the latest beta version being available 19 hours ago, that forced 4.5.30 to be deprecated? I've never heard of beta releases triggering version enforcement in the stable channel.

Edited by explor202

Happy2Play

Roku will be killing our Roku beta channel; I believe around the end of the month also.

But no app will work on old server forever.  You would have to stop updated on server an client if even possilbe.

explor202
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Roku will be killing our Roku beta channel; I believe around the end of the month also.

But no app will work on old server forever.  You would have to stop updated on server an client if even possilbe.

I'm not on anything beta, only stable release for me. I understand things don't last forever, just trying to clarify why this seemed to happen out of the blue.

Happy2Play

Sorry you are correct as I did not see that 4.0.44 was released today.  So yes, todays update Roku channel update broke your current setup.

Note 4.5 to 4.6 is a major update with database updates and migrations of how Collections are handle.

explor202
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry you are correct as I did not see that 4.0.44 was released today.  So yes, todays update Roku channel update broke your current setup.

Okay, that helps. I didn't realize 4.0.44 was the Roku version number.