DELL POWEREDGE R820 2U SERVER Compatability

Chris2515

Chris2515

DELL POWEREDGE R820 2U SERVER - QUAD XEONE5-4620 V2 2.6GHZ OCTACORE CPUS - 256GB RAM 

Hi community, I am looking at buying the server and was wondering if any of you guys know if this would be able to run Unraid and Emby. 
I am setting up a media server and I am new to it all so any advice would be great. 

thanks 

rbjtech

Personally, a 10th or 11th Gen i5 or i7 will run rings around it for transcoding performance as they have an iGPU - Xeons do not.

They also consume a fraction of the power - so unless you specifically need a large core count and large memory, then I would go for the i5/i7 desktop.

These type of servers are 'cheap' because they are old power hungry tech - the core count is what draws people in, but even with 32 cores, the desktop iGPU will outperform it for transcoding (at a fraction of the power..) - Each Xeon is 95W - that 400W of power for all 4 if they are at 100% ... 😬

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Chris2515 said:

Hey gents, thanks for getting back to me. I decided to buy and get set up for Emby. 

Thanks for the advice. 

You'll be fine!

I've got dual e5-2690's and they handled transcoding "decently" for a single user. I did ultimately end up throwing in a nvidia card. I've now got a ton setup on this server and it doesn't break a sweat. So with quad cpu's.... you'll do just fine.

Chris2515

Nice! That gives me more confidence to get it set up. 
I will post an update with what I found and let you guys know how it went and what I used.

Cheers 

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2022 at 10:58 PM, Chris2515 said:

Nice! That gives me more confidence to get it set up. 
I will post an update with what I found and let you guys know how it went and what I used.

Cheers 

Just wondering how your making out?

How many disks have you stuffed in your server so far?