4k MKV file H265 video freezing LG OLED65B7A Emby player

Slopelitter
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

Slopelitter

I'm having issues with Emby player on LG smart TV it is freezing unless I drop the rate to 4k 60Megbit  when I do that HDR does not work. I noticed it's transcoding from the dashboard on the Emby server. When I see the transcoding buffer go above 10 it freezes I'm assuming the TV CPU can't keep up? When I look at the settings I set everything to max still freezes if I go above 4k 60 Meg.  I did have a 2019 NVidia Shield I sold recently thinking this TV app would be better because the remote works better then trying to use the LG TV remote with the Shield which it was much easier to use with the TV app. Should I have kept the Shield would it have done the same thing? Should I buy another media player not sure what to get. The videos are stored locally on a truenas server watching with VLC player on my PC I don't have any of these problems.  Seems to work without a problem on 1080P videos just this 4k video. I did test it before I sold my shield with another 4k H265 video seemed to work maybe I didn't watch it long enough before the freezing started. The TV is using wired LAN to a 1G switch which is also connected to the server. At first I thought it was a wireless problem I pulled a wire to the TV hard wired the freezing continued. 

Edited by Slopelitter

Is it DirectPlay, DirectStream or Transcode?  What is the full media info for the file?  Any ffmpeg or server logs?

What we need to do first is work out why it is transcoding. High bitrate/4K transcoding or Directstream will be a problem on these platforms as it is really beyond the TV’s specs and capabilities of its processor. 

Particularly if you want to retain the HDR component then you need to work out what is required to make it DirectPlay. This will mean making sure that the audio/video/subs and their associated codecs and specifications match the TV’s known capabilities.  The logs can help us narrow that down. 

Slopelitter
2 hours ago, SamES said:

What we need to do first is work out why it is transcoding. High bitrate/4K transcoding or Directstream will be a problem on these platforms as it is really beyond the TV’s specs and capabilities of its processor. 

Particularly if you want to retain the HDR component then you need to work out what is required to make it DirectPlay. This will mean making sure that the audio/video/subs and their associated codecs and specifications match the TV’s known capabilities.  The logs can help us narrow that down. 

It's Transcoding not direct play and that is what I wanted to know was if it's beyond what the TV can do I will need a hardware player again.  Yes I want to retain HDR as it's the entire point of watching it on my OLED TV. I was able to reproduce the same issue on another LG 42" newer TV. When I tried it on a Amazon fire TV it was playing directPlay not transcoding it also was freezing. 

I understand the limits of the hardware my question is what device should I buy that plays this smoothly? Should I go back to the Shield? If so what version works best?.  The files are stored on a freenas server. 

embyserver (2).txt ffmpeg-remux-efd1549f-f381-4c1a-9c31-880016b6266c_1.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by Slopelitter

• Solution

The issue is that the default/first audio stream is TrueHD which is not supported.

Before playing this file, select the AC3 audio track from the details screen.  You will need to make sure you change the playback quality back to Auto as well.

Just be aware that this file is >60 Mbit, so you will need to make sure your network connection is good.

Slopelitter
On 2/12/2022 at 9:58 PM, SamES said:

The issue is that the default/first audio stream is TrueHD which is not supported.

Before playing this file, select the AC3 audio track from the details screen.  You will need to make sure you change the playback quality back to Auto as well.

Just be aware that this file is >60 Mbit, so you will need to make sure your network connection is good.

That fixed it thanks you might want to disable trueHD if it's not supported so it just runs in AC3 save lot of trouble at least have a note popup. 

Everything is wired 1Gbit no wireless so far so good have watched 3 UHD movies. I notice now once I changed it to AC3 it no longer says translating it says direct play. 

Edited by Slopelitter
  • Like 1

No problem.  We don't disable any codecs, but we try to convert them to a playable format.  This works fine to an extent, but 4K/HEVC/high bitrate files are a bit of a special case.  In this case, DTS is as much of a problem as TrueHD.

Just be aware that many TV's only have 100Mbit LAN ports, so wifi is often faster.  If your TV is a recent model it's likely to be Gbit now, but for others that find this thread it's something for them to be aware of.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:53 AM, SamES said:

Just be aware that many TV's only have 100Mbit LAN ports, so wifi is often faster.  If your TV is a recent model it's likely to be Gbit now, but for others that find this thread it's something for them to be aware of.

a USB2LAN Adapter is a good solution for owners of LG TVs with 100Mbit LAN ports, that want a wired connection instead of WLAN 😉

• Like 1