[ATV/Mobile app] Merge applications and let one switch between layouts

Weevillo

Weevillo

Hi, this kind of surpasses a "feature" request but I got the idea from @sydlexius and this thread. From that lengthy discussion I realized I liked the mobile UI a lot more then the TV version's, but that adopting the mobile one would probably never come to fruition. I therefore suggest that, instead of having two separate apps in development, Emby could benefit from having one app for the android platform but with the option of choosing either the TV layout or the mobile one.

Using the mobile APK (even on the powerful Shield TV) lags in playback, and since it's main purpose isn't for TV usage it's unlikely to get fixed. Optimizing for both platforms might seem tedious at first but it's what comes after that'll make it worth it.

The TV UI, in my opinion, caters to individuals that likes to have everything available within the OSD while the mobile one is designed with minimalism in mind. I prefer the latter one of the aforementioned two. I'm very much in the dark of the complications with honoring such a request so I might be wishing for the impossible, but on paper it feels like a win-win for everyone including the developers.

• Agree 1

Weevillo
29 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Thanks, although there doesn't seem to have been anything new added than "try to side-load".

GrimReaper

There isn't, that was more for a comment:

Hi, two apps is just how we started a long time ago but we're gradually working on unifying over time.

Weevillo
17 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

There isn't, that was more for a comment:

Ah okay got it. Pardon for being nosy but is this "work" mostly back-end, under the hood stuff? From a user POV they look as different as ever.