Setting subtitle brightness or transparency for LG OLED

MSI2017

MSI2017

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a new LG OLED which looks asbolutely stunning. Since I do plan to keep using it for quite long I am quite concerned about burn-in. I have all the built-in protection enabled but when watching HDR content on emby the subtitles are always blinding me at full brightness. The OLED of my friend already had burn-in there after two years. 

Therefore it would be pretty cool if I could sett the subtiltes to be a bit dimmer when watching HDR content. 

Thanks for the awesome app!

• Like 4

rbjtech
On 04/02/2022 at 22:24, MSI2017 said:

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a new LG OLED which looks asbolutely stunning. Since I do plan to keep using it for quite long I am quite concerned about burn-in. I have all the built-in protection enabled but when watching HDR content on emby the subtitles are always blinding me at full brightness. The OLED of my friend already had burn-in there after two years. 

Therefore it would be pretty cool if I could sett the subtiltes to be a bit dimmer when watching HDR content. 

Thanks for the awesome app!

What Client ?

if you are using FireTV/AndroidTV - then there is already many options in the 'Playback/Subtitle' config to display White/Yellow or Grey subtitles and also brightness of Normal/Dim/Dimmer ...

For my LG OLED via the Shield - I have it set to White/Dim and they effectively show as Grey.  Dimmer is a little too dark for non HDR content.

Edited by rbjtech

MSI2017
20 hours ago, rbjtech said:

What Client ?

if you are using FireTV/AndroidTV - then there is already many options in the 'Playback/Subtitle' config to display White/Yellow or Grey subtitles and also brightness of Normal/Dim/Dimmer ...

For my LG OLED via the Shield - I have it set to White/Dim and they effectively show as Grey.  Dimmer is a little too dark for non HDR content.

LG WebOS app, no such option at the moment

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

LG WebOS app, no such option at the moment

Ah ok - then a valid request !  👍

• 2 weeks later...
MSI2017
On 2/9/2022 at 1:28 PM, rbjtech said:

Ah ok - then a valid request !  👍

Yeah I hoped that others would also think its a good idea, I might be a touch too carefull with my OLED but subtitle burn-in happens quickly and the things are super expensive

• 6 months later...

I also feel the subtitels can be a bit bright while wathing HDR content. Can´t find any settings to change it.

Edited by Lunna

MSI2017
1 minute ago, Luke said:

There will be a light gray option in the next update to the app. Thanks.

I'd rather have transparency to be honest, Grey would still drive the white pixels quite hard en and would barely activate the rest. Having it be like 75% transparent would mean those pixels match the rest of the panel a bit more

21 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

I'd rather have transparency to be honest, Grey would still drive the white pixels quite hard en and would barely activate the rest. Having it be like 75% transparent would mean those pixels match the rest of the panel a bit more

That option should already be there, I would think. If it's not it will be there in the next app update, but the current release isn't that old so it should be there already.

MSI2017
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

That option should already be there, I would think. If it's not it will be there in the next app update, but the current release isn't that old so it should be there already.

I've just checked to be sure, but only background transparency is an option 

• 5 months later...
gcornilescu

It's not as much as it burns the OLED (which it does, at least on my older LG OLED) but it burns my EYES. Need to be able to set less bright fonts and many more background colors and brightness levels. Inherently CC is high contrast, so with HDR needs to be toned down.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
rbjtech
12 hours ago, Kraszer said:

It would be great to be able to lower subtitles and UI brightness in settings. UI is very bright on full TV brightness.

use the Grey subtitles - they are not as intensive.