Jump to content

Setting subtitle brightness or transparency for LG OLED


MSI2017
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a new LG OLED which looks asbolutely stunning. Since I do plan to keep using it for quite long I am quite concerned about burn-in. I have all the built-in protection enabled but when watching HDR content on emby the subtitles are always blinding me at full brightness. The OLED of my friend already had burn-in there after two years. 

Therefore it would be pretty cool if I could sett the subtiltes to be a bit dimmer when watching HDR content. 

 

Thanks for the awesome app!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not that worried about burn in. However being able to tweak the subtitles would be nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HI, yes we can expand on the current subtitle options. Thanks for the feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/02/2022 at 22:24, MSI2017 said:

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a new LG OLED which looks asbolutely stunning. Since I do plan to keep using it for quite long I am quite concerned about burn-in. I have all the built-in protection enabled but when watching HDR content on emby the subtitles are always blinding me at full brightness. The OLED of my friend already had burn-in there after two years. 

Therefore it would be pretty cool if I could sett the subtiltes to be a bit dimmer when watching HDR content. 

 

Thanks for the awesome app!

What Client ?

if you are using FireTV/AndroidTV - then there is already many options in the 'Playback/Subtitle' config to display White/Yellow or Grey subtitles and also brightness of Normal/Dim/Dimmer ...

For my LG OLED via the Shield - I have it set to White/Dim and they effectively show as Grey.  Dimmer is a little too dark for non HDR content.

Edited by rbjtech
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, rbjtech said:

What Client ?

if you are using FireTV/AndroidTV - then there is already many options in the 'Playback/Subtitle' config to display White/Yellow or Grey subtitles and also brightness of Normal/Dim/Dimmer ...

For my LG OLED via the Shield - I have it set to White/Dim and they effectively show as Grey.  Dimmer is a little too dark for non HDR content.

LG WebOS app, no such option at the moment

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

LG WebOS app, no such option at the moment

Ah ok - then a valid request !  👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 1:28 PM, rbjtech said:

Ah ok - then a valid request !  👍

Yeah I hoped that others would also think its a good idea, I might be a touch too carefull with my OLED but subtitle burn-in happens quickly and the things are super expensive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

I also feel the subtitels can be a bit bright while wathing HDR content. Can´t find any settings to change it.

Edited by Lunna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There will be a light gray option in the next update to the app. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Luke said:

There will be a light gray option in the next update to the app. Thanks.

I'd rather have transparency to be honest, Grey would still drive the white pixels quite hard en and would barely activate the rest. Having it be like 75% transparent would mean those pixels match the rest of the panel a bit more

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

I'd rather have transparency to be honest, Grey would still drive the white pixels quite hard en and would barely activate the rest. Having it be like 75% transparent would mean those pixels match the rest of the panel a bit more

That option should already be there, I would think. If it's not it will be there in the next app update, but the current release isn't that old so it should be there already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

That option should already be there, I would think. If it's not it will be there in the next app update, but the current release isn't that old so it should be there already.

I've just checked to be sure, but only background transparency is an option 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...