Title of movie in text instead of picture

Fry1990

Hello again.

I decieded to buy emby for fire tv.

I bought it already and im happy with it.

But there is one thing im actually missing.

I have a movie collection created.

The screen is full of pictures from the movies to choose them from there.

Is it possible to change the layout from pictures to title text of the movies only?

Thanks. Regards. Fry

• Like 4

Yes. I want to "switch" between Picture Layout and plain text layout.
Only for the overview of my Movie List.
In Kodi > Emby Con, this is possible.
But i wanted to use Emby for Fire TV instead cause of some reasons like i think this software is better.

The reason i  want this is for e.g. that i have a large legal list of movies.
I could browse faster between the movies and browse more accurate for my eye if its only plain text in the overview.

I have 2300 legal own recorded movies from sattelite television.
So to scrol down 2300 movies in pictures is hard.
But to scrol down 2300 movies in text is a bit faster and easier to read.
If i choose/click a film i wanted to have the film infos like its now.

But dont think false of me.
The Picture Layout is not soooo bad for me and im satisfied too.
But it would be a bit nicer if i could "switch" between picture list and plain text list like in Kodi addon emby con.

movies_kodi_emby_con_text.thumb.JPG.32f72ed35cb2ade8b4342decc538e35f.JPG

movies_kodi_emby_con_picture.thumb.JPG.c281f91b4ac75e3a209a87b06a423e43.JPG

Edited by Fry1990

Junglejim

Hi mate, if I understand you correctly you want a list view? Emby already has a few view options available for each library. Not sure they are work on all platforms (someone could verify that) but there's a list view in Emby that looks a lot better than Kodi's effort!

Screenshot_2022-02-05_16-35-52.png

If you select a movie you will be greeted with the usual info screen.

Screenshot_2022-02-05_17-05-20.png

Edited by Junglejim

Junglejim

Yea that's what I thought, that why I added... Not sure they are work on all platforms (someone could verify that)..

I haven't got a Fire Tv so I wasn't sure.

So yea valid feature request for sure! :)

I'm not sure how much traction you will get on this request, personally I like the default view but I only have a small collection of movies and TvShows. I used to have a lot more but I got over hording crap I'll never watch again years ago.

Good luck with this request, I'll give it a +1 :)

Edited by Junglejim

Hi. Even our list views have relatively large images on each item so a purely text list is still a valid request.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I am surprised there is not a lot more support for this "text only list" request.  Maybe there are not many people with a large collection.  With graphics I can only see about 14 shows, then I have to start paging down.  Also, I cannot read it as fast as text only.  

When you design a text only view, I hope you de-emphasize how arty it looks, and emphasize reading thru a large collection fast.  One setting can be 1 show per line with many helpful columns.  A 2nd setting couild be 2 or 3 columns of titles only, or the title and more info that gets truncated as needed.  Windows Explorer is great example.  

I remember how Google started, and bucked the trend of clutter and glitz, by using a clean text interface and text results.  

I also want "text only" for tv shows.  I think the Emby team, if they were to do this, would do it for all libraries.   I think the Emby team does not want me to start a separate post for TV shows in "text only".

Edited by xrqp

Happy2Play

There is a Table view coming 4.8.

image.thumb.png.5c4d28dcb0810c68163131c09ec0a1e4.png

But I still see more items as poster (30) vs table with 14 (each are scrollable).

But from a text only standpoint it will still be about what information is available.  So Table will be just as limited unless you could have all columns with Title only.

But to me the EmbyCon  view/layout is a different request then "Title of movie in text instead of picture".

Good to hear that.  Some suggestions to reduce wasted space in that table view:

1. The 3 rating columns should all be very narrow.  The column titles, if they are wider than the data, should be wrapped text and abbreviated if needed, so it is no wider than the data.
  2. The year of release is sufficient, so drop the date of release.
  3. Then you can go to 2 columns instead of one.  Which results in lines that are short enough to follow across easily, so you can also reduce the vertical space between lines.

The alternating highlight of each line is great.

I think you are saying the table view only give 14 lines (14  shows)?  That is bad.  I think my suggestions could quadruple that number.

But it is good to see there is an option coming that is moving in this direction.  I can read the title column very fast compared to previous layouts.

Edited by xrqp

seanbuff
12 minutes ago, xrqp said:

Good to hear that.  Some suggestions to reduce wasted space in that table view:

1. The 3 rating columns should all be very narrow.  The column titles, if they are wider than the data, should be wrapped text and abbreviated if needed, so it is no wider than the data.
  2. The year of release is sufficient, so drop the date of release.
  3. Then you can go to 2 columns instead of one.  Which results in lines that are short enough to follow across easily, so you can also reduce the vertical space between lines.

The alternating highlight of each line is great.

The column fields are all selectable, so you can add/remove whichever you like as per this post:

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, xrqp said:

Some suggestions to reduce wasted space in that table view:

Well that comes from how many options you have enabled to show in the table as there are currently 23 value.

6 minutes ago, xrqp said:

The 3 rating columns should all be very narrow.  The column titles, if they are wider than the data, should be wrapped text and abbreviated if needed, so it is no wider than the data.

Sure you can wrap the header making the header multiple rows vs the size of the column. But "Community Rating" will always be larger then say 4 character value.

11 minutes ago, xrqp said:

I think you are saying the table view only give 14 lines (14  shows)?  That is bad.  I think my suggestions could quadruple that number

It is a scrollable table.  But a screen is only so big but is scaled to screen but see no way to quadruple unless your have a table of nothing but titles in every column.

image.thumb.png.a43729ee87ae58f140953aa63187dad8.png

I look forward to trying it.  It is great we can pick the columns we want.  I think you are implying that the column widths are adjustable by dragging.  With this, I am sure I can arrange it to use only half the width of a screen, so I could have 2 tables side by side.  (In both screen shots, much space is unused in the width.)

Will we be able to do 2 tables side by side? 

Can we reduce vertical spacing?

If the answer is no, and no, I am still pleased with this option.  Thanks to all and to emby team!

Edited by xrqp

seanbuff
14 minutes ago, xrqp said:

I think you are implying that the column widths are adjustable by dragging.

the column widths are currently not adjustable but someone has already suggested it in the other thread

Happy2Play
22 minutes ago, xrqp said:

Will we be able to do 2 tables side by side?

Currently no it is one table that scales to the screen.

image.thumb.png.54ee2e65ea2496f820453e19bfac1842.png