Editing Video NFO file to use different poster

Branables
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Branables

Hello, 

Recently, I've been trying to script some bulk editing of the NFO file in my Emby Library. This was mostly just a fun project for myself to learn more with Python. Currently my biggest issue I'm running into is trying to update the video NFO file to use a new Poster. 

Whenever I edit the NFO file lines:

<art>
    <poster>/config/metadata/library/37/3776ebd48296df86690cc5c678d8814e/poster.jpg</poster>
  </art>

to something like:

<art>
    <poster>/config/my_posters/MoviePoster.jpg</poster>
  </art>

Then try to update the Metadata for the video in Emby, Emby will overwrite the poster data back to the original value.

A couple notes on how I've set up my system.

• Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with Emby installed inside of a Docker Container.
  • The media is stored a ZFS file set up across 3 mechanical hard drives and mapped to Emby via docker
  • The Emby program and config files are on the SSD and mapped to Emby via docker

My goal was to have the NFO and Posters on the SSD while the media files could live on the much larger drives. 

Currently, the NFO files live in the media folders (which means they are on the mechanical hard drives). I'm okay with keeping the NFO files on the mechanical drives. I was hoping to keep the loading times down on the thumbnails, but it's possible that the NFO file has to be accessed before loading the thumbnails so I might be shooting myself in the foot.  Also, I am aware that it's probably overkill keeping the thumbnails on the SSD, but I really prefer my system to be as snappy as possible. (I have thousands of videos in certain directories, so any optimizations can make a difference).

My main questions are:

1. Is there a way to update the poster via the NFO? Or am I doing something incorrectly. 
  2. Do you think NFO files on the mechanical disks would bottleneck the posters enough to the point where keeping the posters on the mechanical disks wouldn't matter?

Thanks for any help you can provide, and sorry if I posted this in the wrong subforum

Hello Branables,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Solution
Happy2Play

To my knowledge Emby does not use the nfo urls at all, they are only written for Kodi.

Personally, I keep everything stored with media, the only time you could/would see an issue is if your media was in the cloud from the majority of topics out there.

Technically you would have to update the database for a custom path like have shown above.

Now nfo files are only read once and written to the database, only a change in the nfo will cause it to be read again.  As you can see the server default metadata path is written to nfo with database id folders.  So that database link will always be used for images from your SSD metadata path.

Branables

Thank you! That is very helpful to know. I'm not certain, but I'd assume the DB is kept in the config file, which means the SSD for my set up. 

Happy2Play
Just now, Branables said:

Thank you! That is very helpful to know. I'm not certain, but I'd assume the DB is kept in the config file, which means the SSD for my set up. 

Don't know the platform but yes it would be in /config/data.