DLNA Guide ?

Tester

I am starting to mess with DLNA but having all sorts of issues.. Since I am a newbie at it, I have to assume I am doing almost everything wrong.

Having said that, before I start posting issues/questions, it sure would be nice to follow a DLNA startup guide to start with.

Anyone ?

• Like 1

TheShanMan

Ditto. I've tried using mediabrowser on my 2 dlna clients and it doesn't work on either out of the box. One allows me to browse all content but gives a "file corrupt or missing" error when I try to play something and the other only shows top level folders which are empty if you try to navigate to them. I realize that I'll need to set up profiles for my devices but I wouldn't know how to go about it.

Happy2Play

If you google "writing dlna profile" there is a pretty comprehensive guide, every dlna server is implemented differently.  But your best bet is just to ask if you are having issues with a device or profile.

If you google "writing dlna profile" there is a pretty comprehensive guide, every dlna server is implemented differently.  But your best bet is just to ask if you are having issues with a device or profile.

I agree, but I still think there is enough to create an "MB3 side only" guide.. things like how/why User profiles are linked with DLNA profiles would be very helpful.

Regardless, I went ahead and posted my first issue here

Edited by Tester

• 2 weeks later...
MediaExplorer

Setting up DLNA on any device is a trial and error process. If you are looking for help on a specific device you can always start a new topic assuming you have done a quick search on this forum.

In general, you can copy the profiles given in MBS and modify those until you get it just right. Direct play and transcoding tabs are the usual starting point. Keep an eye on server logs and transcoding logs as you go along.

This may not be the step-by-step guide you were looking for but I hope it gets you started on it.