Configuration backup

teicang

teicang

Hi friend,

I have another time some problem on my tnas and therefore probably I have to reinstall it again, before to proceed I would like to know if is possible in some way to make a configuration emby backup to not loose all my collection, adjusted cover and so on.

So after the Reinstall the emby app I can restore it without to start again from scratch. 

Many thx

Gianni

teicang

I found In a topic, follow procedure , can I use it ?

Thx

How to Backup Manually

The following instructions will detail how to manually backup or migrate an Emby Server installation.

Locate Emby's program data folder

Open the server dashboard and expand the System Paths section. Locate the program data folder by referring to the outline in this screenshot.

TBMi6247Y_WT09-S83LHvVKZ5oc6kkiDug.png?1

From now on this guide will refer to this path as /ProgramData.

Review Paths on the Old Setup

Take a look at the configuration on your old server instance. Review any paths you've configured into the server such as cache folders, channel download folders, transcoding folders, as well as any paths configured within plugins. The new server will need to be able to reach these paths, and generally will require write access. If this isn't the case, then various components of the new server may have problems. If you're in doubt, revert these settings to their defaults before proceeding.

Backup Files

Shutdown the old server instance and backup the following files and directories:

• /ProgramData/config
  • /ProgramData/plugins
  • /ProgramData/data/collections
  • /ProgramData/data/playlists
  • /ProgramData/data/displaypreferences.db/ProgramData/data/userdata_v2.db (if present)
  • /ProgramData/data/users.db
  • /ProgramData/data/library.db

Note: Unless you use a custom Metadata path you will want to backup your /ProgramData/metadata folder to preserve your People images. The only two folder in metadata you don't need are library and views.

Install Emby Server on the new machine

Install Emby on the new machine as you normally would. When the startup wizard launches in the browser, do not complete it and instead shut down the server.

Now take all of the files you backed up from the old server and copy them into the equivalent locations on the new server.

Then launch the new server, sign into the dashboard and setup your library paths. Allow the scan to complete as normal.

After the Scan

If your library was configured with identical paths as the old setup then user data will generally be preserved as well as user library permissions. You may still want to review the library access for each user to ensure their channel and folder access is restricted as 

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, teicang said:

to not loose all my collection, adjusted cover and so on.

Well collections are made from item metadata so they will not be lost unless you don't write nfo files.  Copying the Collections folder is somewhat useless as they are not linked to anything in a new database.  But the artwork would/should be reused once name is linked again.  No idea what you mean by adjusted covers and so on.

So you would manually have to copy /metadata/collections and manually restore to same location.

teicang
14 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

No idea what you mean by adjusted cover and so on.

I mean the immage of the movies I adjust and load in case the automatic search put a wrong one. Do you think I can backup in some way ? Last time I loose all of them and after the scan I had to fix it again 🙂

thx

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, teicang said:

I mean the immage of the movies I adjust and load in case the automatic search put a wrong one. Do you think I can backup in some way ? Last time I loose all of them and after the scan I had to fix it again 🙂

thx

If you do not save with media then you need you current install to have any saved centralized images.  So you need to backup your entire data folder (same as Programdata shown in KB).  You can find your data path in the top section of your log.

All centralized images require the same database they are linked in.