Plex Migration

thunderclap

thunderclap

I can't speak for everyone, but a major factor I'm wrestling with in moving to Emby is the migration of my dozen or so family and friends. Asking everyone to download a new app, create and link new accounts, etc. is asking a lot, especially since their watch history and whatnot is lost. Not to mention the amount of work I have to do as an administrator to fix cover art, re-create collections, create new accounts for people, etc. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I think if Emby wants to help make the decision to move from Plex easier there has to be a way to remove as many hurtles as possible. I realize there is only so much this feature could do, but if as many of the important items could be moved over, I think more people would be willing to move to Emby.

Hi, there have been some community tools that have popped up over the year, but nothing official from us.

thunderclap
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, there have been some community tools that have popped up over the year, but nothing official from us.

Which is why I thought it would be a nice for a future feature. :) 

During setup: Would you like to migrate your Plex data, art, and user to Emby? Y/N

If I could get my server (and users) up and running as quickly as possible it would remove what is probably one of the top hurtles for people.

MBSki

@mbuhmann For watched status you could use trakt.tv and sync trakt with Plex before migrating. You'd need a trakt account of course, which is annoying, but it would at least carry all the watched status over to Emby.

arrbee99

Does sound like a good idea for a feature request, but I would suggest that it also might help if you do things gradually ? You can apparently run Plex and Emby side by side successfully (though I've never tried it), so that would give you time to set things up. You can add users slower instead of having 12 users switch (almost) overnight. Also Emby does its own collections, which work fine for me, though I'm not into adding my own except for a select few. I figure I don't need say a Harrison Ford Collection, I just go to one of hos films, click on his actor image, and it'll show the rest.

• Like 1

thunderclap
37 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

@mbuhmann For watched status you could use trakt.tv and sync trakt with Plex before migrating. You'd need a trakt account of course, which is annoying, but it would at least carry all the watched status over to Emby.

I’ve seen that recommendation before but, again, trying to make it as simple as possible, especially for my family and friends. 

Hi.  This isn't a terrible idea but I would suspect it could be difficult to maintain.  We would probably have to spend a lot of time keeping it up to date.  Given that, we'd probably prefer to spend that time on true features for Emby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper

I remember a topic regarding a community-developed script for Plex>Emby watched-status migration, gimme a minute to find it. 

Edit: Here. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1