Cast 4K to chromecast Ultra causes transcodung

Bobby121418

Bobby121418

Hi,

Casting 4K movies through Emby app on Android mobile to a Chromecast Ultra device causes transcoding. The same video files work well without transcoding on the mobile app itself.

As per https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media I understand Chromecast Ultra is enabled for :

• HEVC / H.265 Main and Main10 Profiles up to level 5.1 (4K/60fps)

So my question is why is transcoding taking place and can it be avoided?

Thanks

Bobby121418

Hi there

I realized that the chromecast is not doing 4K because I had a non standard power supply. So, please ignore this thread.

Thanks

Bobby121418

Hi,

Just going back to this again.

I seem to be again experiencing 4K transcoding even though now I have a standard power supply connected to the Chromecast Ultra.

I am no longer seeing the message about non standard power supply or limitation to 4K playback. So, my question is why is transcoding taking place because as mentioned before the device should handle the 4K format.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

Hi,

Just going back to this again.

I seem to be again experiencing 4K transcoding even though now I have a standard power supply connected to the Chromecast Ultra.

I am no longer seeing the message about non standard power supply or limitation to 4K playback. So, my question is why is transcoding taking place because as mentioned before the device should handle the 4K format.

Thanks

Hi @Bobby121418 did you check your server dashboard during playback to learn why it was transcoding?

28 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

Hi Luke,

Yes, it says media bitrate exceeds limit, but I do not see where the limit can be changed.

Thanks

HI, try the Chromecast quality setting in the app that you're casting from.

Bobby121418

In the Emby app while casting I am not seeing any quality settings. Maybe I am not seeing it but can you please tell me where the setting is?

Thanks