App Crashing on playing 4k video more details in post

DarKni8
Go to solution Solved by DarKni8,

DarKni8

@LukeDo you think video level 52 might me the problem? As the same file wont work on chrome,android but will work on firefox and emby theatre. Sorry for all my questions , i want to understand 

was going through this thread and saw some other thread also. Also i am using s21 plus, which is not that old of a device which can't support this.

Edit - i confirm i am not able to play any level 52 video.

Edited by DarKni8

DarKni8
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

It could be, yes. So your phone doesn't support that?

I dont want to compare man but just for information , Plex plays it , VLC etc can play the same file.

1 hour ago, DarKni8 said:

Maybe emby devs need something like this in settings. This is from plex

Screenshot_20220223-214104_Plex.jpg

Yes that would be a good idea, I agree.

DarKni8
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes that would be a good idea, I agree.

I know it will take time / years, can there be workaround for this in next update?

Happy2Play

What would that setting be for?  As the server already gets the client's max level.

Roku

&h264-level=51

Emby Web 4.6.7.39

&h264-level=52

Don't see how they can recommend 6.0 as the majority of clients don't support it.

DarKni8

What if its placebo and it somehow tricks in playing file directly. Also i am sure my device can handle these files. So why the limit is being set in first place.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, DarKni8 said:

What if its placebo and it somehow tricks in playing file directly. Also i am sure my device can handle these files. So why the limit is being set in first place.

Maybe at a lower level as 6.0 would force transcoding of everything as it is not support in any clients that I currently own.  But I would assume playback issues trying to fake settings like this.

Every video player has standard limitations.

Edited by Happy2Play

DarKni8
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Maybe at a lower level as 6.0 would force transcoding of everything as it is not support in any clients that I currently own.  But I would assume playback issues trying to fake settings like this.

Every video player has standard limitations.

I am no expert here but i thought thats the difference between plex and emby and maybe thats the reason i am able to play it on plex, normal or transcoding but i am not able to play it on emby anyway. I just want emby to be better as it cater more to personal media center requirements but i get this kind of issues here and there daily. Sometimes 4k going all funky, sometimes subtitles not working ,some ipad glitches, 4k HDR is non playable on my ipad air 4. At present when i use emby it feels compromised everywhere. I am understanding emby's dilemma where plex is way ahead of game and at the same time competing with jellyfin which does all the things (almost) which emby does for free and is open source with lots of plugin development. I wish emby best maybe these kinds of bugs go soon as 4k, 4k HDR and 4k HDR HEVC is gonna give lots of trouble.

Happy2Play

To me this sounds like all the issue with Apple as they want thinks differently than all other clients.  But not an Apple users and can say all my media plays on all my client so I can say the other guys can't touch Emby.

Personally, 4K never leaves my LAN as my ISP traffic shaping will kill it anyways forcing transcoding not that would be issue as the HWA Tone mapping would pick up the slack.  The majority of 4K media to high of bitrate to be streamed across the internet.

But all media and individual setups are different and have different requirement.

Edited by Happy2Play

Merging topics so that we can keep all relevant info in one place. Thanks !

DarKni8
24 minutes ago, Luke said:

Merging topics so that we can keep all relevant info in one place. Thanks !

Thanks luke , i thought u ignored this , good to know u r looking into it

DarKni8

Then why does the same file work on web app on firefox? Why does the same file work on emby theatre? 

Issue is not the file here good sir, its in how emby is handling it! Maybe this is an exception which was overlooked till now, i am not understanding why there is no closure from emby team till now

2 hours ago, DarKni8 said:

Then why does the same file work on web app on firefox? Why does the same file work on emby theatre? 

Issue is not the file here good sir, its in how emby is handling it! Maybe this is an exception which was overlooked till now, i am not understanding why there is no closure from emby team till now

They're forcing server transcoding while the android app is trying to direct play, that's the difference.

DarKni8
56 minutes ago, Luke said:

They're forcing server transcoding while the android app is trying to direct play, that's the difference.

Luke , u r master. Please make something happen. There must br try and catch statement for such scenario

Happy2Play
On 3/9/2022 at 4:04 AM, DarKni8 said:

So now i disabled transcoding for the user and tried to direct play , then also not able to play this. These logs are from latest beta @Luke, @ebr any help i can get on this issue? Lol tagging @chef and @rbjtech too, u guys pro

embyserver.txt 177.5 kB · 1 download ffmpeg-transcode-bbf5b41f-80fe-4e65-b728-da5cbcd51ba8_1.txt 16.98 kB · 3 downloads

If disabling transcoding for the user on the server and it will not play means the client is unable to play that level.  You will get different results across the board as ever player will have different capabilities.

So Android may not be capable

&h264-level=51&TranscodeReasons=VideoLevelNotSupported

>>>>>>  User policy for DarKni8
        Enable Playback Remuxing: True
        Enable Video Playback Transcoding: True
        Enable Audio Playback Transcoding: True

where FireFox is

&h264-level=52&TranscodeReasons=ContainerNotSupported

>>>>>>  User policy for DarKni8
        Enable Playback Remuxing: True
        Enable Video Playback Transcoding: False
        Enable Audio Playback Transcoding: True

Note just because it says transcodereason does not mean it is transcoding, the FireFox example is directstreaming/remuxing.

DarKni8

So, the solution i guess is providing an option to end user to set/change highest level it can play, just like plex does and override it. 

And as i have said this same file direct plays on emby Linux server 4.6.7.0 but doesn't direct play on Windows Server latest beta.

I understand its client dependent, but why bother if direct play is enabled?

I mean this can be very nice addition to emby and i think why not, if it lets you surpass the limits. The encoding on internet is all over the place sometimes the video which is just within device capability won't play because of wrong parameters in the video, why the end user should suffer because of that ? 

Also i feel if someone has disabled the transcoding , why not just serve the media as it is??WHy to even look further for bitrate and video level support its just BS which can be bypassed and @Lukeknows this, i am seeing thread from 2018 where luke has acknowledged it that plex is overriding max video level support. Hardware is capable enough in today to play anything. @Happy2Play, @LukePlease do something about it in next stable.

Edited by DarKni8