transcoding vs. direct play?

Florian2000

Florian2000

Hi,

I noticed that the playback between the clients (Web vs. Fire TV AndroidTV) shows significant differences in quality.

grafik.thumb.png.cd6ae7fdcf3a65ccdf40cd57f253b809.png

And here you see the difference in the quality of the same video file:

Web with Transcoding:

grafik.thumb.png.6f39e2f4f0b029d87f21d2d0aa1c2de6.png

Android without Transcoding:

grafik.thumb.png.dc14eeb2d6a453e2037b34f1ce9df3b6.png

So the quality is pretty terrible. Any idea why the same video file is working just fine with the Web-Client and Transcoding and the direct play with AndroidTV is just poor?

The videofiles are ripped from the dvd and with makemkv converted into mkv files. This worked just fine and other video files DVD rip of some James Bond titles also just work fine...it's basically the same situation Web-Client is transcoding and AndroidTV is direct playing. So I would assume that it is not the root cause because than every media file would be that bad on AndroidTV...
This is now the first file where I discovered the huge quality differences. 

So I am wondering what causes this?

Br, Florian

Hi.  I'm going to guess they are 480i sources.  Try turning on the setting to de-interlace on the server in the Android TV app.

Florian2000
24 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I'm going to guess they are 480i sources.  Try turning on the setting to de-interlace on the server in the Android TV app.

it is this format 720x576 Pixel (so it is lame standard dvd quality):

grafik.thumb.png.ed313f20a6a76c6d932e62f8128c6c6d.png

I just observed that the effect is not during the whole playback of the video file it starts at about 3:50 and than it is poor with massive pixel-artefacts.
I tried your settings proposal no effect.
I basically thought this setting will force the transcoding but when I play the file it is playing direct. So my question would be is it possible to force transcoding? So I can see if there is a difference then.

Br, Florian

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Florian2000 said:

So my question would be is it possible to force transcoding?

During playback, select "Playback correction" twice (OSD cog icon), first one will cause Remux, second time will cause Transcoding. 

Florian2000
10 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

During playback, select "Playback correction" twice (OSD cog icon), first one will cause Remux, second time will cause Transcoding. 

yes, when I selected the playback correction during I played the videofile via OSD it was suddenly as expected. So it seems the quality has something to do with the transcoding.grafik.png.7ed1e2414306c1799ea2f4e74beae125.png

But how can I force transcoding permantly by those videofiles? because this behavor is only by this DVD...

Florian2000

but it is weird even if it is transcoding after a while the pixel effect is coming back on AndroidTV... 🤔
and if I press again the OSD cog icon and select playback correction --> video is fine audio is gone <-- ?

Edited by Florian2000

It sounds like the device is able to play it directly, just not very well, and when you transcode it, the server converts to h264 which the device does handle very well.

Florian2000
7 hours ago, Luke said:

It sounds like the device is able to play it directly, just not very well, and when you transcode it, the server converts to h264 which the device does handle very well.

but even when transcoding...after a while the pixel effect is coming back. which logs are needed for analyzing this in more detail?
btw: when will the anonymize function of the logs be available in a release?

is there another way to force transcoding on a file basis?

is there another way to force transcoding on a file basis?

Not currently no, but it's possible for the future. Thanks.