Music playback issues

swandruski

swandruski

I just sent a log that might be related to this issue. I had upgraded my nVidia Shiled to Android 11 Not sure if this caused the problem, but the otehr day, I tried to play some albums I had ripped and uploaded to my WD NAS. Only certain albums uploaded seemed to be affected. I just installed the Emby 2.0.64 beta to see if that fixed it and it is still happening. The files I tried to play just before sending the log were Larry Coryell - The Restful Place and Oregon - Friends. When I navigate to those albums (and a handful of others) and press play, nothing happens. If I go to one of the tracks, the track will play but the screen is blank. These files play find on the web version and Emby Theater. They aslo play fine with other programs and I can find nothing wrong with the files themselves.

Thanks.

Hi.  I don't see any errors or playback attempts in your log.  Exactly what did you do during that session?

swandruski

I navigated to the album and pressed the "paly" button. With most stuff, that starts to play the album, but with these (and some others), it does nothing. If I navigate down to the first track of the album and hit "play", the track will play, but the screen goes blank.

16 minutes ago, swandruski said:

the track will play, but the screen goes blank

Is it playing in the video player?  What happens if you press the "down" button while it is playing?

Has your library been switch to mixed content type perhaps?

swandruski

Content type is "Music". That hasn't changed. This library has existed for a long time. It has three folders. One with the bulk of my music, and separate ones for multi-channel music and SACD dsf files. They're all on a WD NAS box where the Emby server is also running.

I went to a track and pressed play. The screen went black. I then pressed the down arrow like you suggested and got a progress bar and a small version of the album art work next to it and the back, pause and forward buttons below the progress bar.

I'm still confused about why this is only happening with certain albums. I don't see any obvious issues with the tagging. The ones that have this problem are all FLAC, but so are others that work fine.

1 hour ago, swandruski said:

The standard android app works fine. It plays the troublesome tracks with no issues.

Thanks, that's very helpful. The TV app will ultimately get the same updates.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:18 PM, Luke said:

Thanks, that's very helpful. The TV app will ultimately get the same updates.

Not to nitpik or butt in but @Luke if it is a music file shouldn't the audio/music player be playing the file and not the video player? Why is the video player being invoked on a music only file? Just curious.

11 minutes ago, EZEd said:

Not to nitpik or butt in but @Luke if it is a music file shouldn't the audio/music player be playing the file and not the video player? Why is the video player being invoked on a music only file? Just curious.

Because something has changed that is fooling the app into thinking it isn't music.

1 hour ago, EZEd said:

Does the same happen with our standard android app on the same device?

Also just curious to know, OP mentions that it only happens with FLAC files? And in this case the files are being interpreted as video. How does Emby handle multichannel audio only files? Does it use the audio player or video player? Just wondering.

swandruski

My multi-channel audio files all play fine and appear to be using the audio player - the playback looks like any other audio file. They are also FLAC ripped with DVD Audio Extractor. Note that some FLAC files are playing fine. Others are not. 

• 3 weeks later...
swandruski

Just a quick update. I upgraded my Shield to 9.0.1 and the playback problem with certain files remained. Then I noticed there was a newer beta version of Emby (Android TV). I upgraded Emby to 2.0.67. The problem remains.

swandruski

Sorry I just saw this. Here's a screenshot. When I hit play the screen goes black for a few seconds with the blue circle "progress" indicator and then comes back to this.Emby_20220223_135238.thumb.png.1a0726e9d973a8d7f6b3d102407e2955.png

swandruski

Clicked on my Music library, then went to album artists and navigated to Larry Coryell. Then went to the album The Restful Mind and clicked Play All. Here's a screenshot of that same album playing in the browser version of Emby.

image.png.c9cbbc02f10be361045e9914e850dfe6.png

Okay, that "Disc 0" display is interesting.  Do all of the albums with this problem have a display like that?

Does this album actually have multiple discs?  If so, what do the others look like (if you scroll down in the track list)?

swandruski

This album is a single disc. That disc 0 seems to be a quirk with the program I use for ripping and tagging. It appears that all the albums with this problem do have that "disc 0", but I think I've seen albums tagged that way that play fine. Anyway, I went in and made sure that tracks on that album were tagged as "disc 1 of 1" and that seems to have fixed it. That Larry Coryell album plays fine. Now I'll go in and check the other problematic albums.

Thanks for asking that. Like I said, I thought there were albums that showed as "disc 0" but played fine, but now I'll go in and check that if I see problems with playback.