emby APP on my Firestick stream personal video upside down or sideways

synologyluap

synologyluap

I have emby APP installed on my Synology NAS. If I use my Roku Ultra (also using emby APP) to stream personal videos from my Synology server, everything is working good. If I use my Amazon FireStick (with emby APP), a lot of my videos are upside down or sideways.

Videos were recorded using my iPhone.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
synologyluap

If I can add, I am currently streaming from Roku but my goal is to migrate to my Fire TV. I'm ok to buy emby Premiere but just want to be sure it will work correctly.

Thanks!

Hi.  Can you test it on the Fire TV to see if it has the same problem?  I'm guessing it will be okay there.  We have very little control on Roku playback presentation unfortunately but, if you use the "Playback Correction" option on the cog menu during playback, does it correct it?

synologyluap

Just bought Premiere for a month to test with Fire TV and I am having the same issue. I am able to use playback correction to put it to the right side but video is lagging every couple of seconds.

16 hours ago, synologyluap said:

but video is lagging every couple of seconds.

Can we please see the ffmpeg log that was created?

synologyluap

Hi to both of you, to put the video on the right side, I needed to execute the "playback correction" 2 times so :
First time, it gave me this: 1-ffmpeg-directstream-f819555d-03f3-45d4-81bf-c15ea7edb473_1

Second time (the one that image is ok), it gave me this: 2-ffmpeg-transcode-4d3277ab-f7ce-448c-bafe-aee4701e4a11_1

2-ffmpeg-transcode-4d3277ab-f7ce-448c-bafe-aee4701e4a11_1.txt1-ffmpeg-directstream-f819555d-03f3-45d4-81bf-c15ea7edb473_1.txt

Thanks again for your support, it is greatly appreciated.

Hi.  Yes it looks like transcoding is required to re-orient the video properly but your server is not powerful enough to do that conversion and provide smooth playback.  You may be able to use our convert feature to correct the orientation and make a file that is directly playable.

synologyluap

Hi ebr, indeed looks like my Synology CPU is going up to 98%.

I don't mind converting them before (what I've just did for testing purposes) but I am still having the same issue.

Is there a way to know what settings it took when doing the "playback correction" to make?

I did some test by converting to (Mobile, TV & Custom) but video is always playing on the side?

Is there a way to specify to rotate video when converting?

Thanks

*update: If I can add, when I am viewing video from my server directly (through the browser), it is playing perfectly. Issue is only from Fire TV (and roku).

Edited by synologyluap

We can look at supporting the rotation directly in the Fire TV app. Roku is a different story though and will require conversion using the server.

I did some test by converting to (Mobile, TV & Custom) but video is always playing on the side?

Are you sure you played the converted version and not the original? Can we please look at an example? Thanks.

synologyluap

100% positive 🙂

"IMG_0048 - tv" is the output of the video that was converted from. (original file is: IMG_0048)

Same issue.

2.jpg

3.jpg

synologyluap

Don't know if it can help but to try to understand, I am also doing test with PLEX.

Results:
Emby using FireTV = Not working
Emby using Roku = Not working

Plex using FireTV = Not working
Plex using Roku = Working

Again, my goal is:
1: To use FireTV instead of Roku
2: To use Emby instead of PLEX.

Really like everything you can customize with Emby and also like the interface better.

If there is a solution or workaround, that would be great.

Thanks again!

synologyluap

That's the issue.

When it is transcoded with PLEX, it is oriented properly but when transcoded with Emby, it is still oriented on the wrong way.

2 hours ago, synologyluap said:

That's the issue.

When it is transcoded with PLEX, it is oriented properly but when transcoded with Emby, it is still oriented on the wrong way.

Hi.  You reported earlier that it was correct when we transcoded it:

On 2/15/2022 at 9:17 AM, synologyluap said:

to put the video on the right side, I needed to execute the "playback correction" 2 times so :
First time, it gave me this: 1-ffmpeg-directstream-f819555d-03f3-45d4-81bf-c15ea7edb473_1

Second time (the one that image is ok), it gave me this: 2-ffmpeg-transcode-4d3277ab-f7ce-448c-bafe-aee4701e4a11_1

synologyluap

Sorry about this confusion... 

If I can do a quick recap, the only way for me to watch these videos on the right side is to execute the "playback correction" 2 times.

Issue with that is that it is lagging (CPU 98%).

To remediate this issue, I tried to transcode prior with Emby but when trying to view the video after it has been transcoded, it is still not playing on the right side.

11 hours ago, synologyluap said:

To remediate this issue, I tried to transcode prior with Emby but when trying to view the video after it has been transcoded, it is still not playing on the right side.

Hi.  You actually used our "Convert" feature which is a bit different from transcoding during playback.

I think the issue boils down to:

1) the only way the orientation is properly observed on Roku/Android is if the item is transcoded

2) our convert function is also not re-orienting the video like the on the fly transcode does.

So we need a way for the apps to know that these items need to be transcoded and we should look into having our convert feature re-orient the target video.