Selecting Root folders

GiGo

I was wondering if there is a way of 'correcting' emby as to which the root folder a series goes into?

I have started to off load some content onto the cloud and also have a collection on the cloud, sometimes I want collection locally and on the cloud, however I have found that if the Series exsits on the Cloud Auto Organize defaults to Cloud and not my local storage.

My cloud location is setup using Rclone so looks like a phyical folder on my NAS, but I has hoping there is a way of the being able to select the root folder when an exisiting item exsits.

So my library setup is;
online-drives\TV\Series folders
TV\Series folders

Is there a way of telling emby to use a just one root folder as 'default'?

Hi, I don't quite understand what you mean? There isn't really a default. What do you mean by that?

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, I don't quite understand what you mean? There isn't really a default. What do you mean by that?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

So say I have the show "Ted Lasso". I have this show stored on my online drive

\online-drives\TV\Ted Lasso (2020)
\online-drives\TV\Ted Lasso (2020)\Season1
\online-drives\TV\Ted Lasso (2020)\Season2

So say the new season airs and I download this locally on to my NAS I would like it stored in;

\TV\Ted Lasso (2020)\Season3

However as the show is stored on my 'online-drive', as new episodes air/downloads Auto Organize will pick up on the location of being \online-drives\TV\Ted Lasso (2020), however I would prefer to store this show until I watch it on my NAS locally, then at some point I'll upload it manually to the cloud. 

Hope this is clearer?

6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. So this would be a feature request for the Auto Organize plug-in?

Not really, I would have thought if you have multiple folders or multiple hard drives, at some point something might be filled up and some series may need to be stored on another drive so therefore you should be able to select the root folder.  So it's more of a feature request for Emby as a whole IMO. However I would have thought this functionalty should be native to Emby, being able to select where an item goes if there are multiple possible outputs for a show it should prompt you as to where you want it to go.

Would it be Auto Organize that sorts out the database or Emby? I know @chef has done some modifications to the Auto Organize plugin and has made so SO much better than the previous one.

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, GiGo said:

Not really, I would have thought if you have multiple folders or multiple hard drives, at some point something might be filled up and some series may need to be stored on another drive so therefore you should be able to select the root folder.  So it's more of a feature request for Emby as a whole IMO. However I would have thought this functionalty should be native to Emby, being able to select where an item goes if there are multiple possible outputs for a show it should prompt you as to where you want it to go.

Would it be Auto Organize that sorts out the database or Emby? I know @chef has done some modifications to the Auto Organize plugin and has made so SO much better than the previous one.

Your perception is wrong. Emby does not manipulate your media or decide where something will go, it is all done via Auto Organize plugin - if one opts to have that plugin installed in the first place. This is strictly plugin feature request. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GiGo said:

Hi!  yeah, auto organize would be responsible for this.

Currently, we can tell auto organize where we want to create new series, but it will try to sort new items into their respective library folder. 

What is interesting here is (and what the code currently doesn't cover), series can span over multiple folders.

We could use smart lists (somehow), to create rules around how auto organize  handles episodes of a specific season. 

Infact, I bet this is exactly what we'd have to do, create smart list sorting rules for more then just guessing the naming of the file, but also the path to sort a file based on its lookup data result.

I don't know how hard it would be.

We should absolutely try it! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chef said:

Hi!  yeah, auto organize would be responsible for this.

Currently, we can tell auto organize where we want to create new series, but it will try to sort new items into their respective library folder. 

What is interesting here is (and what the code currently doesn't cover), series can span over multiple folders.

We could use smart lists (somehow), to create rules around how auto organize  handles episodes of a specific season. 

Infact, I bet this is exactly what we'd have to do, create smart list sorting rules for more then just guessing the naming of the file, but also the path to sort a file based on its lookup data result.

I don't know how hard it would be.

We should absolutely try it! 

I will be more than happy to test it out whenever you get chance to build it :) would be great to get this type of functionality

I've tried a couple things, but I think that inorder to do this, we are going to halt sorting of the file(s) when these conditions are met.

1. The episode file(s) belongs to a series that spans multiple folders paths

2. The episode file(s) belong to a new season, that doesn't exist yet in the Emby library.

3. There is no smart match rule that handles the naming structure (and now paths) attached to the episode file(s). 

The table will show the "Identify" button, where you can choose the series it belongs to, but also the path to sort the item.

Then, you will be able to check the "Remember this correction" checkbox, which will place the item in the smart match list, along with the path to sort items like it in the future. 

There is more to this, I'm sure. I don't know what it is yet. I'll test a bunch of things to see what happens. 🤔

Edited by chef

These certainly do sound like what I need 👌 please do let me know when you have something sorted and I'll take a look and test.