Severe Problems Playing, with an External Player

Fabian2101

Fabian2101

Hello, I want to warn you, and request a quick solution, when I use the Android TV client application configured to use an external player, I always have the serious problem that when I stop playback in the middle of a movie, or in the middle of the episode , when I resume playback, it always erroneously starts from scratch again and never resumes from the exact minute and second that the stop position was marked. Besides, many times the movie is mistakenly marked as fully played until the end, when in fact I had stopped the playback in the middle of the movie. I also have the error that at the moment there is a current playback, in the control panel of my Emby 4.6.7.0 server for Windows operating system, in the control panel I can see the current playback in the client for Android TV with an external player, but in the control panel of the server it never shows the exact minute and second of the current playback, it counts only a few seconds and jumps back to zero, but the playback can actually go to half or close to movie's ending.

All these problems happen only when I use an external player. With the internal player of the Android TV client application there is not problem.

But unfortunately I find myself more and more forced to use the external player MX (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive) since its powerful video decoder is configured in the HW+ configuration, it is the only player application that makes absolutely all the movies , all the series, and all the videos all play smoothly without jerks or jumps in the image, on my Philips 55OLED873 television with Android TV operating system. I would like to use the internal and native player of the Emby client application, but I have the serious problem that on my Philips 55OLED873 television, more than 70% of the movies and series have the problem of reproducing the image with constant jerks and jumps in the picture.

But luckily there is the MX playback application (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive) that, with its powerful HW+ decoder, forces my TV to play absolutely all the videos without jerks or jumps in the image.

For this reason, I request if you could solve the problem so that when I play with the external player MX (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive) always after stopping the pre-production in the middle of the movies, it resumes playback from the minute and exact second that it had stopped. Another solution that I would much like is if it were possible for you guys to add the MX Player (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive) as a well-optimized alternative internal player within the Emby Android TV client app, so you can add a settings option where I can pick and choose MX (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive) and dismiss ExoPlayer.

If you please solve this problem, please let me know that future versions of the Emby client application for Android TV, and in the future version of the server for Windows operating system, all the problems and errors that I report to you will be solved.

Greeting.

Fabian2101
5 hours ago, ebr said:
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Resume is not supported when using an external player.

But what bad luck and misfortune for me, I will always be forced to memorize the exact minute and second at each stop in each reproduction. This problem makes me very sad. I am forced to choose between two problems, to watch almost all movies, and the episodes in jumps and jerks to have a function to resume from the stop point, or to see the image smoothly without resume functionality. My recommendation is Do not buy televisions from the manufacturer Philips, very bad and terrible processing in the movements of the images.

Edited by Fabian2101
added of my opinion

Fabian2101
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Regarding our internal player, can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device, and let us know if this gives you a better experience so that you don't need to use external players?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Does this standard Android app respond to my Android TV's remote control, or will I need to use my USB mouse or keyboard to simulate touchscreen touches with a pointer?
What if it did work, would it support HDR quality playback on my TV?

I'm going to try it anyway, I won't lose anything by trying it. If I manage to solve the problem of jumps and jerks in the image, I will be willing to handle the app with a pointer. Later I will tell you how my test went.

Thanks.

Edited by Fabian2101

Fabian2101
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It does support your remote control, yes. Thanks.

I've already been testing, and if the standard Android app supports the remote control of my TV.
But unfortunately it has the same problem, the playback of many movies and many episodes makes constant jumps and jerks in the image, perhaps even worse than with the Emby application for Android TV.

My only solution on my television is to use an external MX player (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive), which when the decoder is configured in the HW+ option is incredible how it solves and forces my television to play absolutely all the movies smoothly , no jerks and no jumps in the image.

What fixes the whole problem is the HW+ configuration of the MX player (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive). Could you guys add a completely identical HW+ decoder to the MX one in the internal player of the Emby app for Android TV?

Thank you.

Edited by Fabian2101

Fabian2101
On 1/21/2022 at 1:41 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Are you using PGS subtitles in all these instances by any chance?

Sorry for the delay in responding but yesterday I was busy with the preparations and celebration of my birthday. The use of subtitles in PGS or any other format has absolutely nothing to do with this problem. Besides, I always only use the forced subtitles in mostly SRT format, very rarely in PGS. But the problem still happens with MKV files that do not contain any subtitle tracks, since I see everything in audio dubbed into Spanish. Now I am remembering that the BDremux MKV 4k HDR10+ of the “Back To The Future” trilogy and that they only have subtitle tracks in PGS format do not give any problem of jumps or jerks in the image.

The internal player of the Emby client app for Android TV is not the player that works the worst on my TV, I don't even install the Kodi player directly on my TV because it works even worse, many movies that work well with Emby, smooth, without any Jerks and without any jumps in the image, with Kodi if they do jerks and jumps in the image, it even seems to me that it makes small jumps even when I am going through the entire Kodi configuration menu. Players like VLC, Nova, Vimu Media Player for TV, Sun Placer, nPlayer and several others also work very poorly.

The only player that works excellently well is the MX (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive), which I luckily discovered after testing loads of players for many months, as long as or if the video decoder is configured in the HW+ option. You who are a developer and programmer should know why MX (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive) configured in HW+ is the only player that works excellently well.

The other player that makes my TV work very well, smooth playback without jerks and without jumps in the image, is the internal player of the client application of the main and well-known competitor of Emby. But the well-known competitor of Emby never managed to be to my liking, also many times I found totally wrong information in the metadata, the appearance of skin is not pleasant, I prefer Emby.

They would need to add an HW+ video decoder in the Emby Android TV app, identical to the MX Player (MX Media - formerly J2 Interactive).

Thank you.
Greeting.