NVIDIA 750 ti - Emby not able to offload transcoding to HW

LeTiver

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and Emby.  Here the gist of a question/problem that I have not been able to resolve:

Environment:

Host

Ubuntu Server (18.04) 
QEMU/KVM configuration
50TB (3 ZFS Pools) | Multiple VMs
Passthrough NVIDIA 750ti to VM (Guest A)

Guest A Ubuntu 20.04
 - Passthrough NVIDIA 750ti (nvidia-smi -> OK)
 - Docker 
Docker  Emby Server

Questions:

Although I have spent a good 2 days configuring things, reading posts, articles -- etc.  I have not been able to find clear answers to the following basic questions.  I kindly ask for your insight and/or specific links with specific answers to these questions:

Some logs attached (Playing a movie I encoded to mpeg2 to ensure 750ti supports it. -- Log #2)

1. hardware_detection
    2. Mpeg2 Movie: ffmpeg-transcode-7a1f
    3. HVEC LDMovie:ffmpeg-transcode-LDMOVIE_4k 

In short:

• Is emby not using HW to transcode content because of configuration or GPU capability issues?

Other questions:

1. How do I know when/if emby is leveraging the video card for transcoding?
    The log is confusing to me (just learning about all this).  Some sections show UseHWcodecs=true -> Then it uses a SW encoder

>>>>>>  FindVideoEncoder - Media: h264, UseHardwareCodecs: True, Mode: Custom
    Info    Checking: 'libx264 Software Encoder'
   Info    Check successful - selecting 'libx264 Software Encoder'

2. It appears emby recognized that HW is available/capable but then it is not used (lack of HW codecs)?

3. How do I know what is SW vs HW in the following lines?
16:51:30.397 Stream mapping:
16:51:30.397   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (mpeg2video (native) -> h264 (libx264))
16:51:30.397   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)

I truly appreciate your help,

hardware_detection-63777948584.txt ffmpeg-transcode-7a1f26b1-5881-4197-9360-8e3cca20a4f5_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-LDMOVIE_4k_a18a5662-fe1b-4052-88ef-216c28ab7742_1.txt

Edited by LeTiver

I see.  No, I don't have a Premiere subscription.   Thanks for the quick response, let me see if I can sort that out.

3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

@LeTiver - do you have an active Emby Premiere subscription? hw acceleration doesn't work without it.

No, I don't.  I will look into it.

We should really display a message about this in the config UI, to avoid letting users work with the configuration and wondering why it doesn't work.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, softworkz said:

We should really display a message about this in the config UI, to avoid letting users work with the configuration and wondering why it doesn't work.

The page does have this.

image.png.71ca74e554af877949f048f56d6d5387.png

But may need a bigger note and color or a different position.

image.png.627268bea6c8b92c2eb4d289a811e30d.png

16 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Frankly, it is a must.  Also, although the logs are helpful, it takes time for someone new to understand what is relevant.  either a one pager explaining how to read the logs or adjusting logging entries.  I would have rather spend more time on other areas I am working on instead of guessing on matrix configurations...

Edited by LeTiver

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The page does have this.

Yes, but it's static and never changes.

No, I think it should not even allow you to save a configuration with hwa when you don't have Premiere.

(or show a warning message on save at least)

3 minutes ago, LeTiver said:

Frankly, it is a must.  Also, although the logs are helpful, it takes time for someone new to understand what is relevant.  either a one pager explaining how to read the logs or adjusting logging entries.  I would have rather spend more time on other areas I am working on instead on guessing sometimes...

We have added appropriate log output for this a while ago, so the beta has it meanwhile....

• Like 1

The page does have this.

This might be just my perspective, but it seems a 'small print attempt' for something quite important.  I suggest adding that line at the very top, no need of a red disclaimer but merely a good attempt to pinpoint a basic check.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Yes, but it's static and never changes.

No, I think it should not even allow you to save a configuration with hwa when you don't have Premiere.

(or show a warning message on save at least)

True since the server knows one's status it should not be that hard to enable/disable or hide options per server status.

image.png.ea4128c8710a42a976d984fa9123f5e0.png

Happy2Play
20 minutes ago, softworkz said:

We have added appropriate log output for this a while ago, so the beta has it meanwhile....

Thought this was logged but appears to only be in 4.7

Warning: Hardware acceleration is not available as it requires a valid Premiere Subscription

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play
Just now, softworkz said:

Yes, it's in the beta since October 21

True our longest split release beta cycle as some when into 4.6.7.0 and some did not.