Photos Organized by Tags

sundevil67

sundevil67

I've been using Emby to share photo libraries with a handful of family & friends, and up to now I've had it organized by family or couple. There's a lot of overlap, so this method requires storing a ton of duplicates. This method isn't working for me anymore for reasons outside the scope of this issue, but I am trying to figure out if it's possible to do this more efficiently with tags. If it requires the user to mess with filters & settings, it'll never work. Is there a way to set up a library so that the "list" view by tag & have filtered names selected by default? I tried setting up certain tags as "favorites", but that doesn't really do it. So far I'm thinking there's no way to do this other than duplicating the photos the way I do now. Maybe there's a plugin someplace in the works that might get it closer?

I haven't messed with photos in Emby in quite a while, so my first inclination was to pull up the documentation/WIKI section that introduces this stuff, but I can't find any! I know Emby does a ton of stuff, and this is one of the lesser-used functions, but is there a primer on this subject somewhere in the knowledge base that I'm just missing? Any guidance appreciated.

sundevil67

Is there a way to generate a regular old hyperlink I can add to a static HTML document that'd use a webhook or some kind of syntax that'll deep-link into a photo album (for logged in users) & pre-apply certain parameters like which tags to look for? Any examples you know of featuring something similar?

20 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

Is there a way to generate a regular old hyperlink I can add to a static HTML document that'd use a webhook or some kind of syntax that'll deep-link into a photo album (for logged in users) & pre-apply certain parameters like which tags to look for? Any examples you know of featuring something similar?

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but why not browse to the screen you want in the web app, and then capture that url?

sundevil67

Thanks Luke... That option had some potential, but it's still too hard to navigate for this group of users, and excludes the app, or requires using it in tandem with a browser...a non-starter with a group who's accounts I have to set up with a blank password & their last high tech gadget was a rotary phone. Bouncing the user back to the homepage after login in instead of continuing on to that deep link is one issue...I suppose it could work to set up an old school FRAMESET, with a static page of deep links in a nav frame, but that cancels out the biggest advantage - the ability to enjoy these photo albums on a big TV with family.

The frustrating part is that the functionality is all there - a "smart album"... ability to generate a library with filtering options already applied would do the trick. 100% of my users (not just the old folks) either didn't know the filtering options existed or are just incapable of using them.

BTW, something I noticed while experimenting ... I can't add "PEOPLE" to photos at all; just doesn't stick. Maybe it was just not worth hiding the field in this case, and it's not supposed to work...the 'role' option makes it clear it wasn't intended for family photos...I was wondering if 'people' could be an alternative to keywords/tags when batch-adding facial recognition data locally for use by Emby.

• 1 year later...
sundevil67

Are there any plans on the horizon for "tags" in Emby to be able to be populated by the same attribute in a JPG, or some kind of workaround that'd allow me to add some info to any metadata field in MacOS "get info" that could then be ready by Emby's search function? ScreenShot2023-05-28at7_50_29AM.png.95fa34668c0f1b621ad56bfb0f466f15.pngScreenShot2023-05-28at7_51_00AM.png.180c0ff3a2553ad6518133c6b4298098.png

3 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

Are there any plans on the horizon for "tags" in Emby to be able to be populated by the same attribute in a JPG, or some kind of workaround that'd allow me to add some info to any metadata field in MacOS "get info" that could then be ready by Emby's search function? ScreenShot2023-05-28at7_50_29AM.png.95fa34668c0f1b621ad56bfb0f466f15.pngScreenShot2023-05-28at7_51_00AM.png.180c0ff3a2553ad6518133c6b4298098.png

Hi, we do already populate from the keywords exif data. Is that what you mean?

sundevil67

I see where some of my confusion was coming from ... Apple has "Finder Tags" which are actually not the same thing, while term, "tag" is used for other metadata, even sometimes interchangeably with "keywords"...

I was originally thinking adding a "tag" in Emby was actually changing the EXIF data in the file, but I don't think that's the case, which is probably where this endeavor ends... I was hoping to have the EXIF data, "PersonInImage" (what's populated when my local photo tool identifies the person in the image) read by Emby as a tag or person.

56 minutes ago, sundevil67 said:

I see where some of my confusion was coming from ... Apple has "Finder Tags" which are actually not the same thing, while term, "tag" is used for other metadata, even sometimes interchangeably with "keywords"...

I was originally thinking adding a "tag" in Emby was actually changing the EXIF data in the file, but I don't think that's the case, which is probably where this endeavor ends... I was hoping to have the EXIF data, "PersonInImage" (what's populated when my local photo tool identifies the person in the image) read by Emby as a tag or person.

OK so what you've got are apple specific tags then. This would require new development from us, but it looks like that link you found can give you a workaround in the meantime.

sundevil67

I have been around in a few circles on this and it even goes back a few years. What I was hoping to do seems like it is possible, but I think without smart albums or the ability to generate Emby tags from EXIF data, I think I'm stuck. I'm spending all of this time tagging photos locally to recognize the faces & wanted to take advantage of this in the online library so users could find the photos they want to see, but I think it is really now time to throw in the towel. It'd be great if there was more interest in using it for photo libraries & could justify more development work in this area, but now that I'm the only one left who doesn't use Instagram to manage their photo library, I get it. Thanks for trying to assist.

but I think without smart albums or the ability to generate Emby tags from EXIF data, I think I'm stuck. 

We do have that as I mentioned above, via keywords.

• Agree 1