Reinstalled Emby - Local Devices Fail to Connect

sourpops
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

sourpops

Hello - Due to some PC crash issues, I performed a clean reinstall of Windows 10. Issue unrelated to Emby and I used Emby for a year+ with no connection issues. I did not do any Emby backups or anything, as I did not do much original configuring, and all media was on separate hard drives. So I had assumed it would be a simple reinstall and re-add libraries. This might have started this problem? Maybe the original setup wasn’t as easy as I remembered...

I’ve reinstalled Emby on my primary PC as the server and can access my media libraries from the primary PC. I cannot access the server from any device (phone, laptop, RokuTV) on the local network. They report Connection Failure for apps or sites that cannot reach browsers using the LAN address and port 8096 listed on the Emby Dashboard. This includes wireless and wired (laptop ethernet plugged into the router).

Remote WAN access attempts by disabling WiFi results in failed connection, although I’ve never needed external access.

Going through Emby Connect on primary PC, I can also connect as localhost:8096, and login and get to the server with address as app.emby.media.

Login through Emby connect on the iPhone app and RokuTV takes me back to select a server page with no servers listed. On both platforms, manual connections with LAN address results in Connection Failure.

I set the reinstalled Emby server name to a unique name and removed any pre-existing servers on devices. Then I repeated the above I believe at one point, the iPhone was showing the server as an option, but it was the original server, which would be why it couldn’t connect. I do not remember the LAN address of the original server.

Emby Version 4.6.7.0. Windows 10 OS Build 19044.1466. ASUS Router RT-AX82U

For the connectivity guide troubleshooting  on Internal Connections

-Web browser connections are unable to connect with other devices. I tried all four combinations of  http/https and 8096/8920

-I’ve opened TCP port 80 within Windows Firewall, Inbound Rules, on the primary PC where the server is running. I followed the McNeel guide link, although I have a question. For port, is it 80 or 8096? Guide says to just type 80, but I did try both, devices still fail to connect.

-Windows AntiVirus scan shows no threats

-No VPN connections active

External Connections (not needed for me, but maybe helpful to figure out Internal issues)

- Web browser connections are unable to connect using iPhones with WiFi disabled. Using the Remote Access WAN address, I tried all four combinations of http/https and 8096/8920. Although no, I did not leave home to test this.

-I stopped at router port forwarding. I did not see any router setup for Emby before Windows reinstall, particularly for Internal Connections.

What have I missed? Or was there something in the router for internal connections? I’m not sure where to go from here. Maybe reinstall Emby again and start from scratch?

Hello sourpops,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Solution
Happy2Play

If local connects are failing it usually means there is a firewall issue.

If you have no third party AV/filewall you can shutdown Emby, goto the C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\system.xml and reset  <IsPortAuthorized> to false, save and start Emby.  This will/should authorize Emby ports again.

If that does not work you may need to go to Windows firewall and remove all rules for Emby and/or Emby ports.

Emby Connectivity : Emby

• Like 1

sourpops
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If local connects are failing it usually means there is a firewall issue.

If you have no third party AV/filewall you can shutdown Emby, goto the C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\system.xml and reset  <IsPortAuthorized> to false, save and start Emby.  This will/should authorize Emby ports again.

If that does not work you may need to go to Windows firewall and remove all rules for Emby and/or Emby ports.

Emby Connectivity : Emby

You're the best!

I have no third party AV/Firewall. Shutting down emby, editting the file and restarting solved my issue for each device. 

• 8 months later...
Midou_mc

Hi there !

i got the same issue but on freebsd, and i can't find any xml config or equivalent.

I used to run emby for a while but for some reasons i uninstall it. A few days ago i re-install emby but same result as sour pops , can't access to emby from web browser on any device in lan.

note : I try nmap to see if 8096 is open and it's not. I already try reinstall emby and reboot the server.

Thank you for taking to read it and time to answer

ps: i'm french so i maybe not too accurate.

10 hours ago, Midou_mc said:

Hi there !

i got the same issue but on freebsd, and i can't find any xml config or equivalent.

I used to run emby for a while but for some reasons i uninstall it. A few days ago i re-install emby but same result as sour pops , can't access to emby from web browser on any device in lan.

note : I try nmap to see if 8096 is open and it's not. I already try reinstall emby and reboot the server.

Thank you for taking to read it and time to answer

ps: i'm french so i maybe not too accurate.

Hi, are you able to use the Emby Server web interface directly on the server machine?