HTTPS Remote access to Emby using Chromecast

dseguin

Hello all,

I've succeeded in configuring a remotely accessible HTTPS secure connection to my Emby server. Thanks to this forum for showing me how to do this !

My remaining problem is the following :

My remote user is capable of accessing my Emby server through HTTPS. Everything works fine on his phone, tablet, computer. But when he tries to send this to his Chromecast from any of his devices, the EMBY logo shows up on his TV, the circle logo "spins" as if buffering the data and nothing happens... If my remote friend connects to my Emby server using the unsecure connection (8096), no issue streaming to the Chromecast.

Have I missed something ? 🤔

Hi, ZeroSSL isn't universally recognized by all hardware devices I think due to the way it's certificate chain is setup.

I can say from personal experience that both Cloudflare or Let's Encrypt certs work fine.

seanbuff

Just to add to this, I am using ZeroSSL to secure my Emby Server and have many Chromecast users with no issues.

Seanbuff : What did you use to convert the certificate to PKCS #12 ? I used this online service : https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-converter.html. Maybe the conversion made this unusable on Chromecast...

I use sslhopper.com quite often to convert certs.  You did fill in a password both on that site and in Emby for the the PKCS#12 cert correct?

Honestly don't know, but I can tell you I've not had good luck not using the password.  So I just use it when creating the cert and never have a problem related to cert issues.

You can turn on debug logging and restart Emby Server to see if any errors are generated but if I were you I'd just redo the cert using a password and see if that fixes the issue.

Ok, so I've recreated the certificate and I am now using a password, entered the password in Emby as well, Emby server restarted. Same issue... I can even replicate the problem at my home (http works, https displays the Emby logo with the spinning circle indefinitely). At least I know that it is not the remote user side that is at fault...

Ok, so I got this working. The initial issue was the reverse proxy not working for me (different thread) so I've abandonned that idea. I decided to go with my own personal domain and certificate but not able to stream to Chromecast using HTTPS. So I went back to using my synology "domain" (synology.me), exported the Let's Encrypt certificate, converted it with password. It now works.

Thanks to those who replied to this thread !