Reset password on DSM7 Emby server

EricJan
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

Hi,

I just bought a Synology DS920+ and thought it would be neat to migrate my existing Emby server from Windows server to the new nas. Unfortunately, two of the disks failed and it took some time to get the nas up and running. 

It is back up and running now and I thought continuing the installation, only to find out I cannot sign in anymore. Probably, I have made an error entering the original password. Uninstalling and re-installing the package makes no difference, appearantly  the one user I created is not deleted during the uninstall. 

There is a button to reset the password, but it then directs me to go to a Unix file I have no clue how to access from windows..... It is /var/packages/ and then some more. 

Please advise? How can I access the password reset file or how do I make a clean install (and clear all user data)?

Thanks!

Eric Jan

I have not yet. I was planning to copy the settings from my windows server, and then restore them on the Synology one, but I need to resolve the access on the Synology first 😉

Ah, sorry, no. No clue. I know Synology runs some form of Linux, but I have no clue how to access it. This is why I posted here. 

I tried putting the path in the URL to my DS but that did not work. 

Edited by EricJan

• Solution
FrostByte

Ya, OP is going to need to enable SSH on their NAS and then use something like Putty/Terminal/ or WinSCP to navigate the folder from Windows.

I normally use WinSCP, but here's a good little Synology kb to walk you through enabling SSH and using Windows Terminal.  It was written for DSM 6, but the instructions are the same for DSM 7

How can I sign in to DSM/SRM with root privilege via SSH? - Synology Knowledge Center

Edited by FrostByte
  • Agree 1

As @FrostByte mentioned, the area where the password reset instructions is written is not available via the normal GUI but requires elevated access to get to.  SSH is quick and easy assuming you've used SSH before.

@EricJan if you haven't straightened out your situation yet, send me a PM (hover over my username and send me a message) and I can do a remote support session with you to show you how to accomplish the above and help you get fixed up. This way you'll also know how to do it in the future as well.

If you want to spend a couple minutes doing a review of you setup on Windows I can likely give you some pointers as well to migrate this data over to Synology smoothly as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There you go. Silly me. Never thought I would have to enable the access from DSM before it could be used..... I am getting old and rusty I think... Thanks you all for your help and suggestions, my Emby is unlocked again! Next stop, see if I can restore the windows settings on it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cayars said:

As @FrostByte mentioned, the area where the password reset instructions is written is not available via the normal GUI but requires elevated access to get to.  SSH is quick and easy assuming you've used SSH before.

@EricJan if you haven't straightened out your situation yet, send me a PM (hover over my username and send me a message) and I can do a remote support session with you to show you how to accomplish the above and help you get fixed up. This way you'll also know how to do it in the future as well.

If you want to spend a couple minutes doing a review of you setup on Windows I can likely give you some pointers as well to migrate this data over to Synology smoothly as well.

Very friendly of you, thank you. I managed fortunately. Did not make me miss the 'good old telnet' days 😉

• Haha 1