Disable Collections

Skyobliwind
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Skyobliwind

My emby Server randomly created a collection for films and I don't know why. I didn't change anything. The films it added to the collection are on the server for a few months now but the collection must have been created just a few days ago, I just noticed it. I deleted the collection, but still it appears between the libaries in the libary view. How can I disable and delete collections. I see no reason to use this feature but I see no way to delete is as normal libaries.

Im using v 4.6.7.0

Regards Skyobliwind

Edited by Skyobliwind
Added information

Skyobliwind

Collections.PNG.d2ea6a961f3d72d0b78159a2d3fef3b0.PNG

This is the only option related to collections I found, but it isn't and wasn't ever activated.

But still it shows:

Collections2.thumb.PNG.aa2034cdc103f03c549182a375ca257b.PNG

Skyobliwind

The option says "deactivating prevents the creation of new collections in the future but doesn't delete already created collections" - So how do I delete already created collections then? Deleting the Collection and rescanning all libaries didn't help, also a reboot after that didn't help.

Happy2Play

Once the Collection library is created it cannot be deleted as it has content.

You have to delete every collection then there is a step we can provide to remove the library.  But it has to be empty, and you cannot create any collections, or it will return.

Now there is an option to hide the library per user.

• Solution
Happy2Play
On 1/13/2022 at 1:02 PM, Skyobliwind said:

I already deleted it's content, but I want to remove/hide the collections folder.

If the Library is empty, then you can sort of hack the library to remove it.

Shut down Emby "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\root\default\Collections" path will be platform dependent

delete the options.xml or the entire Collection folder

Restart Emby, go to Setting-Library, now the Collection library should be Mixed Content type and have the option to Delete/Remove the library.

Assuming no collections exist, the library will not regenerate.

Edited by Happy2Play
typo
  • Thanks 2

Skyobliwind

Hi, yes worked fine.

I'm using the Truenas plugin, so the patch to the options.xml is:

/var/db/<servername>/root/default/Collections

But deleting it and restarting after that made it possible to delete the collections.

• 1 year later...
Tony B.

Sorry to bring up an old subject but there should be an easy way to disable collections.

I personally don't like them.

They should never be tied into the media library so deeply that it's nearly impossible to disable them without risk of seriously screwing up the installation.

• Agree 1

pwhodges

You can disable getting collection info from metadata providers (per library) and hide the collections tab on the home page (per user); neither of these "seriously screw up the installation".  What more do you want?

Paul

pwhodges

What significant space is it taking up?

I am using collections (manual only), but I can only find 40MB of data related to them, which hardly signifies on disks measured in TB.

Paul

Tony B.

That's 40MB less and a waste of space. I have 40TB, it's not the important point.

I will never understand programmers that intentionally bloat their software because 'that's what all the media server developers are doing'. Probably the worst reason to do it. Be exceptional, not part of the problem.

Someday, collections are going to be viewed for what they are. For now, I will look at the library on all three of my Emby servers and say to myself "hopefully that will go away some day"

Edited by Tony B.
  • Haha 1

Happy2Play

Welll it is your choice to make collections per your library settings.  But if you have it enabled and have Collections then you will have to multi-select all of them and delete them to remove their item metadata to created them. 

Removing the empty library is another story per above.

But in the end provider and custom collections will never go away.

pwhodges

Why are you looking at any collections at all if you don't want to? Just turn them off and remove them.

If you are categorising any feature you don't personally want or use as "bloat", then I'm sure you could find a lot more of Emby that you'd like removed!

Paul

Tony B.
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Welll it is your choice to make collections per your library settings.  But if you have it enabled and have Collections then you will have to multi-select all of them and delete them to remove their item metadata to created them. 

Never is a dangerous word to say, LoL

13 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Why are you looking at any collections at all if you don't want to? Just turn them off and remove them.

If you are categorising any feature you don't personally want or use as "bloat", then I'm sure you could find a lot more of Emby that you'd like removed!

Paul

I have to look at them on the library configuration page.

Aesthetics is the name of the game. Less is more, and a user should ALWAYS have a way to remove bloat. Many may not see them as bloat, but it's inconsequential.

Here is the number one reason I hate them with a blind passion: they are building collections at 1 movie when it's supposed to be 2 or more. Also, the movie "8MM" is not a part of a collection, same with "The Accountant". It built collections anyway.

80% of my collection library that only has one movie and these are not part of a collection.

I love to help the staff out with errors in Emby, but since I avoid even looking at Collections like the plague, I certainly don't want to troubleshoot it. It will/should die a miserable death, hopefully not before too much time has elapsed.

• Agree 1

Tony B.
45 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

There is not much choice to this.

But I have never had any media libraries authorized to create collections but they are doing it anyway.

Screenshot_20230312-035924.thumb.png.3a1f91b5422496981bfe9c043c0738ee.png

pwhodges

You keep talking about bloat - but your problem here is not bloat but some bug or database corruption.

With those settings you should not be getting collections automatically any more than I am.  So what you need to do is to try to make the system generate a collection (by adding a movie?) and then providing a system log for the time it happened for the developers to try to determine what needs fixing either in the software or in your installation.

Personally, with no knowledge of the internals, I would first try to fix it by enabling the metadata collection in all libraries, restart the server (because you never know...), then disable in all libraries and maybe restart again.  Who knows, possibly that might get the internals back in sync with the option display?  But the devs are probably better able to comment beyond that than I am; maybe they've even seen this scenario before.

Paul

• Agree 1

Tony B.

As I said, no interest in troubleshooting it.

I know it shouldn't be happening but it is.

It's the same story with Plex too. I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN only have ONE of these movies and most movies that are in collections aren't part of collections.

pwhodges
36 minutes ago, Tony B. said:

Then why bring it up?

37 minutes ago, Tony B. said:

It's the same story with Plex too. I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN only have ONE of these movies and most movies that are in collections aren't part of collections.

So this isn't even a specifically Emby problem, then?  Assuming Plex is being used with the same data, then that needs to be considered.  Do you import nfo files with your media?

Paul

Spaceboy

Both 8mm and the accountant are objectively part of collections. You may not agree but you don’t provide the metadata.

I imagine what happened is you enabled collections initially with a minimum of 1 item, the collections were all correctly created and you later changed the minimum to 2.

• Agree 1

Tony B.

Why would the default for collections be set at 1? That would make a collection for all my movies, which it never did.

I have tried to get collections off my library screen for as long as it's been on there.

Why bring it up? Because it's important for the devs to understand that not everyone likes this feature and NOBODY should be forced to have drive space taken up by something that the user deems useless.

And it's basically like any other product out there, give the end user a choice. Forcing someone to deal with something they don't want feels a bit 'malware-y'

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, Tony B. said:

I know it shouldn't be happening but it is.

Well that means your item metadata had the information and will always be read.  Now yes I believe there is was a issue in the past where 1 items ie part of a provider collection was being made but is not reproducible when set to 2 or more items.

1 minute ago, Tony B. said:

Why would the default for collections be set at 1? That would make a collection for all my movies, which it never did.

Not possible as all movies are not Part of a Collection per provider metadata.

2 minutes ago, Tony B. said:

I have tried to get collections off my library screen for as long as it's been on there.

If your library contains collections then all you can do is hide the Home Screen Library.  Otherwise you have to DELETE all existing Collections.

But Collections will live forever or as long as Providers give use the information.