Shield Experience 9 Release

CBers

19 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Hi @ebr

I'm sure you have seen this - but could the 'All Files' configuration detailed on the link below be what we need ?

https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/manage-all-files

Explicitly :

I'm not an Android Developer - so apologies if it's a lot more complex than this - we just want to try and help to resolve this  .. 😎

But there is no reason that an app that just wants to read files should have to be granted permissions to manage files.  This implies that the app will be able to delete and move files around which is not correct.  As an end user, I would never enable that for a playback app.

The bottom line here is - this option is not really necessary for probably 99% of users (and maybe even 100%).  And, with its current performance, it is a detriment.  So, unless that gets corrected by an Nvidia update fairly quickly, the option will just go.  Sorry.

adamsuail
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

But there is no reason that an app that just wants to read files should have to be granted permissions to manage files.  This implies that the app will be able to delete and move files around which is not correct.  As an end user, I would never enable that for a playback app.

The bottom line here is - this option is not really necessary for probably 99% of users (and maybe even 100%).  And, with its current performance, it is a detriment.  So, unless that gets corrected by an Nvidia update fairly quickly, the option will just go.  Sorry.

We do need the file management option, I like to delete my legal content after watching it and am sure am not the only one.

For xplore, I gave write access to NAS as below.

Menu>Apps>special app access> Nas storage access....then I was able to delete files off samba share .

2 minutes ago, adamsuail said:

We do need the file management option, I like to delete my legal content after watching it and am sure am not the only one

Hi.  The app does not perform delete operations.  Your server does so the app does not need permissions to modify your file system.

FrostByte
24 minutes ago, ebr said:

SMB doesn't work though if you don't have that option.  X-plore and VLC also don't work without that option.  See my pics below

"Allow all the time" smb playback works as you you can see the words smb next to my Media share

X-plore_20220130_104458.thumb.png.ac9c195cb5aad08561acd6b154bcf8f9.png

However, if I change permissions to "Allow while using the app" smb doesn't work

X-plore_20220130_104630.thumb.png.d4ce68d268f70ef2e02819fd2679490c.png

Also, when you turn on "Allow all the time" a big prompt comes up asking if you want to grant the app permissions 

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

There must be some link between SMB and that option because it has to be enabled for other apps like X-plore and VLC to use SMB.  

adamsuail
20 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The app does not perform delete operations.  Your server does so the app does not need permissions to modify your file system.

We are not on the same page.

IMG_20220130_200709__01__01.jpg

• Haha 1

vdatanet
Just now, adamsuail said:

We are not on the same page.

IMG_20220130_200709__01__01.jpg

That action deletes the file at server level. You can do that even without having acess to the file at client side.

16 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

That action deletes the file at server level. You can do that even without having acess to the file at client side.

Correct.  The app does not need direct file permissions for this operation.  This is nothing new and not impacted at all by what is being discussed here (direct file access for playback).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

SMB doesn't work though if you don't have that option. 

You are making a bit of a leap of logic assuming that the "Allow all the time" option is at all related to the FILE_MANAGEMENT permission.  I don't think it is.  I believe the apps that are showing the "Allow all the time" option have been compiled to a different (lower) API level than the ones that do not.

• Like 1

FrostByte
44 minutes ago, ebr said:

You are making a bit of a leap of logic assuming that the "Allow all the time" option is at all related to the FILE_MANAGEMENT permission.  I don't think it is.  I believe the apps that are showing the "Allow all the time" option have been compiled to a different (lower) API level than the ones that do not.

It might be possible smb is required in order to use FILE _MANAGMENT though.  For some reason I don't believe Emby is requesting or has permission to request an SMB2/3 connection and the only reason it works for me after 60 seconds is that it sees another smb connection and jumps on it.  It's sort of like Jurassic Park when the guy says somehow Mother Nature finds a way.

• Agree 2

rbjtech
14 hours ago, ebr said:

As I said, I'm not an Android Developer, so if you could confirm this is not required - then we will start lobbying Nvidia directly to fix your Emby App.    They will I presume, need to discuss with you directly as we obviously don't have the source code - Are you ok for us to lay the groundwork with Nvidia ?

My report:

I had no luck

My stream still http and not file.

I turned on or off the settings of the APP on Android side.

I'm over OMV SMB/CIFS.

My server is not very powerful but still is a i7 6700k with 32GB RAM, nor graphic card and no transcode settings on, all my content is curated for direct play in my devices and personal network.

I have no raid yet because $$$

However I use 10 HDD's between 18 - 10TB over Open Media Vault SMB/CIFS

I have no delay, just 5 seconds because I use the "match refresh rate ON" and with that feature turned ON it always take around 4-5 seconds to start. Without that feature nevermind if I use the direct path or not, I have no delays at start... However for fast forward and heavy original 4K content direct path works faster.

So, my only problem is http with or without  direct path ON or OFF

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, Riggs said:

However for fast forward and heavy original 4K content direct path works faster.

tbh I haven't actually tried this - I've been focussing on the 'start' timings - so you may have a very good point. 👍

What is the difference during FF/RWD and chapter navigation for example vs the previous SMB (Direct FILE) response ?

I'll do some tests myself later on tonight ..

2 hours ago, Riggs said:

However for fast forward and heavy original 4K content direct path works faster

How do you know that when you cannot get the direct path working with the current Nvidia firmware?

How long does it take to FF using the http method with the new firmware?

6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Are you ok for us to lay the groundwork with Nvidia ?

Sorry, no because, as I've stated multiple times, I am not prepared to spend a lot of time on this particular feature at this point.  There are much more important things to spend time on.

Audiomixer

This isn’t something nvidia will fix for Emby when I’ve submitted logs in the past. They simply state state fixing the Emby app is up to Emby as other apps have done.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ebr said:

How do you know that when you cannot get the direct path working with the current Nvidia firmware?

How long does it take to FF using the http method with the new firmware?

It works how I said, but it reports http in stats for nerds, and not how file, but the difference is there. I did the re-check and yes the FF is faster when the APP is set to direct path, nevermind if change or not the Android settings.

I can't tell you why, you're the programmer, I'm just an user reporting for you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Riggs said:

but it reports http in stats for nerds

The display is correct.  The direct file access is no longer working for you with the Shield firmware update.

5 hours ago, Riggs said:

I did the re-check and yes the FF is faster when the APP is set to direct path

Any difference you saw was coincidental and unrelated to the setting since, no matter how you set that setting, it is playing back via http.

• Thanks 1

lightsout

Should I avoid this update still, I run Emby server on an external PC, are these issues only for those running it on the Shield?

GrimReaper
23 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Should I avoid this update still, I run Emby server on an external PC, are these issues only for those running it on the Shield?

It affects AndroidTV client app on Shield, regardless of your server platform. If you haven't utilized DFA till now, you'll see no change and can safely update. 

• Like 1

FrostByte

I would sign up for the hotfixes also, but other than DFA I'm not seeing any issues with the current ATV beta which may have been caused by Android 11.

adamsuail

Just sharing my best workaround for the direct file playback.

the combination of Emby + MXplayer + adblocker works very well.

Emby: playback >> use external player for videos.

Set MXplayer as default for all video types.

zero overhead on the server and you get direct smb playback, MXplayer's interface is very professional and customizable.

player interface:

IMG_20220202_190638.thumb.jpg.e67fa44a5e044a8258048b17a0e2a003.jpg 

SMB server :

1950625893_Screenshot2022-02-02192425.jpg.fc192838e1d96761ce13d4854deb1aaf.jpg

CPU:

cpu.jpg.8e67e3778eacb5391b41922b3f8fb584.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, adamsuail said:

Just sharing my best workaround for the direct file playback.

the combination of Emby + MXplayer + adblocker works very well.

Emby: playback >> use external player for videos.

Set MXplayer as default for all video types.

zero overhead on the server and you get direct smb playback, MXplayer's interface is very professional and customizable.

player interface:

IMG_20220202_190638.thumb.jpg.e67fa44a5e044a8258048b17a0e2a003.jpg 

SMB server :

1950625893_Screenshot2022-02-02192425.jpg.fc192838e1d96761ce13d4854deb1aaf.jpg

CPU:

cpu.jpg.8e67e3778eacb5391b41922b3f8fb584.jpg

Hi.  What specific problem did you have with using our player over http?