Shield Experience 9 Release

CBers

54 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Direct Play no longer works - and I don't think the Emby team are going to fix it ... :(

Do you have issues with using HTTP ?  If yes, please can you expand ?

yes, I cannot use Emby on the shield for 4k HDR playback direct play, to many issues, app locks up sometimes on launch or stopping playback, to where I have to restart the shield, choppy playback, things like that.  My solution has been to use an external player, that works great without issue, but then I don't have resume if I have to stop a show in the middle and like to come back later.  If I use KODI on the shield and that plays files just fine, 

15 minutes ago, ebr said:

I believe that is probably related to this firmware update as opposed to the app but can you please start a new thread with details?

Thanks.

I could but this all seems related to the OS update, so shouldn't this remain here?  I should also state thet yes this has always been an issue for me but seems like it happens more often after the OS 9 update

Edited by mpg732

8 minutes ago, mpg732 said:

I could but this all seems related to the OS update, so shouldn't this remain here?  I should also state thet yes this has always been an issue for me but seems like it happens more often after the OS 9 update

Well, you specifically stated ".64 is buggy".  I do believe the issues are related to the firmware update but you appeared to believe otherwise so I was offering to investigate that.

Thanks.

FrostByte

A couple of interesting posts on the nVidia Shield forums in the following link. 

First one is the known issues which haven't been fixed in hotfixes yet. 

The other post goes on to talk about a lot of apps (File managers, Plex, etc) which aren't fully Android 11 ready or asking for permissions correctly by using "Allow all the time" and how they need to request "deeper" access.  X-plore was mentioned as one that is now 100% ready

SHIELD Experience Upgrade 9.0 Known | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

• Thanks 1

Audiomixer

Hotfix 3 should be released today.

Third HotFix (33.1.0.271) deployed on 1/xx/2022:

• Resolves Wifi disconnects on a subset mesh/band steering network setups 
  • Resolves Plex file access issues which requires users to set up Plex server again after OTA upgrade 
  • Resolves issue while using Bluetooth headphones, audio is routed to HDMI instead of headphones only when audio formats is set to Manual 
  • Resolves free space reports incorrect using SMB server feature in SHIELD 
  • Resolves issue when switching the input away from SHIELD via CEC, SHIELD does not sleep 
  • Resolves issue copying files over SMB to SHIELD while an app is running on SHIELD can lock the SMB transfers out 
  • Resolves long press menu button and menu button push to Kodi not working 
  • Resolves SHIELD screen gets rotated 90 degrees 
  • Resolves mouse click not working 
  • Restores ability for SMB server to navigate Kodi media files

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481434/shield-experience-upgrade-90-hotfix-image/3205711/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:
  • Restores ability for SMB server to navigate Kodi media files

This one looks interesting ...

• Like 1

rbjtech

So to me - the 'problem' lies with Emby not having the correct settings to allow the full permissions to be set.

I can set the 'Allow Only While Using the App' permissions in both X-Plore and VLC - both then allow browsing of the shared Folders - but both will NOT allow playback or even viewing of the Contents of the Folder.  As soon as you set the permission to 'Allow All The Time' - bingo, both applications allow browsing of the contents of the shared folders and playback works just fine.

Emby does NOT have this permission setting - thus it does not work in Direct File play mode.  It CAN see the folders (as proven in the Wireshark trace) - it just can't read the contents of the folders - same as X-Plore and VLC with just those permissions set.

So @ebr - Do we know why Emby does not have this 'Allow All the Time' Permission setting ?  Is it something the App is in direct control of ?

I haven't yet got the 3rd hotfix - but "Restores ability for SMB server to navigate Kodi media files" sounds related to the above issues.

@FrostByte @Audiomixer - Do you have the 3rd hotfix yet ?

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

FrostByte
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

I haven't yet got the 3rd hotfix - but "Restores ability for SMB server to navigate Kodi media files" sounds related to the above issues.

@FrostByte @Audiomixer - Do you have the 3rd hotfix yet ?

Nothing yet with Hotfix 3, but the nVidia page says it hasn't been deployed yet.

I've read that sticky note by nVidia from my link above several times and it's very confusing, but to me it looks like if the permissions options are

1. "Allow" then the app isn't advertising being Android 11 ready at all
  2. "Allow while using the app" are advertising being Android 11 ready but are not asking for privileges correctly
  3. "Allow all the time" are Android 11 ready and asking for permissions correctly

I've seen the same with X-plore that it doesn't work unless you choose option 3.

Hopefully, something will change though with hotfix 3.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Here are two Android 11 fixes in newer versions of Exoplayer not yet in ATV (they are in the standard app though).  The Exoplayer GitHub page talks a little bit more of them, but I'm not really sure what they do.

Video:
Fix IncorrectContextUseViolation strict mode warning on Android 11 (#8246).

Downloads and caching:
Workaround platform issue that can cause a SecurityException to be thrown from Requirements.isInternetConnectivityValidated on devices running Android 11 (#9002).

FrostByte

Just loaded hotfix #3.  Cleared cache, uninstalled, reinstalled, set permissions.  Permissions still show "Allow while using the app" 

I'm still getting File access, but it's also still taking a minute to start.  Not very usable

Emby_20220129_091701.png.65d17fec86f96845966a1351cb89918d.png

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rbjtech said:

So to me - the 'problem' lies with Emby not having the correct settings to allow the full permissions to be set.

That is not correct as confirmed by Frostbyte's experience.

rbjtech
41 minutes ago, ebr said:

That is not correct as confirmed by Frostbyte's experience.

FrostByte is the exception here - and I'd like to see proof that it is actually an SMB connection.

@FrostByte - I believe you are running your Emby Server on your NAS ?  If yes, do you see the SMB IP Connection from the Shield IP (Direct Play) OR from the Emby Server (Not Direct Play, but reporting that it is)..  If you were to stop the emby server (HTTP) - does the Shield client carry on playing - confirming Direct SMB Access ... ?

@ebr - I'm not sure why you think this is not correct, the Nvidia forums are filled with these issues - in summary, they are saying the App developers need to fix their APP ! .   We (myself and others, including Frostbyte) can recreate it on demand - setting the correct permissions fixes the issue on ALL the other Apps but Emby.  What makes Emby so special that it can use Full SMB Access without needing the 'All the Time' access like the other apps do ?

HF3 Applied -  Emby cache,data deleted,Force Stop,Uninstall, Reboot, Reinstall - no difference.

Edited by rbjtech

adamsuail

@FrostByte

i see that you are using server v.4.7.0.22 and tv client v.2.0.64 both beta?  i installed the same to replicate your setup and applied hotfix 3 then did a factory reset... still no cake...could you please assist.

my media path is /root/media/english so i gave the library the UNC path //PI/media/english where PI is my server and media is the shared folder.

on the TV client cleared cache, cleared storage data, reinstalled the client...selected the option "pass direct path" gave the required permission. tried it..still no file playback.

selected the option "use external player for videos" , yup, it plays the file directly off my samba share "media", i could confirm that by running the command smbstatus on the server and i can see the file being played is locked, where am i going wrong?

Edited by adamsuail
forgot to mention the permission part.

FrostByte
22 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

@FrostByte - I believe you are running your Emby Server on your NAS ?  If yes, do you see the SMB IP Connection from the Shield IP (Direct Play) OR from the Emby Server (Not Direct Play, but reporting that it is)..  If you were to stop the emby server (HTTP) - does the Shield client carry on playing - confirming Direct SMB Access ... ?

How do I see the if it's really using SMB connection?  Not sure what tools you used earlier. 

I'll try and shutdown Emby server during playback to see if playback continues.  That always worked in the past

30 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I'd like to see proof that it is actually an SMB connection

From the last log he sent me:

01-27 13:52:59.150 30278 30278 I System.out: Video path set to: /storage/MEDIA-SERVER/MyEmbyMedia/Movies/Sing 2 (2021)/Sing.2.2021.2160p.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.HDR.HEVC-EVO.mkv

That is why I do not believe there is a permissions issue in the app. 

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

How do I see the if it's really using SMB connection?  Not sure what tools you used earlier. 

I'll try and shutdown Emby server during playback to see if playback continues.  That always worked in the past

So on your NAS, Do you have any tools showing the IP of the connection ?

If yes, then any Direct Connection from the Shield will have it's IP address as the SOURCE.

If it's actually using HTTP, then it will show the IP address of the NAS - or none at all, as the Emby Server is on the same device (so it's using direct I/O) - no IP stack involved.

• Like 1

FrostByte
12 minutes ago, adamsuail said:

@FrostByte

i see that you are using server v.4.7.0.22 and tv client v.2.0.64 both beta?  i installed the same to replicate your setup and applied hotfix 3 then did a factory reset... still no cake...could you please assist.

my media path is /root/media/english so i gave the library the UNC path //PI/media/english where PI is my server and media is the shared folder.

on the TV client cleared cache, cleared storage data, reinstalled the client...selected the option "pass direct path" gave the required permission. tried it..still no file playback.

selected the option "use external player for videos" , yup, it plays the file directly off my samba share "media", i could confirm that by running the command smbstatus on the server and i can see the file being played is locked, where am i going wrong?

Here is my folder setup on server.  

MyEmbyMedia is the shared folder on NAS

Movies is the subfolder I'm using as my library

embyfolders.jpg.9fdafb9ce7f416cd6e79614cd82454f3.jpg

There is a KB in the link below you may want to look at.  If you have further questions ask, though I'm having a difficult time figuring out why it works (at least partially) for me and not others right now

Shield TV Direct File Access : Emby

• Like 1

rbjtech

Here is my folder setup on server.  

MyEmbyMedia is the shared folder on NAS

Movies is the subfolder I'm using as my library

embyfolders.jpg.9fdafb9ce7f416cd6e79614cd82454f3.jpg

There is a KB in the link below you may want to look at.  If you have further questions ask, though I'm having a difficult time figuring out why it works (at least partially) for me and not others right now

Shield TV Direct File Access : Emby

If you are happy to - I guess the biggest clue will be if you remove the (Optional) shared network folder - does it then stop working ? ...

• Like 1

FrostByte

Okay, I'm pretty sure it's using SMB

When I removed the optional path starting a movie would fail over to HTTP after a few spins

When I put the optional path back in my movie would use File access (after about 60 seconds of spinning)

Then I turned off Emby server and my movie is still playing 20 minutes into it

Looking in my logs on the NAS I don't see playback starting, but when the Shield boots I can see the initial connection.  .07 is my Shield

2022-01-29
09:06:55
Info
MEDIA-SERVER
XXXXXX
Connection
User [XXXXXX] from [(10.0.0.7)] via [CIFS(SMB3)] accessed shared folder [MyEmbyMedia].

I probably need a better tool, but that would all seem to indicate SMB(3) is being used.

• Agree 1

rbjtech

It's also PLAIN to see in a SPAN Ethernet packet capture of the Shield Ethernet Interface ..

This one is Emby - filtered by TCP 445, Shield (SOURCE - 30.35) and Emby Server on Windows (DESTINATION - 30.100) (ACK's removed as well for clarity)

emby-cap.thumb.PNG.1885c7cd0086458e89d42943b056db53.PNG

This DIRECTORY request completes 3 times - then no more SMB Traffic.  ie it has no Permissions to read the actual file even though it can 'see' it.  

This is from the same file via VLC ..

vlc-cap.thumb.PNG.7f4f1f43c55a148d090416b6f36377dd.PNG

Exact same DIRECTORY SMB Requests but it has 'Read Request' where data is being read - it has permissions to do do, thus it works ..

rbjtech

Okay, I'm pretty sure it's using SMB

When I removed the optional path starting a movie would fail over to HTTP after a few spins

When I put the optional path back in my movie would use File access (after about 60 seconds of spinning)

Then I turned off Emby server and my movie is still playing 20 minutes into it

Looking in my logs on the NAS I don't see playback starting, but when the Shield boots I can see the initial connection.  .07 is my Shield

2022-01-29
09:06:55
Info
MEDIA-SERVER
XXXXXX
Connection
User [XXXXXX] from [(10.0.0.7)] via [CIFS(SMB3)] accessed shared folder [MyEmbyMedia].

I probably need a better tool, but that would all seem to indicate SMB(3) is being used.

ok - I agree - all evidence there suggests it is using SMB ... :(

I was sorta hoping it wasn't ...

So I guess we are back to square one - why does it work for you - and not for anybody else ... Arghhh... 🤬

• Agree 1

FrostByte

Well, I'm not sure it's really working.  At least not like it did before.  Something is going on for those 60 seconds now before it finally decides to start.  I can't tell my wife we're better using File vs HTTP anymore if she has to wait that long.  It used to be instant. 

rbjtech
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Well, I'm not sure it's really working.  At least not like it did before.  Something is going on for those 60 seconds now before it finally decides to start.  I can't tell my wife we're better using File vs HTTP anymore if she has to wait that long.  It used to be instant. 

Sure, I use the term figuratively, but the fact you have video being passed over SMB, says the 'Permissions' are there - somehow ..

• Like 1

rbjtech

Hi @ebr

I'm sure you have seen this - but could the 'All Files' configuration detailed on the link below be what we need ?

https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/manage-all-files

Explicitly :

Request All files access

An app can request All files access from the user by doing the following:

1. Declare the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission in the manifest.
  2. Use the ACTION_MANAGE_ALL_FILES_ACCESS_PERMISSION intent action to direct users to a system settings page where they can enable the following option for your app: Allow access to manage all files.

I'm not an Android Developer - so apologies if it's a lot more complex than this - we just want to try and help to resolve this  .. 😎

• Agree 1