Shield Experience 9 Release

CBers

15 hours ago, Jonz said:

I didn't attempt a reset, just installed hotfix. Uninstall the apps and reinstall. 

Glad it worked for you, I did the same and still no go for me.  You say apps, what other apps did you have to reinstall?  I have the server running on both a Windows 10 PC and on my NAS, same on both.  Mounted and remounted the NAs, installed the hotfix, uninstalled the app, running .64g app, checked setting, but still no go

'

Edited by mpg732

Anyone know why when I play 4K remux from my Emby server onto my Nvidia shield I get these weird error?
running latest hotfix and latest version of emby server for windows 10

PXL_20220118_194406749.jpg

rbjtech
4 hours ago, Nyder said:

Anyone know why when I play 4K remux from my Emby server onto my Nvidia shield I get these weird error?
running latest hotfix and latest version of emby server for windows 10

PXL_20220118_194406749.jpg

The issue is you are trying to play DTS-HD on a system that does not support it - thus emby is having to transcode/repackage.

Try choosing a compatible audio track BEFORE you press play - likely an AC3 track.   It should then direct-play.

9 hours ago, mpg732 said:

Glad it worked for you, I did the same and still no go for me.  You say apps, what other apps did you have to reinstall?  I have the server running on both a Windows 10 PC and on my NAS, same on both.  Mounted and remounted the NAs, installed the hotfix, uninstalled the app, running .64g app, checked setting, but still no go

'

Hi, my situation is slightly different as I run the Emby server v4.7.0.20beta on my Nvidia Shield with the media stored on my NAS. The NAS drives are mounted on the Shield. I am using Kodi with emby-next-gen v6.2.6 plugin to watch all my medias on Emby. So far direct play is working for me on Shield TV Pro 2019 and Shield TV Tube 2019 in my house. Direct Play also works with the Emby App on my phone.

So far the app that i had to reinstall were all the file explorers & Kodi. I have not got into an issue with the others yet so far. 

Audiomixer

I think if you see folders but no files, uninstall the app and reinstall. What I do for good measure (and I don’t know if it helps) is delete cache and data on that particular app then uninstall and reinstall then double check permissions to make sure they are set right.

4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

The issue is you are trying to play DTS-HD on a system that does not support it - thus emby is having to transcode/repackage.

Try choosing a compatible audio track BEFORE you press play - likely an AC3 track.   It should then direct-play.

My Soundbar supports DTSX, I connected the shield to the soundbar directly and it plays DTS-HD/DTS audio tracks on Non-REMUX MKV's fine with no transcoding (Like it did before the recent update) however ALL remux MKV's 4K or 1080P stutter until I change the sound track to a non DTS-HD track.

Non REMUX MKV's play fine with DTS-HD/DTSX.

Nyd

CBers
5 hours ago, Nyder said:

My Soundbar supports DTSX, I connected the shield to the soundbar directly and it plays DTS-HD/DTS audio tracks on Non-REMUX MKV's fine with no transcoding (Like it did before the recent update) however ALL remux MKV's 4K or 1080P stutter until I change the sound track to a non DTS-HD track.

Nyd

You might want to open a new discussion thread in the Android TV forum and submit logs etc., so that @ebr can review.

rbjtech
6 hours ago, Nyder said:

Nyd

ok - If this worked before the 'shield update' - then your TV must support eARC passthrough - as that is the only way you would have DTS-HD or True-HD working if you are plugging the Shield into the TV.

Have you checked the Audio settings on the shield ?  If it's set to Auto, maybe select the individual Codecs instead.  I also personally turn off the 'Dolby Processing' - as I want it to passthrough ALL codecs unaltered to my Receiver and let it do the processing, not the shield.

Edited by rbjtech

Audiomixer

Hotfix number 2 just released.

The second version of the HotFix is deploying now: Second HotFix (33.1.0.264 deployed 1/20/2022) :

• Includes Plex Media Server app which resolves issues with external storage 
  • Resolves Issues with interlaced content playback 
  • Fixes CEC volume control sometimes increments and decrements by 2 
  • Remove creation of default Android phone type folders (Ringtones, Downlods, Photos, Movies, etc) added to USB portable storage 
  • Update Match Refresh Rate String with Beta in all locations 
  • Remove preview thumbnail when taking a screen shot with the menu button 
  • Resolves Long press of Brand button on Xbox one controller does not invoke Stadia more than once

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481434/shield-experience-upgrade-90-hotfix-image/3201289/

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Thanks 2

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

Hotfix number 2 just released.

The second version of the HotFix is deploying now: Second HotFix (33.1.0.264 deployed 1/20/2022) :

• Includes Plex Media Server app which resolves issues with external storage 
  • Resolves Issues with interlaced content playback 
  • Fixes CEC volume control sometimes increments and decrements by 2 
  • Remove creation of default Android phone type folders (Ringtones, Downlods, Photos, Movies, etc) added to USB portable storage 
  • Update Match Refresh Rate String with Beta in all locations 
  • Remove preview thumbnail when taking a screen shot with the menu button 
  • Resolves Long press of Brand button on Xbox one controller does not invoke Stadia more than once

Not much of interest for myself, but I went ahead and downloaded it.

Audiomixer

These two were the only ones I saw.

• Fixes CEC volume control sometimes increments and decrements by 2 
  • Like 1

daniel.bmyer

Not sure if this was covered but I'm having problems playing any of my ripped blu rays from my Unraid Server. I have emby server installed via a docker on my unraid server and run emby on my Nvidia Shield. Every since applying the latest Shield/Android update all my movies just freeze up about 30seconds into playing. I can't watch any of them.

I'll have to be honest not sure what the http vs file playback means. I'm assuming all that is handled by the emby docker.

Not sure what to do at this moment. Is there a way to downgrade to last version or should I just wait until a proper fix is implemented?

How does one get the beta app?

Edited by daniel.bmyer

Spaceboy
48 minutes ago, daniel.bmyer said:

Not sure if this was covered but I'm having problems playing any of my ripped blu rays from my Unraid Server. I have emby server installed via a docker on my unraid server and run emby on my Nvidia Shield. Every since applying the latest Shield/Android update all my movies just freeze up about 30seconds into playing. I can't watch any of them.

I'll have to be honest not sure what the http vs file playback means. I'm assuming all that is handled by the emby docker.

Not sure what to do at this moment. Is there a way to downgrade to last version or should I just wait until a proper fix is implemented?

this sounds similar to a problem i've been having and hadnt yet had the time to report. Since around the time of the SE9 update (there was a server and app release around the same time) I've had issues direct playing anything of even mid range bit rate. The video just pauses constantly. The same video will play fine on other clients and also plays fine if a force a remux by selecting playback correction, despite it being no different in bit rate terms.

I've been meaning to test my other shield, which hasnt yet updated, to confirm. hopefully tonight...

I only have one 2019 Nvidia Shield that’s connected to our main TV and Sonos Arc sound bar, so I’ve  been hesitant on upgrading based on all the issues I’m seeing. 
Is there an ETA on when the issues will be resolved?  Thank you 

34 minutes ago, JulesC said:

I only have one 2019 Nvidia Shield that’s connected to our main TV and Sonos Arc sound bar, so I’ve  been hesitant on upgrading based on all the issues I’m seeing. 
Is there an ETA on when the issues will be resolved?  Thank you 

Hi.  All the critical issues I am aware of are related to the Nvidia update so the Nvidia forums would be the best source of info for that.

• Thanks 1

FrostByte
5 hours ago, daniel.bmyer said:

Direct File access just allowed the client to directly access the media without it having to be streamed to the client via Emby server.  Docker has nothing to do with it.  From the sounds of it this isn't coming back though.  You can check which it's using with SFN, but if you never set it up then you probably have never used it before.

The latest beta is usually posted in the testing forums top of the post below

daniel.bmyer

Well, this is embarrassing. Turns out my server was doing a parity check when I was trying to play a movie. Didn't notice this until I actually went to the server to inspect a few possible causes. Once the parity check finished, everything is back to normal and no issues playing any 4k remuxes. That's a relief!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spaceboy
On 24/01/2022 at 14:57, Spaceboy said:

this sounds similar to a problem i've been having and hadnt yet had the time to report. Since around the time of the SE9 update (there was a server and app release around the same time) I've had issues direct playing anything of even mid range bit rate. The video just pauses constantly. The same video will play fine on other clients and also plays fine if a force a remux by selecting playback correction, despite it being no different in bit rate terms.

I've been meaning to test my other shield, which hasnt yet updated, to confirm. hopefully tonight...

well it turned out my issue was something related to server version .20. all back to normal after updating to .21

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 1

well still cannot get direct file play to work, installed the two hotfix's, tried removing the app and reinstalling, mounted and unmounted the NAS many times, App vers .64g Running server on windows 10 pc version 4.6.7.0, still no luck.  Also .64g is buggy, locks up the shield often, especially when trying to stop playback of large bitrate files, have to unplug the shield to reset it.

Edited by mpg732

rbjtech
12 hours ago, mpg732 said:

well still cannot get direct file play to work, installed the two hotfix's, tried removing the app and reinstalling, mounted and unmounted the NAS many times, App vers .64g Running server on windows 10 pc version 4.6.7.0, still no luck.  Also .64g is buggy, locks up the shield often, especially when trying to stop playback of large bitrate files, have to unplug the shield to reset it.

Direct Play no longer works - and I don't think the Emby team are going to fix it ... :(

Do you have issues with using HTTP ?  If yes, please can you expand ?

adamsuail

Shield tv is my main media consumption device, android and iOS is only used if am traveling once a year.

Am now back to the basics, access samba with xplore and stream with the good old vlc ... thanks emby ! !

BTW, http streaming does work as always and I have Plex pass which is very good with that but I switched to emby solely for direct file access option because my media is hosted on a raspberry pi4 and I don't like the CPU usage on this thing.

Emby uses double the amount of RAM compared to Plex..I have no use of it anymore. 

13 hours ago, mpg732 said:

Also .64g is buggy, locks up the shield often, especially when trying to stop playback of large bitrate files, have to unplug the shield to reset it.

I believe that is probably related to this firmware update as opposed to the app but can you please start a new thread with details?

Thanks.