Shield Experience 9 Release

CBers

Could a user of Shield 2015 confirm they cannot play DV content (HDR10 works fine however). I seem to remember reading somewhere that only the new version do work with Dolby Vision, but don't seem to be able to find that info again

Edited by 3djc

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, 3djc said:

Could a user of Shield 2015 confirm they cannot play DV content (HDR10 works fine however). I seem to remember reading somewhere that only the new version do work with Dolby Vision, but don't seem to be able to find that info again

16 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

To answer some questions, the direct access hasn’t worked in any beta of android 11. Been trying to get this to work myself for quite some time on android 11 but no dice.  That seems borked. The external storage spoken about refers to external storage used on the shield such as usb storage that houses plex data. Fortunately it doesn’t affect Emby as far as I know. Also DV will never come to pre 2019 shield devices due to licensing and hardware limitations.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ya, Audiomixer has an older Shield and has been running the beta for some time now so he would have firsthand experience.  Paying Dolby for a bunch of licenses on older Shields would cost them a lot I would imagine.  Anyway, it's easy to tell.  Just go to display settings and if you don't see DV listed then the TV and/or the Shield doesn't support DV.

Even if it doesn't support it, you can still play DV profile 7 and profile 8.1 media until you get a 2019 because both those profiles have a HDR10 base layer and the RPU will just get ignored. DV profile 5 is the one that will look all green or purple because the BL isn't HDR10.

• Like 1

Audiomixer
11 minutes ago, 3djc said:

Thanks for ruining my dream ! :D

ok, shield 2019, here I come !

I would not get the tube version though. It’s 32bit and half the storage of the pro model. It’s been reported that it can have trouble with full remux material.

• Like 1

Clearly not the tube, we definitely agree on that. No storage issue for me since Emby runs on my synology, but yeah. I did bump into profile 5 already, so I know the feeling!

Thanks to both of you 

Edited by 3djc

CBers
1 hour ago, Audiomixer said:

It must be because I could never get it to work since being on android 11 while I could on my other shield which was still on 8.2.3 running the exact same server and app back when we were testing the server. The android tv app worked fine except for this issue of direct file. We spent quite a bit of time on this back in November but never got around to finish it as the server was the main focus.

Whilst you were running the Android 11 beta for Nvidia, was there any mention of fixing this issue before release?

Audiomixer

Not with nvidia. We did discuss this back in November here but it didn’t get pushed as we were focused on the server side. The fix could be simple for example if one sets the files and media to allow all the time in VLC permissions, the mounted nas mount point is totally accessible. As @FrostByte pointed out earlier in this thread, that permission point appears to be missing. Perhaps @ebr can take a look at this as well.

Edited by Audiomixer

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

Not with nvidia. We did discuss this back in November here but it didn’t get pushed as we were focused on the server side. The fix could be simple for example if one sets the files and media to allow all the time in VLC permissions, the mounted nas mount point is totally accessible. As @FrostByte pointed out earlier in this thread, that permission point appears to be missing. Perhaps @ebr can take a look at this as well.

I believe @FrostByte said he could get access to the shares via X-plore (as it has the permissions option) but the Emby direct still did not work - which makes perfect sense, there is no point in applying Application layer permissions/segmenting if another App can just overwrite it .. ?

CBers
5 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

So you're saying it's the ATV app at fault here, not the SE9 release?

Audiomixer

I am thinking so. I know android 11 has been a pain with permissions but when that is sorted out in the app, it should work.

FrostByte

I assume from reading elsewhere there was a change in SE9 for security reasons so the apps can't just go out and grab what they want, and instead they have to be granted access by the Shield first.  Then the apps need to be changed to see those changes.  That's just a WAG on my part though

• Agree 1

Audiomixer
Just now, FrostByte said:

I assume from reading elsewhere there was a change in SE9 for security reasons so the apps can't just go out and grab what they want, and instead they have to be granted access by the Shield first.  Then the apps need to be changed to see those changes.  That's just a WAG on my part though

I think you are correct.

markt804

Since updating both my 2015 and 2017 Shields, motion compensation/hardware deinterlacing is no longer working and it appears to have reverted back to a field combination method. I have noticed this on 576i h.264 content encoded with top field first. This is very noticeable as it effectively halves the frame rate from 50 to 25fps.

rbjtech
15 minutes ago, markt804 said:

Since updating both my 2015 and 2017 Shields, motion compensation/hardware deinterlacing is no longer working and it appears to have reverted back to a field combination method. I have noticed this on 576i h.264 content encoded with top field first. This is very noticeable as it effectively halves the frame rate from 50 to 25fps.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481612/bug-problem-with-1080i-50hz-content-in-new-shield-/

yep - seems this release has a few issues .. 

• Like 1

FrostByte

I would monitor the hotfixes in their forums.  I signed up for hotfixes and already got the first.  It sounds like another is coming soon

• Like 1

FrostByte
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

See if the latest beta of the app gives you the proper permission setting.

Ok, well it does work now, though it shows a spinning circle for a very long time.  I sent you two logs user Rick.  First log sent at 1446 EST while the spinning circle was showing and then the second one was sent immediately after the movie started.  However, it does show File access now.

It used to be that direct access would start quicker, but now it shows the spinning circle and HTTP seems quicker at least as far as starting up

CBers
16 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

It used to be that direct access would start quicker, but now it shows the spinning circle and HTTP seems quicker at least as far as starting up

That's why I've never used it, as it is quicker to start via the HTTP method. 

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

FrostByte
12 minutes ago, CBers said:

Odd.  It never used to be for me.  It was almost instant with no spinning circle at all.  HTTP always shows a spinning circle for a second.

It must have something to do with our setups which are different.   

Maybe ebr can see something going on while the spinning circle is going on so long now.

Edited by FrostByte

rbjtech
32 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Ok, well it does work now, though it shows a spinning circle for a very long time.  I sent you two logs user Rick.  First log sent at 1446 EST while the spinning circle was showing and then the second one was sent immediately after the movie started.  However, it does show File access now.

If I recall, it has to build some sort of mounting points - so maybe it needs a bit of time to do that - again ?  

During the spinning circle - is the file being opened on your NAS/File Server ?

15 minutes ago, CBers said:

For me the file method is quicker - both are within a second or two, but I prefer simply not having an intermediate step using unnecessary cpu and network (if using a NAS). 

Edited by rbjtech

FrostByte

Not sure how to tell if it's done.  If I go into my mounted shares setting on the Shield it shows them all and calculates their sizes.  I can also start playing video instantly with X-plore like I used to with ATV

FrostByte

Resource monitor on the NAS jumped as soon as I hit play on a movie in ATV.  Still spinning at startup.  I can't see what files are being accessed in my logs though

FrostByte

@ebrdoes ATV need to be added to NAS storage access?  I'm not sure because it says write access, but the standard app is there

Settings_20220113_155558.png.5a0baf7361dca0dcf308c359fd46931b.png

Audiomixer

Well I cannot get it to work even with the behind the scenes help of @FrostByte. We have the same type of setup. When I did use it I too, as @CBers said, found it slower on the startup.