Shield Experience 9 Release

CBers

adamsuail
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What specific problem did you have with using our player over http?

It works fine for most people but not for me, I like to fast forward a lot...the most responsive way is to play the file off smb.

The second and the main reason is that my files are on a raspberry pi which is a tiny arm PC and it's running over 10 essential services so I don't like to keep the processor busy with playback or transcoding when it's busy serving other stuff to my family...that's all there is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, adamsuail said:

I like to fast forward a lot...the most responsive way is to play the file off smb

Have you actually identified any issue with that using http after the Nvidia update?

adamsuail
54 minutes ago, ebr said:

Have you actually identified any issue with that using http after the Nvidia update?

I did, that's why I was disparately looking for an alternative.

I compared videos and I feel there is a color shift and loss of details in dark scenes when playing direct file vs http...for some videos though, not all my media.

After all, Raspberry pi is not suitable for any transcoding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adamsuail said:

I compared videos and I feel there is a color shift and loss of details in dark scenes when playing direct file vs http

Hi.  The file contents are exactly the same regardless of how it is delivered.  Whatever you thought you were seeing was either coincidental or a placebo effect I'm afraid.  This is very easy to fool yourself into unfortunately.

Heck, Monster created a hugely profitable business based on that :D .

lightsout

Should we expect DFA to work again in the future or is it blocked now with Android 11. Every guide or instruction I ever read here was that DFA was the better way to go.

Just now, lightsout said:

Every guide or instruction I ever read here was that DFA was the better way to go

Where?  We have never stated that.

lightsout
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Where?  We have never stated that.

Maybe I am misunderstanding DFA.

I stand corrected, should we expect it to return?

Edited by lightsout

rbjtech
16 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding DFA.

I stand corrected, should we expect it to return?

You are not - DFA is a much more efficient way to deliver video content to the end user client, especially on lower powered server hardware .. but arguing the case seems to be a lost cause. :(

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

lightsout
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

You are not - DFA is a much more efficient way to deliver video content to the end user client, especially on lower powered server hardware .. but arguing the case seems to be a lost cause. :(

I remember a couple times I was having issues, and realized direct access was broken, I seem to remember it was related to skipping? Maybe HTTP has a much slower buffer. Can't remember.

So I am getting the feeling that Emby Dev's are saying this is how it is going to be now, @ebr care to comment? Or maybe I just need to read the whole thread?

37 minutes ago, lightsout said:

This is what I was referring to.

stuff.PNG

This isn't any of those apps...  and we should remove Theater from that note as it is not important for you to do this for that app.

lightsout
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

This isn't any of those apps...  and we should remove Theater from that note as it is not important for you to do this for that app.

So is HTTP the way forward @ebr, is DFA blocked now with Android 11?

• Like 2

rbjtech
10 hours ago, lightsout said:

So is HTTP the way forward @ebr, is DFA blocked now with Android 11?

There is a 'difference of opinion' 🤔 - Nvidia state and many testers (myself included) have shown that the Emby App needs 'Full Access' for SMB to work properly (actually read the contents of the file, it currently only attempts the file 'listing' - proven with network packet traces).  This has also been the case for other Apps that need DFA - such as VLC, X-Plore etc - without the said Permission, they do not work either and only 'list' the file system.  They have however corrected their Apps to give said permission - thus, they now fully work.  Emby has not, thus it does not ...

The one 'oddity' is on @FrostByte setup - he IS using SMB and it eventually 'works' after a long delay - but nobody can advise how or why, for everybody else, SMB does not work and it falls back to HTTP.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lightsout said:

This is what I was referring to.

stuff.PNG

Where did this come from?  I cannot find that note in our KB.  Thanks.

rbjtech

Yay !

I reverted back to Android 9 on my Shield ... :)

A couple of 'oh crap' moments - but it's all back - with the Upgrade button firmly switched to OFF !

Playback, FF, RWD, Chapter selection is now instant - on a 90Mbit/sec 4K Remux, as it was before ... not a 'buffering/loading' circle in sight .. 🤪

Emby_20220203_205815.thumb.png.419de7d41be3f1adcbe4762fdca8544e.png

Settings_20220203_205936.thumb.png.f451fcfc1dd25fae25000a0de86d5c1a.png

1973721699_AndroidTVHome_20220203_205746.thumb.png.0f07bedce31b5491b6d2a48f0b21913a.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 3

FrostByte
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Yay !

A couple of 'oh crap' moments - but it's all back - with the Upgrade button firmly switched to OFF !

Playback is now instant - on a 90Mbit/sec 4K Remux, as it was before ... 

Excellent.  When it's working correctly DFA should always be better than streaming back through server and then to the client.   

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Excellent.  When it's working correctly DFA should always be better than streaming back through server and then to the client.   

It clearly is - it's a shame I don't have a 2nd Shield (with the upgrade) to do a side by side comparison using exactly the same network/emby server/disk etc but I do have the pcap's I did previously, so I can compare those.  I'll do that tomorrow..

edit - For those that want to attempt the 'downgrade' - the online guides are a bit 'sketchy' to say these least - so I'm happy to post how I did this this (via PM) but with the full understanding that this is entirely at your own risk.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

but i can play the 4k of gemini man (90Mb/s) over http also without "a 'buffering/loading' circle in sight .." 🤯

Edited by Spaceboy

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

but i can play the 4k of gemini man (90Mb/s) over http also without "a 'buffering/loading' circle in sight .." 🤯

Everyone's setup is different.  HTTP it is totally acceptable to most otherwise no one would ever use ATV.  Others may still need that little extra DFA gives you.

Even ebr has said in the past that DFA can help, but it's just not worth the effort right now because HTTP has improved a lot since DFA was first introduced.

Edited by FrostByte

lightsout
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Yay !

Playback, FF, RWD, Chapter selection is now instant - on a 90Mbit/sec 4K Remux, as it was before ... not a 'buffering/loading' circle in sight .. 🤪

Emby_20220203_205815.thumb.png.419de7d41be3f1adcbe4762fdca8544e.png

Settings_20220203_205936.thumb.png.f451fcfc1dd25fae25000a0de86d5c1a.png

1973721699_AndroidTVHome_20220203_205746.thumb.png.0f07bedce31b5491b6d2a48f0b21913a.png

I have not taken the update but noticed I was using HTTP, I am in the beta program, not sure if that is related.

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Everyone's setup is different.  HTTP it is totally acceptable to most otherwise no one would ever use ATV.  Others may still need that little extra DFA gives you.

Even ebr has said in the past that DFA can help, but it's just not worth the effort right now because HTTP has improved a lot since DFA was first introduced.

but no-one asking for it has actually demonstrated that they need it. they just want it because

FrostByte
48 minutes ago, lightsout said:

I have not taken the update but noticed I was using HTTP, I am in the beta program, not sure if that is related.

File access setup is not automatic and requires a rather difficult configuration which doesn't always work for everyone.  If you're using HTTP access successfully now then I wouldn't hold back updating just because of DFA.

FrostByte
Just now, Spaceboy said:

but no-one asking for it has actually demonstrated that they need it. they just want it because

For some of us yes it can be nitpicking fractions of seconds, but there have been a few people who said they've had problems since losing it.  Not sure how anyone can actually prove DFA is needed other than express what they are seeing.  

I did learn from this discussion that refresh switching can slow startup.  I've turned that off now because it didn't really seem to help anything for me.

10 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

For some of us yes it can be nitpicking fractions of seconds, but there have been a few people who said they've had problems since losing it. 

Actually there have been problems reported by some since the Nvidia update. Singling out the file access being the culprit in this situation is a complete guess at best. 

12 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Not sure how anyone can actually prove DFA is needed other than express what they are seeing.  

The problem is people are easily fooled by what they think they are seeing. Take the recent conclusion by a user that file access was quicker for seeking when both tests were actually via http.

Bottom line, there are a lot of changed variables here.